Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Presidential Candidates' Health

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I can promise you one thing. Many Sanders supporters are gritting their teeth and voting for Clinton in order to stop Trump. Their patience will rapidly evaporate if Clinton drops out and the DNC hands the nomination to somebody like Biden whose primary campaign was a tiny shadow of Sanders', or to somebody who didn't run at all. It would be all out civil-war on the left and I can't see any possibility of them winning the election if they piss off the Sanders faction that much. They're already on wafer thin ice after the DNC emails and the Clinton favouritism that was exposed therein.

The question of whether the DNC would rather lose the election than see their corporate cronyism dismantled will ultimately be answered by their actions in replacing Clinton should she withdraw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I can promise you one thing. Many Sanders supporters are gritting their teeth and voting for Clinton in order to stop Trump. Their patience will rapidly evaporate if Clinton drops out and the DNC hands the nomination to somebody like Biden whose primary campaign was a tiny shadow of Sanders', or to somebody who didn't run at all. It would be all out civil-war on the left and I can't see any possibility of them winning the election if they piss off the Sanders faction that much. They're already on wafer thin ice after the DNC emails and the Clinton favouritism that was exposed therein.

The question of whether the DNC would rather lose the election than see their corporate cronyism dismantled will ultimately be answered by their actions in replacing Clinton should she withdraw.

The suggestion is nonsense. No way is Clinton going to pull out of the campaign. Nobody would replace her. It's not like the Democrats have a line up of potential candidates waiting in the Van. "It's your turn." Out they come the moment she decides to withdraw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Am I to understand you are taking an anti sober position. A new low, a new low.:(

Its called a realistic position.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

Some people on this thread would be planning their own funeral if they caught a cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Gintonious wrote: »
    Trump has never drank or taken drugs?

L69ABQn.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sanders isn't a Democratic Senator anymore.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,310 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He never took the D as far as I'm aware, in the Senate

:p

Trump released his medical records today (albeit on that con artists Dr Mehmet Oz show).
    We learned Mr Trump's vital signs are normal. He takes medication to keep high cholesterol in check. He passed all his cancer screenings He (perhaps not surprisingly) has higher than normal testosterone levels. He's a bit overweight and has a penchant for junk food. He says his exercise regimen consists of golf and giving political speeches.

His choice of "exercise" really is something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Gintonious wrote: »
    Trump released his medical records today (albeit on that con artists Dr Mehmet Oz show).

His choice of "exercise" really is something.

No mention of his mental health!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This isn't the place to just dump links. Please add a description in future.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

So many posters here had mentioned concern over the possibility of Reagan having the early stages of Alzheimer's while POTUS. Why not the same grave concern over Hillary. Her inability to remember so much during her testimony with the FBI seems to be even more alarming, right?

Amerika wrote: »
    So many posters here had mentioned concern over the possibility of Reagan having the early stages of Alzheimer's while POTUS. Why not the same grave concern over Hillary. Her inability to remember so much during her testimony with the FBI seems to be even more alarming, right?

You're right, I'm especially worried about the memory loss experienced by Donald Trump:
    LAWYER: You’ve stated, though, that you have one of the best memories in the world?

TRUMP: I don’t know. Did I use that expression?

LAWYER: Yes.

TRUMP: Where? Could I see it?

LAWYER: I can play a video of you reporting it.

TRUMP: Did I say I have a great memory or one of the best in the world?

LAWYER: “One of the best in the world” is what the reporter quoted you as saying.

TRUMP: I don’t remember saying that. As good as my memory is, I don’t remember that, but I have a good memory.
    Under oath and all.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/yes-donald-trump-said-all-those-sexist-things-he-doesnt-remember-saying/

http://www.abc15.com/news/national/donald-trump-forgets-that-joe-paterno-died-asks-how-hes-doing-at-rally

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/02/08/donald-trump-denies-saying-what-he-said-about-john-mccain/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/jul/06/17-things-donald-trump-said-and-then-denied-saying/

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-denies-legal-fees-protester-sucker-punch

http://boingboing.net/2015/09/23/donald-trump-confirms-then-de.html

"I have the world's greatest memory," he told NBC. "It's one thing everyone agrees on."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Isn't Reagan the greatest US president ever, according to you? If you truly believe Hillary is suffering for dementia, you should be voting for her.

You don't believe it though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

What are you getting on about Brian? And I've always contended George Washington was our greatest president. I'm beginning to worry about your memory. And it's not about me. It's about what people on your side have said. Just pointing out the apparent hypocrisy if ya'll have different standards for the evil one and the anointed one.

What are you getting on about Brian? And I've always contended George Washington was our greatest president. I'm beginning to worry about your memory. And it's not about me. It's about what people on your side have said. Just pointing out the apparent hypocrisy if ya'll have different standards for the evil one and the anointed one.
    If I took my partisan hat off, I would only pick 2 from that list. Reagan, for restoring what many American believed in, and making us strong again in more ways than one. And Clinton, for having the foresight and ability to get things done with the political opposition, and reducing the deficit (even if some of it was a slight of hand). After leaving office I would rate Bush Sr and Carter (for the most part) as remarkable post-presidents.

And since WWII, I would rate Eisenhower and Nixon also as "remarkable people."

I would go and look for more references but I'm not in front of a computer and this style of mic dropping is tedious on an iPhone

Overheal wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Amerika View Post
    If I took my partisan hat off, I would only pick 2 from that list. Reagan, for restoring what many American believed in, and making us strong again in more ways than one. And Clinton, for having the foresight and ability to get things done with the political opposition, and reducing the deficit (even if some of it was a slight of hand). After leaving office I would rate Bush Sr and Carter (for the most part) as remarkable post-presidents.

