Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google 'Pixel' Phones (and other Google event stuff)

Comments

I had a HTC M7 that needed to be returned for repairs 3 times. Before that I had a HTC Desire that started shutting itself off at random intervals. Both phones suffered from lag and slowdown after a year. The phones work great out of the box, but just aren't built to last at all. No comparison between HTC and the Nexus range, which was always superb.

I still have my HTC Tytn II somewhere, in decent working order!

I don't know how you can say that Nexus devices are all great, when they're made by a bunch of different manufacturers, including HTC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭droidman123

I have had every model of nexus tablet since first launched with the nexus 10,the only one that wasnt top notch was the nexus 9,made by htc, all the other nexus tablets made by samsung and asus have never had the problems the nexus 9 had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have no interest in updates - I hate google now & don't bother with it. Definitely Chinese next for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Patww79 wrote: »
    About 720 euro will lift one in CPW Newry when they land (Pixel 32GB). If I can get 400 for my S7 Edge then it'll be worth the trade, just need to decide if I'm done with the Samsung.

Will CPW devices work OK in Ireland? Spoke to them today and they said their devices only work in UK, but I'm assuming this is bull**** and they only say this as part of their sales agreement in terms of territory and agreements with suppliers?

Also, I assume the CPW devices locking to first sim card only applies to iPhone and not Android phones? Again, I assume it's bull**** as it says on their website it's iPhone only, but the guy on the phone today said it was all phones. Sales reps are very annoying at times.

Only reason I'm considering CPW is for the £50 gift card.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

C-Shore wrote: »
    Will CPW devices work OK in Ireland? Spoke to them today and they said their devices only work in UK, but I'm assuming this is bull**** and they only say this as part of their sales agreement in terms of territory and agreements with suppliers?

Also, I assume the CPW devices locking to first sim card only applies to iPhone and not Android phones? Again, I assume it's bull**** as it says on their website it's iPhone only, but the guy on the phone today said it was all phones. Sales reps are very annoying at times.

Only reason I'm considering CPW is for the £50 gift card.

I think some Samsung phones lock themselves to the first sim card as well or at least they did. It's not very common though. Also, the UK phones will work here as long as it's unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

AFAIK the Pixel supports all frequency bands for 4G and Calls/texts etc. So the only thing that would prevent a Pixel from CPW working would be sim lock status.

• Advertisement

I think some Samsung phones lock themselves to the first sim card as well or at least they did. It's not very common though. Also, the UK phones will work here as long as it's unlocked.

Yeah I guessed that, either he was clueless, afraid to get in trouble, or just didn't want to help. Thanks for the reassurance though.

Also, I posted earlier about finding a VAT free method for business purchases, and while CPW won't do it using your VAT number, you can just do a VAT refund through ROS if you're registered for VAT in Ireland, through EVR. In case that helps anyone here with the price. Essentially the base model can be purchasedfat what works out at for ~€550 after you get the VAT back.

I'm assuming I can redeem the gift card on my Irish Google account, just currency converted? Anyone ever done this?

Wing126 wrote: »
    AFAIK the Pixel supports all frequency bands for 4G and Calls/texts etc. So the only thing that would prevent a Pixel from CPW working would be sim lock status.

Yeah well the Pixel definitely ships unlocked, and hopefully it doesn't sim lock to the first network I use it with. Not a major deal if it does, but nice to have the flexibility.

The way the guy said it today, it was almost like there was an additional restriction that it would only work with UK Networks. 99% sure that like you said, since it supports all frequencies for Ireland, there's no reason to believe it won't work here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Also, I posted earlier about finding a VAT free method for business purchases, and while CPW won't do it using your VAT number, you can just do a VAT refund through ROS if you're registered for VAT in Ireland, through EVR. In case that helps anyone here with the price. Essentially the base model can be purchasedfat what works out at for ~€550 after you get the VAT back.

Are you sure that's the case? If you buy it in the UK you'll be paying UK VAT. You won't be able to get a refund from revenue for UK VAT. My dad has run into this when buying from the UK for his company. If they don't charge Irish VAT and they don't sell it VAT free then he won't be able to claim it back.

