Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Presidential Candidates' Health

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

You are correct and something that needs to change. However the same goes for the other side. I am sure there are many attacking Clinton's health who thought the attacks on others were out of order and would defend Trump if he had collapsed.

Maybe the independent doctor is the way to go? Both sides take whatever they can use and this shouldn't be used without evidence imo. By either side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Eddy_Phelan

She has pneumonia - what's the big deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I thought she was "overheated"?

That's what Team Clinton said.
    Nick Merrill, a campaign spokesman for Clinton, said in a statement that the Democratic presidential nominee felt “overheated” and “departed to go to her daughter’s apartment.”

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Anyone notice her vehicle carrier has been fitted out for wheel chair access? Her collapse which follows on from a whole line of health issues from her in the last few months paints a picture of a sick person. If this was a once off then maybe you can fool most people but accompanied with pictures of her been helped walking up stairs, seizures in front of the cameras, freezes while giving speeches and constant fits of coughs shows she is not well and is hiding a serious health issue from the people. When Dr Drew said she was sick a month ago he had his show cancelled by CNN, it will be interesting if the Dems can continue to hide her health problems.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You really love to tar liberals/lefties with the same brush don't you. Nothing like generalising an entire group to make your point eh?

If Trump had a fainting fit I would be saying the exact same thing. We are forced to believe his doctors report, no matter how strange it is, because we have no contradictory evidence.

Reagan was a whole different kettle of fish. He had suffered from the early stages of dementia in his 2nd term. This was a fact. I'm too young to remember if it was an elections issue. The man was unfit to govern though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Donald Trump yesterday... “I just hope she gets well and gets back on the trail, and we’ll be seeing her at the debate.”

That's what Team Clinton said.

She did overheat. She's also suffering from pneumonia. I'm impressed she was walking around at all.

Theorise away though. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good conspiracy. She was out walking around about 2 hours after she fainted.

At this stage she should actually withdraw from the race and let Biden run. The GOP echo chamber is in full effect.

Up next on Foxnews, we ask a doctor is it possible that Hilary Clinton suffers from HIV/AIDS Bill picked up at a paedophile orgy.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Theorise away though

Thank you moderator..... we shall.

Careful speaking about truth.
    People might ask questions why your girl only mentioned her illness diagnosis after it was too obvious to hide.
    There was no press release or announcement of this serious illness on Friday or Saturday.
    Do you think her staff would announce this had the event gone off without a hitch?

• Advertisement

Ha? I don't mod this forum.

People might ask questions why your girl only mentioned her illness diagnosis after it was too obvious to hide.
    There was no press release or announcement of this serious illness on Friday or Saturday.
    Do you think her staff would announce this had the event gone off without a hitch?

My girl?

they/them/theirs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

Manach wrote: »
    Yes and the common section has also quite a number of entries about the double standards of the focus on McCain and the nothing to see here approach when it comes to Clinton.

This x100. The democrats were falling over themselves to portray McCain as on deaths door. He was too old, he was always a cancer risk, etc.etc.etc..

Late night TV shows made great hay from it

I wonder will we hear the same tune now from Senator Harry Reid?

People will be left wondering what is up with Hillary after seeing her turfed into an SUV like a bale of hay. It is just natural, no matter how many people try and tie themselves in knots trying to deny it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

People with pneumonia can't overheat?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

...is it possible that Hilary Clinton suffers from HIV/AIDS Bill picked up at a paedophile orgy.

You can prove that she doesn't though, can you? ;)

oscarBravo wrote: »
    People with pneumonia can't overheat?

I don't recall the spokesperson mentioning she had pneumonia?
    I'll read it again to be sure.

I thought the Pneumonia announcement came later?
    I'm sure you will correct me though.

If only they announced this on Friday or Saturday, they wouldn't be giving mixed messages.

I don't recall the spokesperson mentioning she had pneumonia?
    I'll read it again to be sure.

I thought the Pneumonia announcement came later?
    I'm sure you will correct me though.

If only they announced this on Friday or Saturday, they wouldn't be giving mixed messages.

Then people would still be saying she is hiding something more serious except the discussion would have kicked off on Friday and whether or not anything had gone wrong yesterday. That is why they didn't announce it.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    That is why they didn't announce it.

Good that that is cleared up.

Do you think they would have announced it had she completed the event without any issues?

I typed this earlier but boards ate it.

Ha? I don't mod this forum.

My girl? Hilarious

Why would they announce she had pneumonia, it would only damage her publicly, as we see now. The right thing to do, politically was keep it quiet and hope it got better. And that's fine, because having pneumonia doesn't make someone unfit for office. It makes them unwell for a short time.

