Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue screen of death

Options
  • 11-09-2016 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

I have got this for most of today. It wasn't the first time, had a couple of weeks ago as well. And I'm fed up with it.

I've searched on how to fix it and besides pressing f8 repeatedly to boot into safe mode, I don't have a clue what I'm doing, I'm only copying videos.

I'm in safe mode copying as much as i can to a portable hard drive.

Does anyone know if I can completely reset and wipe everything, would this fix the issue for good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

We need a bit more info.
    1. What version of windows are you running?
    2. How old is the machine?
    3. What make and model is it?
    4. Had you changed anything (new or updated software or hardware) a few weeks ago before the first BSOD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    We need a bit more info.
    1. What version of windows are you running?
    2. How old is the machine?
    3. What make and model is it?
    4. Had you changed anything (new or updated software or hardware) a few weeks ago before the first BSOD?

1. Windows 7
    2. 6 years old
    3. Dell inspiron N5010
    4. I'm not sure if i done anything. May have been regular updates that you get promoted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Just thinking out loud here, but have you tried taking a snap of the BSoD. Also try rolling the machine back using the system restore. If you have another working system, try referencing the BSoD and the the route cause. Again I'm just thinking out loud here.

I've done a system restore, and it didn't do much help. And i have no idea what you're on about with the rest.

I have everything copied onto a harddrive, I think i'll just go for it and with a clean computer. That should sort that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

You can use bluescreenview (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html) to give you more details about the error. It will actually show what system file it's failing on and allow you to troubleshoot a bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Sorry about that Raptor, more or less what me_irl said. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

As pointed out above if you can identify what the error is that could help. A similar thing happened to me a few years back. Turned out one of my sticks of RAM had failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

The Raptor wrote: »

I have everything copied onto a harddrive, I think i'll just go for it and with a clean computer. That should sort that out.

This will not fix a hardware problem which can cause a bsod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

me_irl wrote: »
    You can use bluescreenview (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html) to give you more details about the error. It will actually show what system file it's failing on and allow you to troubleshoot a bit better.
    Sarn wrote: »
    As pointed out above if you can identify what the error is that could help. A similar thing happened to me a few years back. Turned out one of my sticks of RAM had failed.
    degsie wrote: »
    This will not fix a hardware problem which can cause a bsod.

Checking the above site would give a good insight into what the problem might be.

If it's a RAM issue, sometimes re-seating the sticks can clear the problem. If you pop open the section underneath which houses the RAM, then pop each stick out and then back in again:
    396749.JPG

Are the air vents clogged with dust? If so the machine could be running hot and need a good old clean. Have a read of this before trying to clean the vents.

Thanks guys, unfortunately i done a system reset before reading the post that it won't fix the problem. But i had so much crap on the laptop, space was running out that I'm glad i got a chance to look at everything and keep what i needed. So not a waste doing that. My desktop was cluttered, i didn't know what to do with it.

I did actually try out the link above this morning after doing the system reset and nothing came up. So I'm not sure if the reset has helped or not.

I'll see this evening.

• Advertisement

I think the system reset helped. I haven't an issue all evening.

Advertisement