Are you sure that's the case? If you buy it in the UK you'll be paying UK VAT. You won't be able to get a refund from revenue for UK VAT. My dad has run into this when buying from the UK for his company. If they don't charge Irish VAT and they don't sell it VAT free then he won't be able to claim it back.

Seems to be the case based on this: https://www.ros.ie/info/faq/EVRfaq.html

Is your dad a sole trader? I know VAT rulings are different in terms of VAT on purchases versus VAT on sales. I know you said company, but just asking as many sole traders still refer to it as a company.

The only thing I can think of is the threshold whereby if a UK company sell above the threshold amount into Ireland then they are obliged to register for VAT in Ireland. Reading that link would indicate that EVR is specifically for purchases where the VAT is collected in the other state, not under an Irish VAT number — so I doubt that's the issue.

Yeah well the Pixel definitely ships unlocked, and hopefully it doesn't sim lock to the first network I use it with. Not a major deal if it does, but nice to have the flexibility.

The way the guy said it today, it was almost like there was an additional restriction that it would only work with UK Networks. 99% sure that like you said, since it supports all frequencies for Ireland, there's no reason to believe it won't work here.

Well yeah I mean if CPW went and messed with the internals in some way, then it would only work with UK networks, but on the US Google Store, the Pixel is listed as "Works Globally".

Could he buy somehow from the UK google store?

Well yeah I mean if CPW went and messed with the internals in some way, then it would only work with UK networks, but on the US Google Store, the Pixel is listed as "Works Globally"

Hopefully they haven't done anything internally. I'll contact them tomorrow and try to clarify it.

Yeah it's just as easy to buy from the Google Store, but there wouldn't be the £50 Play Store Gift Card.

• Advertisement

Hopefully they haven't done anything internally. I'll contact them tomorrow and try to clarify it.

Yeah it's just as easy to buy from the Google Store, but there wouldn't be the £50 Play Store Gift Card.

Ah, wasn't aware of that!

Ah, wasn't aware of that!

Yeah it somewhat allays the price increase!

Just have to hope it works on an Irish account. Even if it doesn't, it can possibly be sold, and if not, still no extra cost than on the Google Store.

Plus CPW seem to be stating delivery on the 20th as opposed to a few days/weeks after.

I don't think it will work on the Irish account, but no harm in trying i'd say!

Would love to get the Pixel, but I can get the HTC 10 for nearly 200 euro cheaper :/

I don't think it will work on the Irish account, but no harm in trying i'd say!

Would love to get the Pixel, but I can get the HTC 10 for nearly 200 euro cheaper :/

Yeah I've been considering it, but my brother and mam use HTC and I really don't like the skin — don't know how they do it.

The real problem is that I'm a slut for quick updates and new features. Plus, I'm one of the few that really like the back of the phone!

My first phone was a HTC Magic, and every Nexus up to the Nexus 5, and I really need to update now. Smashed the screen in July and have been waiting since, so I'm too set on getting it after all the waiting.

The biggest reason for not updating since the Nexus 5 is that I just didn't want a bigger screen, and this is the first opportunity while keeping Google updates.

Seems to be the case based on this: https://www.ros.ie/info/faq/EVRfaq.html

Is your dad a sole trader? I know VAT rulings are different in terms of VAT on purchases versus VAT on sales. I know you said company, but just asking as many sole traders still refer to it as a company.

The only thing I can think of is the threshold whereby if a UK company sell above the threshold amount into Ireland then they are obliged to register for VAT in Ireland. Reading that link would indicate that EVR is specifically for purchases where the VAT is collected in the other state, not under an Irish VAT number — so I doubt that's the issue.

No, it's an actual company. Maybe he was just mistaken, it's never been a huge deal for him any way as he'd mostly get stuff from Amazon which are registered for Irish VAT.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've been considering it, but my brother and mam use HTC and I really don't like the skin — don't know how they do it.

The real problem is that I'm a slut for quick updates and new features. Plus, I'm one of the few that really like the back of the phone!

My first phone was a HTC Magic, and every Nexus up to the Nexus 5, and I really need to update now. Smashed the screen in July and have been waiting since, so I'm too set on getting it after all the waiting.

