Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current models LG and Samsung Terrestrial and Satellite tuner TVs query

• 11-09-2016 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Looking for feedback from anyone who's bought a recent either LG or Samsung TV with both Terrestrial (saorview / freeview) and satellite tuner (maybe even freesat branded).

I have a 5 year old LG in the kitchen, but to go from a Terrestrial channel to Satellite is a right pain. It actually takes 5 button presses. Absolutely ridiculous.

The sales guys in HN and Curry's where I was today couldn't tell me, and they couldn't check either as they generally don't have the TV's connected up to the aerial / satellite.

Probably not a deal breaker, as I'll probably end up using a set top box anyways, but would be nice to know...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have a look at some of the manuals on the manufacturers websites, should give detailed info on the process involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I bought a 32" LG TV last year with sat tuner and saorview receiver built in. Pain in the a**e to change from one to the other. You might be better off buying a non-sat tuner TV and getting a decent combo box instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Yeah, I think I'll discount having a sat tuner as any advantage in choosing the TV.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

With Sony, you just have to press the Analog/Digital button to cycle between Saorview and satellite channels. However, I notice they've cut back on having satellite tuners in most of their TVs, though it appears most if not all the dearer Android ones have it.

With LG, IIRC, any model that ended with a V (eg. 32LF561V) meant it had satellite tuner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

The issue isn't with the tuner itself, the issue is that it takes several button presses to change from Saorview to Satellite...OP mentioned 5 button presses but on mine it takes 14! (Wondering how OP does it in 5???)

However, on my combo box, all of the Saorview channels are logged from 1 up and the satellite channels follow automatically in sequence so the transition from satellite to terrestrial and vice versa is seamless..

• Advertisement

exaisle wrote: »
    The issue isn't with the tuner itself, the issue is that it takes several button presses to change from Saorview to Satellite...OP mentioned 5 button presses but on mine it takes 14! (Wondering how OP does it in 5???)

Checked again. Actually 10 buttons presses!

Input
    Blue (program mode)
    Up
    Up
    Ok
    Down
    Down
    Down
    Ok
    Exit

Nuts!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I agree on that, the process is far too convoluted on LG televisions. Jesus, even current Walker TV's seem to have a better process now, where terrestrial and satellite channels are now all on same list - sat channels just start with higher numbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

is there an actual question in the OP?

I think what you are asking is whether it is any easier. I;ve an lg from this year and it's very simple, but it has the wand remote which you use to point, and it's only 1 button press.

Too late now, I went with a Panasonic model. It's only single tuner, but I'd already resigned myself to using a STB.

Advertisement