Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my boss wants me to report to my peer who has bullied me in the past.

Options
  • 11-09-2016 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have been employed by this charity for about 15 years. In recent years I have clashed with one of my peers. We have different ethics and opinions etc.

I had always been well supported and liked by my manager, who also managed the centre. He retired 3 years ago.

The new manager - who has worked there for ten years - is aware of our clashes (which has ben described as bullying with me being the victim).

The new manager has excluded me and has taken away tasks that I have been heavily involved in, without consulting with me.

Now I have been informed that I can no longer work on the days I want to. I have always changed my days to suit the service offered. There is no logic to this directive.

Secondly I have been told my line manager is changing. The only other person that I could report to is this colleague who is my equal in our contracts. Her role has not changed (ie she has not received a promotion).

I am horrified. I have been bullied by this person over the years and my manager is aware of this.

Can my reporting be changed so I report to a peer!? There is no HR. We are a small team working with 20 volunteers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

bob10 wrote: »

Can my reporting be changed so I report to a peer!? There is no HR. We are a small team working with 20 volunteers.

to answer simply yes, you can be told to report to anyone within the organisation.

it sucks and short of filing a grievance there's not much you can do, as you never made a formal complaint there is no record of that person bullying you.

id also remove some of the identifying factors. charity teams of 20. in operation more then 15 years etc for your own sake, the internet is great in terms of anonymity but its also pretty easy to pick up on different stuff. (you didnt say you did so yes i am making an assumption here)

whats interesting is you also dont say you are being bullied you just say someone told you they described it as bullying.

difference of opinion and ethics etc happen in the work place and volunteer sector. you dont have to be everyone friend at work. but being civil (and you seem to be implying this person isnt) is something that needs to be managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bob10

Thanks for replying.

So I can report to anyone? Even my peer who has not received a promotion? That's a real shame. But thanks for clearing that up.

Re formal complaint; I sought legal advice 18 months ago over an episode and that advice empowered me to sort that problem then. Whilst it wasn't a formal complaint I do have emails about her treatment at that time.

Three years ago the now current manager was new to the post and sympathetic and told me I was being bullied. (It does certainly feel like it). Now however she is very much involved with the other person who bullied me which is who I will probably be reporting to. I have emails and keep a log of interactions that are difficult.

I take on your comments about identifying factors. As I have nothing to hide I suppose I am not concerned if someone who works with me is wondering if this is me. But I feel so confused and unsure of myself my judgement could be wrong about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Contact NERA (The National Employment Rights Association). They are up to date with all the latest labour law and cases.

If there has been bullying, then your employer has a duty of care to you. And employers can and have been deemed responsible for workplace bullying (google Bullying Workplace LRC to see cases).

As an outsider, it looks as if you are being managed out. And if that is the case, you may have grounds for constructive dismissal. Again, google constructive dismissal.

These are just two POSSIBILITIES. I'm just a randomer on the internet. Speak with NERA who are best placed to give you advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Thanks for replying. So I can report to anyone? Even my peer who has not received a promotion? That's a real shame. But thanks for clearing that up.
    yeah, would you have a problem if they were told to report to you?

that person may have shown they have leadership skills, may understand more of the business than you, theres a million different reasons. they have effectively been given more responsibility but sometimes without a promotion or title, sometimes it easier to have one person responsible instead of 10, that way the manger can just speak to them about issues and have them filter it out.
    Re formal complaint; I sought legal advice 18 months ago over an episode and that advice empowered me to sort that problem then. Whilst it wasn't a formal complaint I do have emails about her treatment at that time.
    then that is formal.
    Three years ago the now current manager was new to the post and sympathetic and told me I was being bullied. (It does certainly feel like it). Now however she is very much involved with the other person who bullied me which is who I will probably be reporting to. I have emails and keep a log of interactions that are difficult.
    again this bothers me, you are either being bullied or your not, someone telling you they think you are being bullied is very different to you feeling you are being bullied.

bullying at work has an actual legal definition:

"repeated inappropriate behaviour, direct or indirect, whether verbal, physical or otherwise, conducted by one or more persons against another or others, at the place of work and/or in the course of employment, which could reasonably be regarded as undermining the individual‘s right to dignity at work."

if YOU think you are being bullied then take action, its reading as very wishy washy, you either are or you are not, someone telling you that you are being bullied doesnt come into it.
    I take on your comments about identifying factors. As I have nothing to hide I suppose I am not concerned if someone who works with me is wondering if this is me. But I feel so confused and unsure of myself my judgement could be wrong about that!

your choice bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

An observation: sometimes it's quite useful to report to a person who doesn't like you.

If they aren't your manager, then they have to be polite to you like they have to be polite to everyone else. But they don't have to be helpful to you.

Whereas if they are your manager, it's their job to set things up so you can perform your job well. They are responsible for your development plan. If you don't perform, then they look bad. Etc.

So establishing a reporting relationship can actually sort things out.

Also, your individual ethics and values are irrelevant in the workplace. While at work, you need to act according to the values and ethics of the company, no matter what you personally think. If you have a problem with their personal ethics, then bite your tongue - unless you have evidence that they're breaking the law in which case report it to the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 bob10

Everyone, thank you. Each comment has been helpful. Thank you bicycle for NERA. I have read the terms of employment and I will contact them for sure.

Livedadream, I have been publicly undermined in meetings. To the extent that someone new who witnessed a meeting I was attending told another worker that she didn't want to be associated with people who 'can do that to a person'. That is just one example. So whilst I felt sick during the meeting, with the treatment, sometimes when it's subtle it's hard to see it yourself for what it is.

Mrs obumble, unfortunately the ethics I have raised have been all to do with the charity. Nothing I can prove; just poor practice in general. The person I may have to report to is the person who has undermined me in meetings and whose practice I have questioned. (I have worked there for a few years before her).

Advertisement