The biggest reason for not updating since the Nexus 5 is that I just didn't want a bigger screen, and this is the first opportunity while keeping Google updates.

I love the design of the Pixel, the glass back looks like it would feel nice and the "chin" has grown on me to an extent. But in terms of bang for buck, sameish specs on the 10 and an SD card slot.

Although, Google are only supporting the Pixel for 2 years with software updates. Dunno how long HTC plan to support the 10.

@C-Shore - If you're unsuccessful with CPW, clove.co.uk are going to be stocking the Pixels. They will sell it VAT free of you provide your registered VAT nunber - https://m.clove.co.uk/google-pixel

I love the design of the Pixel, the glass back looks like it would feel nice and the "chin" has grown on me to an extent. But in terms of bang for buck, sameish specs on the 10 and an SD card slot.

Although, Google are only supporting the Pixel for 2 years with software updates. Dunno how long HTC plan to support the 10.

HTC always support for 2 years. If you go the custom ROM route, you can keep up to date past that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I have been due an upgrade for a while now and I thought I'd have a go and see if I could pre-order the Pixel phone through CPW or Curry's.

I tried CPW yesterday and the order was cancelled by them within an hour. I then tried Curry's this morning and they cancelled the order a few minutes ago.

I have been looking around to see if there has been any announcements (official or otherwise) regarding an Irish release date and there is nothing. Anyone see anything?

@C-Shore - If you're unsuccessful with CPW, clove.co.uk are going to be stocking the Pixels. They will sell it VAT free of you provide your registered VAT nunber - https://m.clove.co.uk/google-pixel

Ah I didn't see that on the site when I checked, thanks for that.

I'll try and contact them for dates etc.

wayne0308 wrote: »
    I have been due an upgrade for a while now and I thought I'd have a go and see if I could pre-order the Pixel phone through CPW or Curry's.

I tried CPW yesterday and the order was cancelled by them within an hour. I then tried Curry's this morning and they cancelled the order a few minutes ago.

I have been looking around to see if there has been any announcements (official or otherwise) regarding an Irish release date and there is nothing. Anyone see anything?

Interesting. What was the reason they gave?

Did you use an Irish address or parcel delivery via the north?

I'm planning on doing click and collect, but have to put the company address on the invoice.

Interesting. What was the reason they gave?

Did you use an Irish address or parcel delivery via the north?

I'm planning on doing click and collect, but have to put the company address on the invoice.

I used the parcelmotel address in the north for my delivery address and my own address as my billing address as that is the address my credit card is registered with.

The email that I got back from CPW said that there was an information mismatch in my order. I called them up and they said that they couldn't continue with the order because my billing address was in the republic. I had a feeling it would happen but thought it would be worth a try anyway.

• Advertisement

I used the parcelmotel address in the north for my delivery address and my own address as my billing address as that is the address my credit card is registered with.

The email that I got back from CPW said that there was an information mismatch in my order. I called them up and they said that they couldn't continue with the order because my billing address was in the republic. I had a feeling it would happen but thought it would be worth a try anyway.

Hmm, hopefully doing click and collect will be ok for me.

I'm in the UK every 2 weeks, so I'll just buy it in store if they cancel my order, but I want to pre-order to get the gift card.

Can you even set republic of Ireland as your billing address country? Or did you use your own address and just set it as UK?

I'd do click and collect for you, but you have to bring the card with you that you pre-order with.

Hmm, hopefully doing click and collect will be ok for me.

I'm in the UK every 2 weeks, so I'll just buy it in store if they cancel my order, but I want to pre-order to get the gift card.

Can you even set republic of Ireland as your billing address country? Or did you use your own address and just set it as UK?

I'd do click and collect for you, but you have to bring the card with you that you pre-order with.

For CPW it didn't ask for the country but it does look for a postcode for which I used parcel motels postcode up north. My order must have flagged for review by a person due to this.

For Curry's, the billing address was set to U.K. by default with no option to change.

For CPW it didn't ask for the country but it does look for a postcode for which I used parcel motels postcode up north. My order must have flagged for review by a person due to this.

For Curry's, the billing address was set to U.K. by default with no option to change.

Well hopefully using the post code from the office we use in Manchester will suffice for me unless they match it to the address line by line.