But you can chose to believe it's an elaborate cover up. That's fine with me. But at least admit you have no evidence to do so. At least admit it's because you hate Hilary and want to believe the worst of her at every turn.

they/them/theirs

Ha? I don't mod this forum
    Aah, my mistake.... you guys are all so similar to each other!
    Why would they announce she had pneumonia
    Because it explains why she can't speak for more than a minute without hacking up a lung.
    Just being open about being sick would not have been the end of the world.
    The alternative is to inflame rhetoric against her.
    But you can chose to believe it's an elaborate cover up
    No, I think it was a very simple cover up.

Say she's fine.... send the media attack dogs against anyone who says otherwise (thank you CNN) .... wait it out till she get's better..... simple!
    you hate Hilary and want to believe the worst of her at every turn.
    eh.....
    My girl? Hilarious
    Seems so!
    Your passion & emotive text betrays you Brian.

Remember, most people just don't give a f*ck about this as much as you do & the hundreds of posts you've expended here in her defence ;)
    It's sweet. I hope she appreciates it!

Have they found a way yet to blame her dismissal of half of Trump's supporters as a "basket of deplorables" of racist, homophobic people, as a result of her battle with pneumonia? Or are they still working on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,310 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:

Stop the personal sniping please.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Aah, my mistake.... you guys are all so similar to each other!

Mod note:

Seriously?

Is this the correct timeline?

Diagnosed with pneumonia on Friday.
    Attends media event which she stats she's fine on Saturday,
    Attends 9/11 even on the Sunday.
    Passes out, spokesperson says it was due to overheating
    Campaign clarifies later that she is suffering from pneumonia.

Most people won't buy that. Her issue of trust has now again been thrust front and centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

FA Hayek wrote: »
    Most people won't buy that.
    Why not?

I don't see any inconsistency?

Is this the correct timeline?

Diagnosed with pneumonia on Friday.
    Attends media event which she stats she's fine on Saturday,
    Attends 9/11 even on the Sunday.
    Passes out, spokesperson says it was due to overheating
    Campaign clarifies later that she is suffering from pneumonia.

Most people won't buy that. Her issue of trust has now again been thrust front and centre.

She had the bout of coughing before that so got a check up? That was an important event [widely publicised] that you omitted.

Seems plausible to me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

seamus wrote: »
    Why not?

I don't see any inconsistency?

Being diagnosed with pneumonia on the Friday but stating later that she was OK?
    Then mixed messages from the campaign team?

We are not talking about the Dami Lama here. This is Hillary, a well known liar which big issues about her trust and credibility.

Being diagnosed with pneumonia on the Friday but stating later that she was OK?
    Then mixed messages from the campaign team?

We are not talking about the Dami Lama here. This is Hillary, a well known liar which big issues about her trust and credibility.
    Be that as it may, it seems pretty standard political fare. Fight through temporary illness, smile and put on a show, don't display any weakness.

I'm not sure what you think is the implausible or strange bit? Would you have expected her to tell the media on Saturday that she's in bits with pneumonia? Or cancel all of her appointments this weekend?

I can guarantee in both cases we'd be discussing the speculation today about what this "pneumonia" claim is really covering up - "I bet she has cancer or Alzheimer's or something". "Why would she voluntarily tell us she had pneumonia unless there was something really wrong?"

I'm not sure what the mixed messages from her campaign team were except to "upgrade" from heatstroke to pneumonia? The latter can easily cause the former.

Good that that is cleared up.

Do you think they would have announced it had she completed the event without any issues?

No. Then the discussion of yer health would have started as soon as it was announced. Even pneumonia is too much for some on here to allow to be president.

The illness would never have been announced if they weren't forced to as it would have led to even more rumours of something worse. Imo this would not have blown over had she been open about the diagnosis earlier.

Pneumonia can be more serious in people of Hillary’s age and it might be quite dangerous to those that have existing health issues. Effects, like fatigue, can also last for several months. If it is determined to be life-threatening because of her age, or for health concerns she is advised by doctors to drop out of the race, does Kaine assume the mantle, or does Biden ride in on a white horse to save the day?

There's a better chance of trump dropping dead from hair cancer than Hillary dropping out.

• Advertisement

Amerika wrote: »
    Pneumonia can be more serious in people of Hillary’s age and it might be quite dangerous to those that have existing health issues. Effects, like fatigue, can also last for several months. If it is determined to be life-threatening because of her age, or for health concerns she is advised by doctors to drop out of the race, does Kaine assume the mantle, or does Biden ride in on a white horse to save the day?
    The question came up last month when there were murmurs of Trump quitting the race;
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/if-trump-quit-presidential-race-what-would-happen-2016-8?r=US&IR=T

While GOP and DNC rules probably differ, they probably are about as different as catholics and protestants. So in short, the DNC would convene again for a full vote if possible, or if timescales were tight, a subset of the DNC would vote and appoint a new runner.

The conspiracy theorists don't seem to be able to answer the big question though - if Hilary was really, deathly, incapable of being President because of a known life-limiting illness (I'm thinking pancreatic cancer or MND here), then why would she run at all? If you were months away from popping your clogs, why would spend most of that time running for an office that you won't get to fulfill?

