Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on, what bike (I'm picky)

• 11-09-2016 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭

I've been off bikes for the past 6/7 years and am now looking to get back on.
    I feel like I'm to old for an out and out sports bike but don't think I want to get on a full on tourer so maybe a sports tourer.
    My history includes
    CBR 250 great fun.
    Transalp, great fun, comfortable, just lacking a bit of power.
    F650gs, comfortable, maybe a bit to sensible (that could be what I need though now) but maybe a bit to dependent on electronics to make it go
    CBR600RR, scared the bejesus out of me but was fun, wasn't the most comfortable
    CBR600F, fun, not as uncomfortable as the RR

Im only 5'7 so it's limited me a bit, it'll be mainly used for commutes, messing at the weekends and a bit of travel. I do also prefer full fairings. Speed isn't an issue but if it can tick along at 120 and not be breaking its bollox doing it.

As for budget I'll try and keep it below 5k and am happy to pick it up in the UK.

Im open to all suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

hairyslug wrote: »
    I've been off bikes for the past 6/7 years and am now looking to get back on.
    I feel like I'm to old for an out and out sports bike but don't think I want to get on a full on tourer so maybe a sports tourer.
    My history includes
    CBR 250 great fun.
    Transalp, great fun, comfortable, just lacking a bit of power.
    F650gs, comfortable, maybe a bit to sensible (that could be what I need though now) but maybe a bit to dependent on electronics to make it go
    CBR600RR, scared the bejesus out of me but was fun, wasn't the most comfortable
    CBR600F, fun, not as uncomfortable as the RR

Im only 5'7 so it's limited me a bit, it'll be mainly used for commutes, messing at the weekends and a bit of travel. I do also prefer full fairings. Speed isn't an issue but if it can tick along at 120 and not be breaking its bollox doing it.

As for budget I'll try and keep it below 5k and am happy to pick it up in the UK.

Im open to all suggestions.

Fazer 1000 / FZ1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Something nice and relaxing to get you back into the swing of things then the world is your oyster. Maybe a V-Strom 1000 or a Kwacker Versys 1000 very nice bikes not mental fast and well able for anything you throw at it.

Also the likes of a Suzuki Bandit or CBF1000....get to a big dealers and you will find what looks good to you.

Welcome back to the good life bruh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

An old Buell might be an idea. That's gonna be my next bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Roadskill wrote: »

Would be perfect for me, looks great but money isn't available yet, need to sell a house 1st.

I've had a look at a NC700, anyone have any experience on them, reviews seem good but a low rev range and an auto option that I wouldn't trust to much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Hard to fault my f650gs, 800cc twin cyl model, loads of grunt, 90mph cruising, 70mpg, no chicken strips, all day comfort, really light to move around, high enough to see over most stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'll go mad here and suggest a a cruiser?.

I've grown up with sports bikes, tourers, sports tourers and now a adventure/duel sport.

I've really grown to love the comfort, reliability and fuel consumption of my present bike (Suzuki DL650 Vstrom) but at 5'7'' something along the lines of a Vstrom (650 or 1000) might be a bit tall for you.

So, a cruiser?.

I'll go mad here and suggest a a cruiser?.

I've grown up with sports bikes, tourers, sports tourers and now a adventure/duel sport.

I've really grown to love the comfort, reliability and fuel consumption of my present bike (Suzuki DL650 Vstrom) but at 5'7'' something along the lines of a Vstrom (650 or 1000) might be a bit tall for you.

So, a cruiser?.

I do prefer the sports/tourer/adventure type but have to say the Vulcan may change my mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I do prefer the sports/tourer/adventure type but have to say the Vulcan may change my mind

I only threw the cruiser out as a wild card suggestion.

I've only ever rode some mates cruisers and didn't think they were as comfortable as they looked.

I found in traffic my legs got tired lifting them forward to the pegs.. I've fairly big, heavy legs and with boots I found myself getting tired and sore after awhile.

