Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai i20 rear speakers

• 11-09-2016 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭

Just found out my new Hyundai i20 which comes with various bells and whistles does not have rear speakers. Couldn't believe they would skimp like this on what's called a Deluxe model. It's been so long since I had a car without them as standard that it never occurred to me to check.

Anyone got experience/advice on fitting them? I presume the wiring is there? How difficult is it to get access inside the door panels?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sadly it's not unheard of. Not certain that there would be wiring there. Ate there speaker grilles in the rear doors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sadly it's not unheard of. Not certain that there would be wiring there. Ate there speaker grilles in the rear doors?

Yes, grilles are there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Strange spec for a car nowadays. Are you sure the speakers are not present? Could it just be that the balance on the radio is set to the forward speakers only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

If you do get in there OP and the wiring is in Halfords have a set of three way speakers 9" x 7" that were getting ok reviews for €32.

(As an aside reminds me of a brand new Saab 900 loaner I was using in 1996, had to go back for a windscreen seal and I told them the rear speakers weren't working either.... turns out there were none on the base model.... couldn't believe it... all the Ford and Vauxhall rep mobile and lower had 4 speaker setups)

Strange spec for a car nowadays. Are you sure the speakers are not present? Could it just be that the balance on the radio is set to the forward speakers only?

No, settingthe fader for a rear seat passenger was how I discovered it!

• Advertisement

If you do get in there OP and the wiring is in Halfords have a set of three way speakers 9" x 7" that were getting ok reviews for €32.

(As an aside reminds me of a brand new Saab 900 loaner I was using in 1996, had to go back for a windscreen seal and I told them the rear speakers weren't working either.... turns out there were none on the base model.... couldn't believe it... all the Ford and Vauxhall rep mobile and lower had 4 speaker setups)
    Same story on some 9-3 models. Honda HR-V, Toyota Aygo. On the Aygo you could buy speakers as an accessory but you had to cut a hole in the rear panels for them. Very DIY.

OP, removing the door should be straightforward enough, you just have to summon the bravery to go taking a new car apart ;)

I'd imagine the entire interior door trim will have to come off. Usually it's a few screws around the door pull, undo the handle, then a load of clips holding the trim on, probably hooked in at the top so pull from the bottom working your way up, making sure not to forget any plugs for the window switch.

A plastic trim removal tool will be invaluable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Doesn't the i20 have 4 speakers in the front though?

2x in the dash and 2x in the front doors?

Doesn't the i20 have 4 speakers in the front though?

2x in the dash and 2x in the front doors?

Indeed it does, but not much use to rear passengers...

Tweeters in the dash, basic classic model doesn't get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

MenloPete wrote: »
    Indeed it does, but not much use to rear passengers...

They should be happy just to be getting a lift.

• Advertisement
Advertisement