Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPVC door security

Options
  • 12-09-2016 4:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭

Just had an attempted break in, well wasn't attempted as they actually got in the door.
    I have a uPVC door with the 5 lock thingy

How secure are they when deadbolted?

These burglars got the door opened in about 5 seconds but it was only locked whereby you push the handle up.

Also what are the chances they or someone else will try again, the ones tonight were arrested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The lock barrell is the device which governs all these locking catches on the door. I have not seen many PVC doors with anti snap barrells.
    That is the device that you should start with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

This is what you need:

An ABS Avocet Mk3 Antisnap cyclinder

http://www.barnsleylock.co.uk/avocet-abs-mk3-anti-snap-locks-13-c.asp

Used the above crowd several times - order to parcel motel as not sure if they deliver to ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thanks for that, have been doing some reading up on this and cant believe how easy this lock bumping thing is

Do you know anywhere in Dublin I can get one like tomorrow, tried a few places today but the best I could find where just anti-snap ones and most people seemed oblivious to what I was asking for.

Got me really worried now that they're gonna try again - thought they had arrested someone but turns out the people I pointed out managed to evade capture (whole story there)

Something like this on Adverts
    http://www.adverts.ie/locks-latches/anti-snap-euro-cylinder-locks/1579163

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

This is what you need:

Used the above crowd several times - order to parcel motel as not sure if they deliver to ROI
    I fully agree anti snap anti bump are the only way to go. I'm constant fitting anti snap anti bump euro cylinders for customers, I know all Pvc doors have sub standard barrels but it's very worrying that I'm now getting calls to upgrade composite doors too and that door manufactures are still fitting cheap locks to €2000 doors. I don't recommend abs but tbh as I have seen a lot of people having trouble with them

Was looking at those Palladium doors, but don't have 2 grand spare

Had people try to gain entry before but they were trying something on the bottom panels, didn't work.

Old lady down the street was broken into a few days ago so the 'gang' are casing the area for sure.

This key thing was a total shock to the system and I don't know why its not advertised more by the Garda or someone

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Was looking at those Palladium doors, but don't have 2 grand spare

Had people try to gain entry before but they were trying something on the bottom panels, didn't work.

Old lady down the street was broken into a few days ago so the 'gang' are casing the area for sure.

This key thing was a total shock to the system and I don't know why its not advertised more by the Garda or someone
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88m_Hk5ipI8

Thanks for that, have been doing some reading up on this and cant believe how easy this lock bumping thing is

Do you know anywhere in Dublin I can get one like tomorrow, tried a few places today but the best I could find where just anti-snap ones and most people seemed oblivious to what I was asking for.

Got me really worried now that they're gonna try again - thought they had arrested someone but turns out the people I pointed out managed to evade capture (whole story there)

Something like this on Adverts
    http://www.adverts.ie/locks-latches/anti-snap-euro-cylinder-locks/1579163

That lock is a TS1 star you'd need a cyclinder guard or the like with it - not worth a sh1te IMO
    massy086 wrote: »
    I fully agree anti snap anti bump are the only way to go. I'm constant fitting anti snap anti bump euro cylinders for customers, I know all Pvc doors have sub standard barrels but it's very worrying that I'm now getting calls to upgrade composite doors too and that door manufactures are still fitting cheap locks to €2000 doors. I don't recommend abs but tbh as I have seen a lot of people having trouble with them

The ABS has had some issues I think they've been ironed out on the MK3s - I've been running one for the past 2 years

Only other alternative I can think of is an ERA Vectis which eliminates the cylinder altogether

http://www.lockmaster.co.uk/era-vectis-plus-replacement-lock-box-5679-p.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Don't get obsessed with the security of the door alone. Although it is very impotent to have a good secure door, also remember that your front window is an access point too.

I've worked in houses where the customer would have a door a tank wouldn't get through but the window a couple of feet away would be an old aluminium type window that could be opened in a few seconds.

Don't get obsessed with the security of the door alone. Although it is very impotent to have a good secure door, also remember that your front window is an access point too.

I've worked in houses where the customer would have a door a tank wouldn't get through but the window a couple of feet away would be an old aluminium type window that could be opened in a few seconds.

I would - there is multiple ways to gain access, its just a matter of detering or slowing down the perp.

it stipulates in my insurance policy I must have security locks - read into that how you will
    MINIMUM SECURITY REQUIREMENTS

It is a condition precedent of liability under the Policy that:

The Premises are fitted with the following security devices:

All external doors are fitted with mortice deadlocks or deadlocking rim latches

All French doors and/or patio doors are fitted with appropriate security locks

tbh a good anti snap anti bump lock and then sach Jammers for the Windows imho will slow the thief down or cause them to make enough noise as to alert a neighbor.i get calls day in day out after the break in to upgrade locks and fit extra Windows locks.and it the same old story my alarm went off but they just went straight for jewelery and iPads and they were in and out in minutes .

• Advertisement

Do sash jammers make any difference if the window is locked?

Got a new lock today from the local keysmith, with the anti everything...

Got CCTV arriving this week as well which may help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

I was considering going back to a wooden door with a proper deadbolt system because of the likes of this. It seems strange that insurance companies offer a discount for what is essentially a plastic door with a thin strip of metal and a shoddy lock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Just had an attempted break in, well wasn't attempted as they actually got in the door.
    I have a uPVC door with the 5 lock thingy

How secure are they when deadbolted?

These burglars got the door opened in about 5 seconds but it was only locked whereby you push the handle up.

Also what are the chances they or someone else will try again, the ones tonight were arrested.

I just had the exact same instance on Monday night. I generally lock the door with the key and you guessed it on the one night I didn't they tried the door.

Now what's really really annoying me is that I discovered that when I push the handle up, the bolts engage, BUT if you're outside and try the handle they dis-engage!!! unless locked with the key, then it doesn't move.

I reckon the thief was just an opportunistic one trying doors and when he tried our door he heard the deadbolts dis-engage and just used his body weight to pop it open, no tool marks anywhere on the door. Luckily I had a big set of keys in the back of the door and the noise of these along with the pop of the door woke me and the wife.

OP check the lock area on the wall where the handle latch slots into, on ours I could see it slightly bent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

^ you need to get a split spindle and a pad for the outdoor side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

OU812 wrote: »
    ^ you need to get a split spindle and a pad for the outdoor side.

Cheers, I knew there had to be something wrong with the setup, I'll try and get those parts.

I generally have the door locked with the keys now anyway as the kids can reach and open the door but I'd like to have to sorted anyway.

pippip wrote: »
    Cheers, I knew there had to be something wrong with the setup, I'll try and get those parts.

I generally have the door locked with the keys now anyway as the kids can reach and open the door but I'd like to have to sorted anyway.
    You will probably need to change the whole Espag mechanism as it will be made for lever lever and not lever pad as in the way you want it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

This is what you need:

Thanks for this - 2 Avocet Mk3 Keyed alike with 4 additional spare keys - €132 (inc. Parcel Motel).

Irish distributor - €195

Advertisement