Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grabbing brakes

Options
  • 11-09-2016 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Ultegra 6800 rear callipers with stock pads have started to grab. Not great on a fast descent when you have to stop quickly! Any advice for how to handle it or should I just change the pads? They've done a little over 2k but only look to be half worn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

For around a tenner why not just change them? If that solves your problem then you've solved your problem for about a tenner. If it doesn't, put the old ones back on and try something else. And you'll have your next replacement set of pads lined up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

More likely the cables than the pads. Bit of crap between the inners and outers could mean the brake springs are a bit hindered when taking the pads off the rims hence the grab. Check your cables and clean or replace as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Had the same problem myself recently,cable replacement was the solution for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭aimnburn

Had the same problem myself recently,cable replacement was the solution for me.

Bugger. Wouldn't have expected to do that after only 2k. Internal cables are a right pain to change. Off to my LBS it is!

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

aimnburn wrote: »
    Bugger. Wouldn't have expected to do that after only 2k. Internal cables are a right pain to change. Off to my LBS it is!

Thanks for the advice.

What type bike is it? On cubes they are very easy to change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on the conditions too. I've had a recurring problem with my rear calipers where the gunge in the actual caliper stops it from springing back effectively. Every 5,000km or so I have to strip the whole thing down, clean it and grease it up to get the spring back in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Which brake is grabbing? Front, rear or both?

If its the front wheel, the problem could be the headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭aimnburn

Thanks lads.

Its the rear brakes only. Bike is a Cannondale Synapse carbon with Mavic Aksium wheels. I had a look at the cables and calipers yesterday and they look fine and clean. I also clean the bike regularly, a good wash after every 2 or three rides and I rarely cycle in very wet weather. I also give the brake pivots a spray of wd40 around a wash.

I'll try giving the rims a more thorough clean and a light sanding of the pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

It could be a rim or pad contamination issue, maybe some oil or other liquid is making them slide/grab.
    Have you also checked that the rim is true as the brake may be always 'grabbing' on the buckled spot.

Advertisement