And since WWII, I would rate Eisenhower and Nixon also as "remarkable people."
    I would go and look for more references but I'm not in front of a computer and this style of mic dropping is tedious on an iPhone

Embrace deceit and make it your own?

That certainly looks like something I would say... But apparently in response to a list of recent presidents. Not, as you insinuate, as proof that I consider Ronald Reagan the best president ever.

Perhaps not a mortal sin on your part, but still worthy of three Our Father’s and two Hail Mary’s as your act of contrition.

Unless of course you can provide the actual link to that quote showing that the context of my comments here is not as I note.

Embrace deceit and make it your own?

That certainly looks like something I would say... But apparently in response to a list of recent presidents. Not, as you insinuate, as proof that I consider Ronald Reagan the best president ever.

Perhaps not a mortal sin on your part, but still worthy of three Our Father’s and two Hail Mary’s as your act of contrition.

Unless of course you can provide the actual link to that quote showing that the context of my comments here is not as I note.

Well it's clearly my mistake. How would you rank Reagan? You already rank him as the best president since the latest 70s. Even when he was doddering with Alzheimer's in his 2nd term. Am I correct?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Well it's clearly my mistake. How would you rank Reagan? You already rank him as the best president since the latest 70s. Even when he was doddering with Alzheimer's in his 2nd term. Am I correct?

I don't believe you are correct, as I haven't seen good evidence that he was 'doddering with Alzheimer's in his 2nd term.'

But I would put Reagan at #4/#5. #2 Abraham Lincoln, #3 Thomas Jefferson, and about on par with Dwight D Eisenhower.

• Advertisement

I don't believe you are correct, as I haven't seen good evidence that he was 'doddering with Alzheimer's in his 2nd term.'

But I would put Reagan at #4/#5. #2 Abraham Lincoln, #3 Thomas Jefferson, and about on par with Dwight D Eisenhower.

So you have Reagan in the top 5. Whether he was doddering or not is subjective. What is fact is that he had Alzheimer's during his 2nd term.

Don't you see the double standard being applied to Clinton yet? You want to disqualify Clinton on the suspicion she may have an illness, yet one of your greatest presidents ever definitely had a severe illness that imparted his mental faculties.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    So you have Reagan in the top 5.
    Yes, and believe it or not, I also put Bill Clinton at about #10.
    Whether he was doddering or not is subjective. What is fact is that he had Alzheimer's during his 2nd term.
    Prove it!
    Don't you see the double standard being applied to Clinton yet? You want to disqualify Clinton on the suspicion she may have an illness, yet one of your greatest presidents ever definitely had a severe illness that imparted his mental faculties.
    Where did I say that? And which president had a severe illness... FDR, JFK, Wilson?

So in living memory, your greatest president was Reagan. Second to him being Clinton, meaning you must surely have had a low opinion of Bush Bush Sr Obama and Carter, Nixon and Ford.

So in living memory, your greatest president was Reagan. Second to him being Clinton, meaning you must surely have had a low opinion of Bush Bush Sr Obama and Carter, Nixon and Ford.

What leads you to say I had a 'low opinion' of Bush 41, Bush 43, Nixon and Ford? :confused:

(BTW, I rather liked Nixon. I'd put him ahead of Clinton)

What leads you to say I had a 'low opinion' of Bush 41, Bush 43, Nixon and Ford? :confused:

(BTW, I rather liked Nixon. I'd put him ahead of Clinton)

From your above quote I found, you put him right behibd Reagan in living memory and were even kind enough to explain your reasoning.

I just assumed since you also put him at #10 in your overall, that bush, bush Sr, Nixon ford and carter all place lower than the top 10. Only makes logic.

From your above quote I found, you put him right behibd Reagan in living memory and were even kind enough to explain your reasoning.

I just assumed since you also put him at #10 in your overall, that bush, bush Sr, Nixon ford and carter all place lower than the top 10. Only makes logic.

There have been 44 presidents to date. Just because a couple of them may come after #10, doesn’t mean I consider them to be scourges of the seven seas (it’s talk like a pirate day, ya know). Methinks ye assumes too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Situation is getting real bad. Hillary is extremely unpopular with the electorate and Trump an outsider is making substantial yards out of the disastrous policies of the Washington elite. This is a guy who defeated 16 GOP candidates & even the Independents don't much like what Clinton's policies entail. Will she or won't she go to war. Looks increasingly likely she will.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Yes, and believe it or not, I also put Bill Clinton at about #10.

Prove it!

Where did I say that? And which president had a severe illness... FDR, JFK, Wilson?

FDR had polio could not walk the cameras decided not to show him been helped to podiums only when he was standing unaided.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Situation is getting real bad. Hillary is extremely unpopular with the electorate

How do you figure that? She only briefly during the conventions fell below trump in the polling throughout this entire election cycle. The rest of the time she has been above him, often very comfortably.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Her and Sanders both, though at times his gain was more substantial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

How do you figure that? She only briefly during the conventions fell below trump in the polling throughout this entire election cycle. The rest of the time she has been above him, often very comfortably.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Her and Sanders both, though at times his gain was more substantial.

Clinton is unpopular, luckily, so is Trump.

Trump has been written off at every stage of the election so far. He's running the worst campaign in living memory, but he's inexplicably leading in many polls. I think whoever cursed Mayo on Sunday has also Ordained Trump to be the next US president

Advertisement