Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies recommend worth buying

• 11-09-2016 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am starting to develop a collection of movies that I feel are worth having on a physical copy. I am mainly interested in older movies from the 90's down but I do like some modern movies to.
    The Gendre that I am mainly focussed on is Action , Horror , western war , SCI fi , true stories & comedy but I like a variety of other stuff to.

recommendations always appreciated :-)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭jh79

Arrow Video and 88 Films are great for 70/80/90 's horror.

Everybody should have a copy of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Evil Dead and Madrid Max Trilogies are good and cheap blu rays all available on Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The original Star trek and star wars box set collection would be a good idea.

Also recommend Blade Runner, Terminator 1&2, Alien, Aliens, Predator, Magnificant Seven, Unforgiven, Dirty Harry, A fistful of Dollars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭jh79

Robocop and Highlander Blurays are cheap on Amazon too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I am starting to develop a collection of movies that i feel are worth having on a physical copy. I am mainly interested in older movies from the 90's down but I do like some good modern movies to .
    The Gender I am mainly interested in is ranging from Action , Horror , western war , SCI fi , true stories & possibly comedy to.

I am looking for some recommendations of movies that are worth buying and where would be the best value to buy from

Thanks in advance

Some horror must haves.

Halloween (original), readily available on Amazon. If you want to splash out Scream Factory released a lovely 15 disc blu ray set a while back, it includes all movies in the franchise to date incl a work print of part 6 iirc. The quality waned as it went on but are worth picking up. The set is region locked to the US region so you will need a multi region player. Can be gotten on Amazon.com but you will likely get stung with import tax on top of the cost.

Phantasm (hold fire though as Arrow have been teasing that they are going to release a box set, as far as I know only part two has gotten a blu ray release thus far).

Evil Dead (original), readily available on Amazon.

A Nightmare on Elm Street. Readily available.

Re-animator. The integral cut was released a while back, its basically the full cut of the movie and contains around 26 additional minutes. Its mostly filler but for the completist (like me) its a must have.

Henry : Portrait of a Serial Killer. Best serial killer movie ever.

Hellraiser.

Most of the above would be available on eBay or Amazon. Zavvi is pretty good as is the HMV UK site. They have regular 5 blus for £30 offer though you will need a parcel motel account for postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭conorhal

Alien Quadrology and Bladerunner: The final cut box sets are two items I go back to my DVD collection for frequently based on how insanely comprehensive the extras are alone. Since both came out more then 20yrs after the fims were released and consolidated their iconic status, both include VERY candid 'making of' documentaries and commentaries of the sort you never really hear, ie. an honest critique from all involved of the films and what really happened behind the scenes, which is very interesting in the case of both films given how frought their productions were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ive got a few of them some i haven't seen yet but will try get around to it when i manage to afford it . where do you buy your movies looking to build up a fantastic collection but with good stuff that will hold its value if you get me

Unless you are buying limited edition stuff then very little will be worth what you pay for it after 6 months.

I rarely buy anything nowadays unless its a special or limited edition.

And I don't mean special editions that are released by the big studios, I mean limited runs in special packaging. The likes of Arrow have released some highly collectible sets and releases over the last few years which have increased in value.

They released The Scarlet Box of the first 3 Hellraiser movies last year for example. Cost around £60 sterling iirc, is completely sold out and if you are trying to buy it now you will probably have to pay at least double its initial cost.

They also released the likes of Videodrome, Nekromantik 1 & 2, Society and Deep Red in multi disc sets which are now all sold out and change hands on eBay for substantially higher than their rrp.

I'd suggest following Arrow on Facebook as they do a monthly release schedule for pre ordering stuff.

Grindhouse Releasing over the last couple of years have released 3 disc special editions of Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Ferox, The Beyond and Pieces. Items like that will hold their value.

I find ie.wowhd.com very good for getting US only releases. They carry releases from companies like Blue Underground, Synapse, Unearthed and Grindhouse which none of the retailers over here do.They can be bought on Amazon but I've gotten stung on more than one occasion with import tax but with wowhd I've never gotten charged for import and they offer free delivery too. The delivery times can be very long but I've never had any issue with not receiving what I've ordered.

I get some stuff off eBay but that's mainly for older DVD sets that I don't have. It can be tedious but can also be worth it. For example, last week I managed to win the long out of print box set from Anchor Bay of the four "House" movies. Its in perfect nick and cost me less than €25 incl delivery.

Adverts.ie can be good for picking up a bargain too though make sure to check the feedback before agreeing to buy.

Advertisement