Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter/Part Worn Tyres

• 11-09-2016 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭

Went into tyreland and ended up with two Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 part worn b+ grade on the front and my two old tyres still on the back

I am after sending off a complaint to tyreland over the whole experience(the customer care side with a question over the tyres) and am wondering should I look into getting two normal tyres or is my current set up ok?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

So you have 2 winter tyres and 2 summer tyres now? If so that's a definite no no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

So you have 2 winter tyres and 2 summer tyres now? If so that's a definite no no

Well i say ordinary, suppose you could say summer.

So I should push with tyreland to get two summer to replace the winter ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You should never have different types of tyres on the same car. Winter tyres are a softer compound and will result in different braking and grip than normal/summer tyres. In short, it's dangerous, get it sorted asap.

You should never have different types of tyres on the same car. Winter tyres are a softer compound and will result in different braking and grip than normal/summer tyres. In short, it's dangerous, get it sorted asap.

Ill push them if/when they contact tomorrow, if not ill be in touch myself

Frightening to think I pushed and asked a load of questions and still ended up with this,hate to see people who go in and take any Tyre etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

In Irish climate, in vast majority of cases winter tyres will provide worse grip than summer tyres, so OP's setup of winter tyres in the front, and summer tyres in the back, looks safe enough.
    It might get tricky though when snow comes and OP will be driving like that. Skid control will be a must then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

CiniO wrote: »
    In Irish climate, in vast majority of cases winter tyres will provide worse grip than summer tyres, so OP's setup of winter tyres in the front, and summer tyres in the back, looks safe enough.
    It might get tricky though when snow comes and OP will be driving like that. Skid control will be a must then.

I haven't a clue what yiz,are on about lads.
    I have 4 tyres on, new but the cheapest I could get.
    Is there a difference in the price?
    We aren't in Alaska here and we get fcuk all extreme weather and it doesn't matter what you have, in frost or snow if you don't slow down your destined for accident.
    I live in a laneway with a couple of steep hills, my cheapos have always got me in and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

They might get you in and out of your driveway, but that means f-all when your car is sliding and the last thing between you and a lamppost is your rubbish tyres.

I'll take my A wet braking rated tyres every day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We've often ran cars over the winter with winters on the front and all seasons on the back.
    I think for regular driving its nonissue. I know there is a video on YouTube showing how bad this is, I looked it up and it consists of a guy driving at excessive speeds on a track into tight corners and surprise surprise the back slips out - but he's driving like a knob head on a snow covered icy track.

Big thing for us is the winters on the front give extra traction in snow to bring you up a hill where all seasons don't. I don't think regular people put on winter tyres and expect to drive at speeds they would during the summer while on an icy road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

_Brian wrote: »
    We've often ran cars over the winter with winters on the front and all seasons on the back.
    I think for regular driving its nonissue. I know there is a video on YouTube showing how bad this is, I looked it up and it consists of a guy driving at excessive speeds on a track into tight corners and surprise surprise the back slips out - but he's driving like a knob head on a snow covered icy track.

The thing is, any setup which will provide better grip on front wheels than rear wheels, makes it extremelly easy to rear skid (rear of the car to break away). Just a sharper turn even at lower speed, where front will grip to turn the car, but rear will escape.

Anyway - as I said in Irish climate winter tyres on the front axle, won't provide any superior grip, except from very rare of occurance of snow on the road, so generally there's nothing to worry about.

Big thing for us is the winters on the front give extra traction in snow to bring you up a hill where all seasons don't.
    All seasons also provide extra traction on snow compared to summer tyres.
    I don't think regular people put on winter tyres and expect to drive at speeds they would during the summer while on an icy road.
    On icy road - no.
    But on snow usually you can drive at normal speeds just keeping bit more margin for braking so looking bit more further ahead.

Contacted tyreland on website, then rang this morning.

Got back to me, there is 4 summer tyres held for you.

Say it when I got to finglas branch, puts them on. Double check, oh I put winter on back and part worn summer on front.

At this stage do I give up and live with two summer and two winter. Or push to have all summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

jeffk wrote: »
    Contacted tyreland on website, then rang this morning.

Got back to me, there is 4 summer tyres held for you.

Say it when I got to finglas branch, puts them on. Double check, oh I put winter on back and part worn summer on front.

At this stage do I give up and live with two summer and two winter. Or push to have all summer?

