Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google 'Pixel' Phones (and other Google event stuff)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Will the pixel launcher and icons and everything be coming to the 6p also?

Will there be any pixel exclusive stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Ush1 wrote: »
    Will the pixel launcher and icons and everything be coming to the 6p also?

Will there be any pixel exclusive stuff?

The Pixel launcher apk is out now for all phones. Tried it but lack of swipe left for Google Now and not being able to replace the clock killed my interesting in it. The swipe up for app drawer was cool tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Basil3 wrote: »
    You need to have symmetry to the phone. It's gonna have 71%-73% screen-to-body ratio, like virtually every other device out there. Non-issue, imo.

Except it's not really, cause Samsung have already debunked that with the S7 and Note 7.

Why does it need to have symmetry with every other phone? That makes no sense, surely the point of these newest and greatest phones is to show some innovation and do what hasn't been done yet? This phone was a perfect opportunity for google to do that and it just looks like an updated 6P/HTC 10 hybrid that's going to cost a bomb.

Cina wrote: »
    Except it's not really, cause Samsung have already debunked that with the S7 and Note 7.

Why does it need to have symmetry with every other phone? That makes no sense, surely the point of these newest and greatest phones is to show some innovation and do what hasn't been done yet? This phone was a perfect opportunity for google to do that and it just looks like an updated 6P/HTC 10 hybrid that's going to cost a bomb.

Sure, the Note 7 is higher, but the standard S7 isn't. This is only due to the curved screen, which I'd rather be without.

I don't know what you mean by symmetry with other phones. I mean that you have to have space above the screen for the earpiece, front facing camera, proximity sensor etc. A phone would look completely unbalanced if it didn't have a similar space below the screen.

Sure, the Note 7 is higher, but the standard S7 isn't. This is only due to the curved screen, which I'd rather be without.

I don't know what you mean by symmetry with other phones. I mean that you have to have space above the screen for the earpiece, front facing camera, proximity sensor etc. A phone would look completely unbalanced if it didn't have a similar space below the screen.

Um.. you used the word symmetry!

From looking at the phones there's a lot of unused bezel even taking the front camera etc. into account. They don't have any front button, they don't even have two front speakers like the 5X/6P did, and yet they've just as much bezel as phones with those features.

I'd expect phones with less on the front of them to have better ratio with their screens otherwise what's the point?

Right now if you showed me a pixel and HTC 10 I'd take the 10, same screen, but at least the 10 has buttons underneath the screen which frees up more screen space.

Um.. you used the word symmetry!

From looking at the phones there's a lot of unused bezel even taking the front camera etc. into account. They don't have any front button, they don't even have two front speakers like the 5X/6P did, and yet they've just as much bezel as phones with those features.

I'd expect phones with less on the front of them to have better ratio with their screens otherwise what's the point?

Right now if you showed me a pixel and HTC 10 I'd take the 10, same screen, but at least the 10 has buttons underneath the screen which frees up more screen space.

Yeah, I used the symmetry in relation to the design of the phone. You were using it in a totally different context, which is what I didn't understand. I don't care about symmetry with other phones, to be honest I still don't know what you meant by it.

In any case, the bezel doesn't bother me, although I agree having fingerprint scanner and hardware buttons on the front as with the 10 is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

The head on it! And chin!

Hopefully Google will surprise us all that all these leaks have been planned and the real devices have far more reasonable bezels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Carphone warehouse has their sales pages for the two phones online this morning but they've disappeared now. Back tomorrow no doubt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What's this obsession with bezels? I really don't get it. It's a phone, not a fashion accessory.

Alun wrote: »
    What's this obsession with bezels? I really don't get it. It's a phone, not a fashion accessory.

it's nothing to do with fashion. Reducing the bezel ratio means either

A) More space for a larger screen on the same sized phone or
    B) A smaller phone

Both of which are very practical

The S7 Edge for example has a 5.5" screen but because the bezel ratio is so good, the handset itself is basically the same size as most 5.2" phones.

it's nothing to do with fashion. Reducing the bezel ratio means either

A) More space for a larger screen on the same sized phone or
    B) A smaller phone

Both of which are very practical

The S7 Edge for example has a 5.5" screen but because the bezel ratio is so good, the handset itself is basically the same size as most 5.2" phones.

....but in order to achieve that, you have a curved screen which is rubbish. You also have the problem of your hand hitting off the curve. I dunno if the positives really outweigh the negatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It's going to cost a bloody fortune isn't it?

Really need to upgrade my trusty battered Nexus 5 but I don't think I'll be affording one of these for a while... :)

....but in order to achieve that, you have a curved screen which is rubbish. You also have the problem of your hand hitting off the curve. I dunno if the positives really outweigh the negatives.

The Edge was just one example. The normal S7 and the Oneplus 3 both have better bezel vs screen than the Pixel's look to have, AND they have buttons on the front, too.

There are no negatives to less bezel, only positives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

^^^

I saw pics of the 4k Chromecast over the weekend, but can't remember for the life of me where :)

When you say handset version of Android Auto, do you mean that I won't need it built into the car?