If i don't get an email by tomorrow then I'll assume I'm in the clear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Apologies if I've missed this, but I've found it tough to get an answer anywhere online (incl. this thread!): Would an unlocked Pixel XL purchased in the USA work over here?

I had considered purchasing my Nexus 6P from the USA as I was going to be there in person to buy it. However, I understand some of the LTE bands in the US phones were not compatible or absent on the Irish networks. I'm not well-versed enough in the carriers, bands, US vs EU/Ireland, etc. when it comes to these things so I'm hoping someone can advise about the Pixel. Here's a link to the bands these new handsets support, if it helps: http://www.droid-life.com/2016/10/04/google-pixel-and-pixel-xl-supported-networks-lte-bands/

I'm on Three and will be staying there for the foreseeable future. Thanks! :D

WetDaddy wrote: »
    Apologies if I've missed this, but I've found it tough to get an answer anywhere online (incl. this thread!): Would an unlocked Pixel XL purchased in the USA work over here?

I had considered purchasing my Nexus 6P from the USA as I was going to be there in person to buy it. However, I understand some of the LTE bands in the US phones were not compatible or absent on the Irish networks. I'm not well-versed enough in the carriers, bands, US vs EU/Ireland, etc. when it comes to these things so I'm hoping someone can advise about the Pixel. Here's a link to the bands these new handsets support, if it helps: http://www.droid-life.com/2016/10/04/google-pixel-and-pixel-xl-supported-networks-lte-bands/

I'm on Three and will be staying there for the foreseeable future. Thanks! :D

Going by GSMArena, the Pixel XL supports all the Irish bands so it will work fine here. Some other EU countries might use bands that we don't so you might have trouble roaming on holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Going by GSMArena, the Pixel XL supports all the Irish bands so it will work fine here. Some other EU countries might use bands that we don't so you might have trouble roaming on holidays.

Thanks very much - you don't happen to know those countries by any chance?

WetDaddy wrote: »
    Thanks very much - you don't happen to know those countries by any chance?

Afraid not. The US version may even be compatible with the bands used in all EU countries, I just don't know. You can check different countries bands here. The bands the Pixel XL supports can be found here.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

So now the Google Store has no phones for sale and it probably wont for a long time, they do things a little differently in those google headquarters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Stacksey wrote: »
    So now the Google Store has no phones for sale and it probably wont for a long time, they do things a little differently in those google headquarters

Were outside of the US of A, so are just an afterthought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

anyone manage get one of these ordered lately. must return note 7 fav. this is only replacement in my eyes as s7 edge isn't top range once s8 comes out. 2 yr contract for thats underwhelming but Pixel XL 128GB might have that wow factor.

Well hopefully using the post code from the office we use in Manchester will suffice for me unless they match it to the address line by line.

If i don't get an email by tomorrow then I'll assume I'm in the clear!

Just to update on this, they cancelled my order.

Essentially, they won't accept payment from a card that isn't registered in the UK to allow for fraud checks.

So the only option is to buy it in store when I'm there next week.

They said that stores will have stock anyway, so walking in and buying on the day shouldn't be a problem.

kevin2me wrote: »
    anyone manage get one of these ordered lately. must return note 7 fav. this is only replacement in my eyes as s7 edge isn't top range once s8 comes out. 2 yr contract for thats underwhelming but Pixel XL 128GB might have that wow factor.
    No, although I didn't try ordering on the Google Store, but CPW isn't doable.

So just have to buy one next Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

How much are they working out from CPW?

• Advertisement

I doubt they'll have much in-store stock straight off the bat. Wouldn't be going especially without checking anyway.

They said they would have plenty. He wouldn't say exactly how much, but said just to call in and I'd be able to get one.

Either way I've to walk past the shop, so no real hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭youngblood

They said they would have plenty. He wouldn't say exactly how much, but said just to call in and I'd be able to get one.

Either way I've to walk past the shop, so no real hassle.

Keep us posted!

About €850 for the 128GB XL.

Over €900, don't you mean?

Maybe I was looking at the wrong one. Which is £719?

The 32gb xl (which would be my option). The 128 is £819

• Advertisement
Advertisement