You shouldn't have to push for anything. Winter tyres should not be mixed with summer tyres. Its black and white and really that simple.

VeVeX wrote: »
    You shouldn't have to push for anything. Winter tyres should not be mixed with summer tyres. Its black and white and really that simple.

Ive been onto tyreland(they even mentioned this thread over the phone to me) and tried, they haven't got 4 summer tyres for my car.

So ive no choice now, anything has to better than the 4 Chinese jobs I had on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Not trying to be smart but what else do you expect buying second hand tyres. If you want a matching set, in most cases you will have to get new tyres.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart but what else do you expect buying second hand tyres. If you want a matching set, in most cases you will have to get new tyres.

Id be happy with say two brand a on the front and two brand b on the back in summer/all year, I don't expect 4 brand a all round

I didnt want two winter and summer and then three or four different brands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 part worn b+ grade

I'm curious how they manage to grade tyres in a like for like, scientific fashion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,520 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'm curious how they manage to grade tyres in a like for like, scientific fashion?

I think their 'grade' refers to remaining tread depth.

Not your ornery onager

ironclaw wrote: »

part worn b+ grade

The A or B refers to the depth of tread, A is 75% remaining, B is 50% tread.
    The + signifies it's a Bridgestone, Goodyear or Pirelli etc type tyre as opposed to a budget brand.

B grade will have typically 4mm tread depth, legal limit is 1.6mm across the main 75% of the tyre so with a B grade you are getting just over 2mm of tread before changing being on the legal limit. A new tyre would have 8mm ish so a B grade is 2/3s used.

Can't see the appeal really.

Tyreland apparently x ray all of their part worns and 30% are found to be fit for the bin. They have a 70% yield, that 30% binned, someone is paying for them to be tested and disposed of. No prizes for guessing who the someones are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

I dont see the appeal to part worns at all :confused:

brembo26 wrote: »
    I dont see the appeal to part worns at all :confused:

Nor I.

Budget, lads, budget.
    In my case the cheapest news I could find, only 15 each dearer than part worn that I originally asked for quotes for.
    Car had to be tested and a few other jobs done as well so the budget left for tyres was low!

• Advertisement

Just had the lads from Tyreland out in the mobile van to fix up the tyres.

I now have
    Hankook Optimo 4S on the back
    And
    Maxxis MA 701 on the front

Fair play to them, the kept at it and made sure I got what I wanted in the end and everyone went away happy

I’m waiting on someone to now say you shouldn’t mix all season and summer ;):pac::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Fair play to them......

For what, providing dangerous tires not one but TWICE.
    They probably only acted because they seen this thread, it wasn't out of concern for your cars performance in all weather.

Senna wrote: »
    For what, providing dangerous tires not one but TWICE.
    They probably only acted because they seen this thread, it wasn't out of concern for your cars performance in all weather.

Let me guess I should have paid almost €350 on tyres for a 2002 car and if I change it ill be lucky to get a few hundred and they'll have nice wheels as a bonus

Id like to think they did because they wanted to look after the customer and not have them saying don't go to tyreland. Also could be worse and have been left with me the original winter tyres and ignored me.

Let me guess I should have paid almost €350 on tyres for a 2002 car and if I change it ill be lucky to get a few hundred and they'll have nice wheels as a bonus

Id like to think they did because they wanted to look after the customer and not have them saying don't go to tyreland. Also could be worse and have been left with me the original winter tyres and ignored me.

If you're happy jeffk, that's all that matters!
    Funny how asking for a bit of advice gets you skinned sometimes.
    Well may they wear!

As I said in original thread about advice, I had cheap 65e ones that lasted three years.

They didn't kill me, so from them anything is an upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

How is price the issue? They put winter tyres on with summer tyres, that's the issue, I'm guessing winters aren't cheaper than normal tyres.

No point going on the defensive, crap service is crap service, it doesn't mater what you're buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

God knows how many of tyreland's customers have winters mixed with summers and have no idea. Not everyone would check (or even know the difference). A good tyre company should leave you happy and safe without having to check their work and get it corrected.

All season not winter now, from various threads it seems most cars have all season tyres.Also I'm sure mixed tyres are bad, but can't be worse than cheap chinese no name tyres.

Secondhand anything means no guarantee of stock. Plus 130 for four tyres is less than half price.

The issues came from Navan basically not wanting to turn down a sale. Then the sales manager done his best to rectify this. Cant lash a whole company over one franchisee.

Advertisement