Granted, there could an ego thing - go down in US history as their 1st female president. But that nobody else would reveal it seems a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

This is the main reason that I stay away from US Election threads. Most posters on these topics are partisans who've made up their minds before the candidates have been nominated. As a result, the candidates are viewed through different lenses.

A property in an individual that would be perceived as negative in one candidate gets downplayed or even spun positively. It's the same with actions by candidates. One candidate could be pilloried from the left or right for doing something while those same partisans would have no issue with or might downplay or justify their guy doing it.

I'm mentioning this in general terms because I see it on both sides of the debate. I've seen people who've been beating the "Hillary is a warmonger" drum having no issue with the Bush presidency's foreign exploits. I've also seen the example that you highlighted above - people making a big deal of McCain's age and health 8 years ago now downplaying it because it's their girl.

What I dislike about such comments and posts is that the poster behind them may as well be working for the parties and the information that I can get from their posts is tainted at best. I end up thinking, "Hang on, warmongering was OK with you last time?" or "Wait a minute, wasn't a person's health and age important to you last time?". Then I think, "Feck this. I don't care about your opinion anymore. It's nothing more than a function of the letter beside a candidate's name. I'll learn nothing from reading your posts."

Funnily enough, I have no real issue with ideological posters. They tend to go for the candidate or party that best matches their ideology and they don't hide it to pretend that it's about something else. What I do take issue with are the posters who are disingenuous about the reasons for their stance -pretending that it's about warmongering or health when that was no problem for their guy. It's dishonest.

Just saw a link on a libertarian friends Facebook that Hilary is dead. Apparently appeared for about 3 minutes on ABC news site. I'm unconvinced

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just saw a link on a libertarian friends Facebook that Hilary is dead. Apparently appeared for about 3 minutes on ABC news site. I'm unconvinced

oh ffs. This is getting silly now.

Ludo wrote: »
    oh ffs. This is getting silly now.

I agree. Most people here would be Bernie supporters but they bend over backwards to support Hillary in any case. Even though she comes out with lies time and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

learn_more wrote: »
    I think it's all an act just to deflect attention away from yesterdays gaff. And then to recover so quickly to deflect away the health issue as well. Nice one Hillary.

Actually , lookin at Trumps physical condition I'd say he's overall in a worse health that Hillary. Too many fancy meals over the years which would be hard to turn down when your a billionaire and you practically own chefs.

He's never drank or taken drugs, and the only medication he takes is aspirin. He's in far better shape than Hillary.

He's never drank or taken drugs, and the only medication he takes is aspirin. He's in far better shape than Hillary.

He is overweight with a doctor's note that looks like it was designed to look fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

So finally it was Putin who poisoned her

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/13/trump-and-putin-poisoned-hillary-clinton-warns-top-doctor-6124813/

Why DNC is keeping silence about it and not replacing her with Biden?
    Why she didn't go to hospital and went instead to Chelsea apartments?
    What she is hiding from public and doesn't want to show other doctors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

What does everyone think of the ongoing rumours that she's had parkinsons for past 8 years?

• Advertisement

What does everyone think of the ongoing rumours that she's had parkinsons for past 8 years?

http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinton-has-parkinsons-disease/

So finally it was Putin who poisoned her

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/13/trump-and-putin-poisoned-hillary-clinton-warns-top-doctor-6124813/

Why DNC is keeping silence about it and not replacing her with Biden?
    Why she didn't go to hospital and went instead to Chelsea apartments?
    What she is hiding from public and doesn't want to show other doctors?

Maybe some type of cryogenic machine or something?

Seriously, it doesn't seem that serious and it was inadvisable to keep such a busy schedule over the weekend when she should have been resting.

It seems Democrats are preparing for the worst, while trying to keep a stiff upper lip. Former DNC chairman Don Fowler now says President Barack Obama and the party’s congressional leaders should immediately come up with a process to identify a potential successor candidate for Hillary Clinton if a health emergency forces her out of the race.

And Bill Clinton is out there making matters even worse by contradicting the health claims coming out from Hillary’s campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Trump has never drank or taken drugs? All those years partying with models in NY must have been a challenge without a drink in your hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I believe they are just that ongoing rumors nothing more.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Trump has never drank or taken drugs? All those years partying with models in NY must have been a challenge without a drink in your hand.

Am I to understand you are taking an anti sober position. A new low, a new low.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

You get one guarantee if you go for Trump and that is he won't be involved in any substance abuse as President of the United States. Unless he is saving up all this time for the day he is president and decides to have a bottle to mark the occasion. Wine vintage 2016.:cool:

Hasn't stopped his business ambitions however.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Wine vintage 2016.:cool:

That's not - you know what, you do you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Sounds like the Trump campaign is already moving backwards on producing a credible doctor's report:

https://twitter.com/elizacollins1/status/775727861747580929

• Advertisement
Advertisement