I only threw the cruiser out as a wild card suggestion.

I've only ever rode some mates cruisers and didn't think they were as comfortable as they looked.

I found in traffic my legs got tired lifting them forward to the pegs.. I've fairly big, heavy legs and with boots I found myself getting tired and sore after awhile.

I was comfortable on the f650, it's about the same height as the dl650.
    I think I have it narrowed down the the V-strom, versys and the nc700/750 but I think I may get bored stupid on the Honda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Would be perfect for me, looks great but money isn't available yet, need to sell a house 1st.

I've had a look at a NC700, anyone have any experience on them, reviews seem good but a low rev range and an auto option that I wouldn't trust to much.

I have the 750X version DCT. I cant fault it as a commuter bike. Even with hard acceleration and swiftly moving on the motorway I get 70mpg. Alot report 90mpg if ridden like a saint. I did lower my bike as me little legs couldn't flat foot comfortably. As for the DCT (auto) I love it. It goes up and down gears without a hicup. If im in heavy traffic or twisty roads I pop it into 'S' mode which keeps the gears low.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

I had a similar history of sports bikes before i got a Triumph street tripple
    Im 5 7 too I find the stripple brilliant the engine is fantastic , better through traffic than a sporty and with a small fairing, she'll tour nicely as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

The z1000sx is a fully faired sports tourer which does all you ask.

Engines an absolute dream (same as the versys). In low power mode it handles city without issue (though clutch can get a little heavy after a while) but if you want to have some fun it can do that too with great acceleration and decent top speed (officially 0-100 in 3.3 seconds and 0-200 in 10ish). I got her to 255kph before it acceleration started to slow a bit. Think top speed is 270ish.

Done a fair bit of touring in the mountains and the engine is great, can basically leave her in 5th or 6th gear if you want and she'll handle it no bother.

I'm 169cm which (I think) is a little taller than you thus you might feel the bikes a bit too big (saddles 855mm..?) and 240kg or so.

A bit of a negative is that she's not very economical, especially in stop go. Open road at 90 to 100 she'll do 5.6 ishl per 100km but in the city you'll be looking at mid 6's I guess.

They've been around in one form or another for quite a while now so can probably pick up a decent second hand one, especially in the UK where they're fairly popular. The built in luggage extras cost about a grand which is a bit steep but look great and have a very easy system to attach and remove. We're talking 10 seconds max.

Yes yes I love my bike haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

BKtje wrote: »
    The z1000sx is a fully faired sports tourer which does all you ask.

Engines an absolute dream (same as the versys). In low power mode it handles city without issue (though clutch can get a little heavy after a while) but if you want to have some fun it can do that too with great acceleration and decent top speed (officially 0-100 in 3.3 seconds and 0-200 in 10ish). I got her to 255kph before it acceleration started to slow a bit. Think top speed is 270ish.

Done a fair bit of touring in the mountains and the engine is great, can basically leave her in 5th or 6th gear if you want and she'll handle it no bother.

I'm 169cm which (I think) is a little taller than you thus you might feel the bikes a bit too big (saddles 855mm..?) and 240kg or so.

A bit of a negative is that she's not very economical, especially in stop go. Open road at 90 to 100 she'll do 5.6 ishl per 100km but in the city you'll be looking at mid 6's I guess.

They've been around in one form or another for quite a while now so can probably pick up a decent second hand one, especially in the UK where they're fairly popular. The built in luggage extras cost about a grand which is a bit steep but look great and have a very easy system to attach and remove. We're talking 10 seconds max.

Yes yes I love my bike haha.

Totaly agree - Great bikes
    I have one of these for sale 2013 with luggage i havnt advertised it yet, if yer interested ill send you a few photos

A lovely bike but sadly a bit to tall and heavy for me, am on the way out to Honda on Saturday to have a look at the NC, I may stop off and have a look at the f700 as well.

Advertisement