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

Sweet, don't know why this isn't in my brain, I watched the i/o keynote live :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I paid €250 for my Nexus 5 new. I won't be paying more for my next phone, not when there are so many good chinese phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Discodog wrote: »
    I paid €250 for my Nexus 5 new. I won't be paying more for my next phone, not when there are so many good chinese phones.

Same boat as yourself, love the size and fact there's no bloatware on nexus,
    if this is crazy prices, what would you think of getting chinese style?

Xiaomi Mi5s is a def contender here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Let's say that button/sensor is a mouse scroller, would the only way to be able to use it on a screen is with a chromecast?

Has it's power to function as a chrome book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Let's say that button/sensor is a mouse scroller, would the only way to be able to use it on a screen is with a chromecast?

Has it's power to function as a chrome book?

If true, I'd say it's usable via Miracast dongle or via smart TV also...

I don't see why it couldn't be like a Chromebook if they are going down the route of OS merges...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

youngblood wrote: »
    Same boat as yourself, love the size and fact there's no bloatware on nexus,
    if this is crazy prices, what would you think of getting chinese style?

Xiaomi Mi5s is a def contender here

How are the Chinese phones for OS and security updates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Venom wrote: »
    How are the Chinese phones for OS and security updates?

Security seems fine, updates...they have their own updates as its a custom version of android miui, bit hit and miss from what i hear.....you get them but not as fast as if you have nexus etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

More confirmation of the outrageous prices. I'm still hoping they are all wrong or the search for a new phone continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

These aren't meant to be budget Nexus devices anymore they are changing their tactics to targeting the higher end market hence the name change and the prices. The Pixel tablet was not cheap so it's not really a surprise that the Pixel phones are also not cheap.

I'd imagine they will push for carriers to sell the devices and subsidise the cost, of course that probably means we'll be left out in the cold with Irish carriers.

Also has anyone got a link to where we can watch the event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Kavrocks wrote: »
    More confirmation of the outrageous prices. I'm still hoping they are all wrong or the search for a new phone continues.

I dont see any conformation just a best guess, those could be the price or could be way off lets just wait and see. Im hoping the price wont ruin this phone but sadly it looks like it will

I like the blue colour but leaving the front white ruins it and make it even more iphone looking and cheap ass 5c iphone looking....

Any way 5pm is decades away while i'm in work so ill try not to think to much about it until then. Im keeping my hopes high but I have a feeling ill be buying sony or huawei for my next phone ...

Why do all coloured phones, have to have a white fascia on the screen part??
    That blue on white looks fcuking disgusting :mad:

*vomits everywhere* :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The likes of Google, Apple etc have to move upmarket. Chinese manufactures are starting to get really established. It's something when Jess Kelly on Newstalk describes the Elephone as one of the very best phones that you can buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Why do all coloured phones, have to have a white fascia on the screen part??
    That blue on white looks fcuking disgusting :mad:

*vomits everywhere* :pac:
    As a Laoisman, I think it is beautiful.
    Delighted to see Google taking an interest in the oft forgotten Laois supporter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

I think that Google has built a following for their phones , a following that I don't think will follow them up the high price path .

As a Laoisman, I think it is beautiful.
    Delighted to see Google taking an interest in the oft forgotten Laois supporter.

I have no problem with the colour of your flag my friend ;)

But when the blue of the case comes around to the front and clashes with a white bezel like that, it makes it look like a damn toy.
    Apple got stick for it with the 5c, but at least they had a black bezel against their horrible illuminous colours :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

jonski wrote: »
    I think that Google has built a following for their phones , a following that I don't think will follow them up the high price path .

It depends on what you classify as a following, the Nexus devices did find a minor following and worked as great dev devices but their ability to attract a large market was actually quite limited.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Things I want :

Google Home
    New Nexus 7

Things I'll wind up buying cause shiny :

Daydream headset

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Also has anyone got a link to where we can watch the event?

-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4y0KOeXViI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

If the pixel XL 32GB is upwards of €900 I'd assume one or more of the carriers here will have to get it? Iphones with high prices like that sell fine because you can get them subsidised as part of 2 year plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

horgan_p wrote: »
    Things I want :

Google Home
    New Nexus 7

Things I'll wind up buying cause shiny :

Daydream headset

Google home is what Im looking forward to. Being building up smart tech in the home slowly so would be great to have it all connected. Will be totally parcel motelling the crap out of it. A

As for Nexus/Pixel I only got a 5X 6 months ago so no need to upgrade for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

I'd say this will be out in the uk same time as us given Alexa's release in the uk recently. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

It depends on what you classify as a following, the Nexus devices did find a minor following and worked as great dev devices but their ability to attract a large market was actually quite limited.

That's exactly what I mean , it is a small but fairly loyal following of people that knew what they were buying . Affordable quality without the bloatware , I think they are going to look elsewhere now, and the people that will pay a premium price are already sold on Samsung, Apple, or HTC .

• Advertisement
Advertisement