Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Tunnel Closed

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

grogi wrote: »
    The beauty of it is even if you don't break on time, the only thing that happens is you get wet... ;)

And worse still, the farmers load of hay would get all wet too....!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

that would frighten the sh!t out of me, seeing that for the first time

thats the idea!
    it looks like a physical barrier so more likely to stop, however if you dont stop in time all that happens is you get wet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Allegedly, the truck driver actually stopped before the barriers, reversed back to re-position himself to drive through the little gap left between the barriers, and shortly after entering the tunnel once it became apparent he made a big mistake, attempted to reverse out......

Any idea why this section of the tunnel is still 50km ph,?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was wondering that myself. Two possible reasons I think.
    1. Some form of equipment still needs to be replaced, and they are leaving it at the reduced rate until it's replaced
    2. Someone forgot to flick the switch to change it back to 80

I see that overhead led bar is still gone, so maybe that's enough to keep it slow.

Which no one is doing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Would be absolute carnage if people tried to drive at 50kph :eek:

On a slightly related topic - does anyone know why they're doing all the work in the centre median bits further out the dual carriageway towards Shannon?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cartman78 wrote: »
    On a slightly related topic - does anyone know why they're doing all the work in the centre median bits further out the dual carriageway towards Shannon?

I think it was said somewhere earlier in this thread that the idea is to have a system similar to the one at the tunnel. When one carriageway was closed, the other could be divided into two lanes, with access across the centre median. The same capacity could be useful on other stretches of the road in the case of an accident or an oil spill or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The last time they put down tarmac on that road in the middle was between bunratty south and bunratty north to enable contra flow so they could resurface both sides comfortably. Remember in the Shannon direction there was nearly a speed bump or bunny hop in the overtaking lane under the bridge. That was kind of dangerous. Haha.

They seem to be making that new tarmac bit look very permanent though. Gonna fill it with gatso vans?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Berty wrote: »
    The last time they put down tarmac on that road in the middle was between bunratty south and bunratty north to enable contra flow so they could resurface both sides comfortably. Remember in the Shannon direction there was nearly a speed bump or bunny hop in the overtaking lane under the bridge. That was kind of dangerous. Haha.

They seem to be making that new tarmac bit look very permanent though. Gonna fill it with gatso vans?
    Could it to do with the lack of alternative routes between Bunratty and the start of the Tunnel scheme? The N18 was dualled online along there so there's no alternative route to divert traffic onto in the event of an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Meant to say viable alternative routes! e.g. between Shannon and Gort there's the old N18/R458.

The Old Cratloe Rd isn't really suitable for the level of traffic that uses the N18 between Bunratty and the Radisson.

Advertisement