Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Tunnel Closed

• 11-09-2016 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Dock Road inbound at a standstill, no info on the tunnel website.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Closed due to an 'incident'. Will remain closed until tomorrow morning. Aaroadwatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Derbhoy

Some Thicko Farmer pulling a trailer of Hay caused it , although I thought the Tunnel Barriers would have prevented his getting in to it if it was detected as being over height!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Derbhoy wrote: »
    Some Thicko Farmer pulling a trailer of Hay caused it , although I thought the Tunnel Barriers would have prevented his getting in to it if it was detected as being over height!

They would come down he probably just ploughed on through them and got stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

If the above is true, he was especially thick to be pulling a load like that in todays wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,016 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Farmers shouldn't be let out of their fields.

Ruin the roads for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

moleyv wrote: »
    Farmers shouldn't be let out of their fields.

Ruin the roads for everyone.

Makes sense. :rolleyes:

Makes sense.

I'd happily pay a premium on all my food goods if they were imported just to have farmers off our roads.

Maybe that's just me (more than likely), but I'd prefer a rat to run across my face than be stuck behind a gombeen farmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'd happily pay a premium on all my food goods if they were imported just to have farmers off our roads.

Maybe that's just me (more than likely), but I'd prefer a rat to run across my face than be stuck behind a gombeen farmer.

But all your food goods are already imported.......I mean, no-one grows bananas or nuts in Ireland...

tippman1 wrote:
    But all your food goods are already imported.......I mean, no-one grows bananas or nuts in Ireland...

I'd liken farmers more towards that species than myself.

In any event and more tunnel related, are they doing one lane in each direction through the south bound tunnel.

The ramp is closed to head north off the roundabout with the N69.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

It as a truck so good chance it was not been driven by a farmer.

And he drove through barriers so ..............

Anyways they are going to open the other side for contra flow

- I got all this from the article that is linked above ..................

macjohn wrote:
    - I got all this from the article that is linked above ..................

To be fair, in that article,

1st on the image it says oversized tractor

2nd it refers to an oversized agricultural vehicle

3rd: quote from tunnel rep saying truck.

So from that fantastic journalism, who knows....

Look at this gob shíte. Did a nice bit of damage too.

14305327_1239324482754377_2294673583269758026_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

To be fair, in that article,

1st on the image it says oversized tractor

2nd it refers to an oversized agricultural vehicle

3rd: quote from tunnel rep saying truck.

So from that fantastic journalism, who knows....

Fair point. A artic truck is often referred to as the tractor unit.

So the author may have not been familiar or else overly familiar with the terms or more likely their source were familiar with the usage of language in the sector.

Anyways the pic is now updated with a pic of a renault truck ( renault tractor unit!! :-) )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Amusing that this happens a few days after CIE gave out about dumb truck drivers hitting bridges with over height vehicles, causing the truckers federation to threaten legal action unless the comment was withdrawn.

Looks like CIE were pretty accurate.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Dock road was very busy this evening, around half five. Going to be mayhem tomorrow I suspect in spite of the contra flow in the tunnel.
    I see in the article, he ignored the barriers and signs, hope he gets billed accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Maybe its time for AGS to start enforcing the law.
    See many straw/ hay carriers on the roads and not many are below the limit, see attached link.
    If it was an overloading, they would be after it like a rash.

http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2013/maximum-vehicle-heights-change-november-1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Looks like the barriers never went down, as they are not damaged in the photo?

I thought the barriers were supposed to go down automatically when an over height vehicle is detected?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

elastico wrote: »

I thought the barriers were supposed to go down automatically when an over height vehicle is detected?

From the photos, the barrier on the right is higher than the one on the left, and the truck is right in the middle, maybe the driver decided to just drive between them instead of stopping?

• Advertisement

elastico wrote: »

Driven that tunnel hundreds of times. Use it at least 4 times a week. Never once noticed those barriers :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Dock road was very busy this evening, around half five. Going to be mayhem tomorrow I suspect in spite of the contra flow in the tunnel.
    I see in the article, he ignored the barriers and signs, hope he gets billed accordingly.

This might be a stupid question.

How could you perform a contraflow in the tunnel? Aren't both tunnels physically separated from each other?

Can't see how northbound traffic could drive through the southbound tunnel, unless it was driving the wrong way up the N18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Couldn't have been a farm vehicle. If it was the driver would have been 11 years old....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question.

How could you perform a contraflow in the tunnel? Aren't both tunnels physically separated from each other?

There's a removable section of the central divider just outside of the tunnel on either end, probably for exactly this purpose (and to allow emergency access, etc.).

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

TBH I've just read it in a few articles, but I'm assuming they have a section of the central median near the tunnel itself at both ends that can be moved, then with traffic cones and a 50 kph limit they can manage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

dennyk wrote: »
    There's a removable section of the central divider just outside of the tunnel on either end, probably for exactly this purpose (and to allow emergency access, etc.).

Good to know

Major bottleneck I'd expect. Loads of merging etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 A.mechanic

Are they going to reduce the toll fee for having both directions going thru the one tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There must be some driving offence the Gardaí can charge that sod with.

• Advertisement

A.mechanic wrote: »
    Are they going to reduce the toll fee for having both directions going thru the one tunnel.

When pigs fly I'd say.

Advertisement