Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help on which sports-bike Tyre to get ?

• 11-09-2016 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Currently running these (maxxis diamond) on my zx6r .

maxxis-ma-3d-diamond-70-90-17-tubeless-motorcycle-tyre-superbikemotor-1504-17-superbikemotor@29.jpg

have been told by a few they're horrible in the wet , which iv seen first hand myself with the rear kicking out due to harsh acceleration or heavy back braking .

Looking to get a new set for the wet and dry for peace of mind , anyone on here with experience recommend a good tyre :)

ta

pudz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

pudzey101 wrote: »
    have been told by a few they're horrible in the wet , which iv seen first hand myself with the rear kicking out due to harsh acceleration or heavy back braking .

Why are you doing either?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Why are you doing either?.

good answer :D we are all guilty of harsh acceleration , the heavy rear braking is just a heavy left foot :o .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Currently running these (maxxis diamond) on my zx6r .

maxxis-ma-3d-diamond-70-90-17-tubeless-motorcycle-tyre-superbikemotor-1504-17-superbikemotor@29.jpg

Looking to get a new set for the wet and dry for peace of mind , anyone on here with experience recommend a good tyre :)

ta

pudz.

Recently got Metzeler RR M7 tyres on the R1.
    Same tyre as the Pirelli Corsa's that were on the bike.Both are a great tyre for dry and wet.:)

20160716_120412_zpsutvuxzd0.jpg

20160716_120426_zpssd95jm3w.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Esel

good answer :D we are all guilty of harsh acceleration , the heavy rear braking is just a heavy left foot :o .

60s/70s British bike then? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Dunlop road smart 3 are getting very good reviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Back brake..:confused:...i have classics and modern i dont use the rear brake except for stopping me rolling backwards at lights.....Everybody rides differently mate...i'm sure everyone here will recommend possibly every type of tyre available, what suits one may not suit another..its your choice and budget...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

PR4's for me fabulous tyre especially in wet.

meant heavy right foot lol

cheers for the help everyone , looks like Metzler M7rr or Road Pilot 4's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A PR4.. Although I've never rode one the PR3 have me exceptional wear and grip on my last bike (a BMW R1100S).. I only appreciated how grippy they were when I switched to Bridgestone T30's ~ the difference was night and day.

Go a little lighter on that back brake too, esp coming into our winter, slippery roads.

Like someone else said here, I only use mine to stop the bike rolling backwards (or bringing down a wheelie). In all the bikes I've owned I've never even replaced a rear brake pad!.

A PR4.. Although I've never rode one the PR3 have me exceptional wear and grip on my last bike (a BMW R1100S).. I only appreciated how grippy they were when I switched to Bridgestone T30's ~ the difference was night and day.

Go a little lighter on that back brake too, esp coming into our winter, slippery roads.

Like someone else said here, I only use mine to stop the bike rolling backwards (or bringing down a wheelie). In all the bikes I've owned I've never even replaced a rear brake pad!.

Thanks makikomi , just finished the IBT so was trying the recommended front/rear at 50:50 ratio in the wet , defo a no go :D

Starting to only use the rear now at very low speeds or stopped at lights :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I only use my bike for weekend spins now and dont commute on it at all.
    I decided not to both going for a sport touring tyre like the angel gt or pr4. Going to just go for something super sticky instead.

Gonna do some reading up on the options now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

And if you get caught in the rain G, Ireland is very unpredictable at the best of times. Just my 2 cents I deffo would not be sticking on super sticky tyres coming into the WINTER. You will have zero traction if any way wet.

Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I didnt say im getting a dry day tyre. I just simply am not specifically looking at a sport touring tyre. Still going to look at whats good grip in wet and dry but high mileage wont be a factor in the decision. Sure im only using my bike probably twice a month for some fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

If you are dancing on the rear brake in the wet and hacking the throttle nothing is going to be much use. Being smoother would be the first bit of advice. Anything that's not a trackday/race tyre will be fine in winter.

batman_oh wrote: »
    If you are dancing on the rear brake in the wet and hacking the throttle nothing is going to be much use. Being smoother would be the first bit of advice. Anything that's not a trackday/race tyre will be fine in winter.

yeah i know this now :D new rear pads ( old ones metal to metal ) and new chain and sprokets = throttle hacking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

serious3 wrote: »
    Dunlop road smart 3 are getting very good reviews
    Can +1 that, have a sport smart front (which made a huge difference to handling over stock Bridgestones but that's a different story) and a road smart rear. Been very very happy with both.

With regards breaking I use both. Rear followed by front, was way I was taught to maximise stability. We were forced to try each way during (Swiss) ibt and the difference was quite noticeable in how bike responded, for me anyway.

Edit: was told the life of the sport smart is around 5k km which seems a tad low.

Advertisement