Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google 'Pixel' Phones (and other Google event stuff)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Patww79 wrote: »

Says it's in stock on their website.
    I happen to be going to Newry on Monday anyway so I'll have a look at them, don't think I'll be buying one though, probably going to wait for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

Currys/Pcworld have both models on their site and also have plenty of stores up north so I was thinking maybe giving them a call to check availability and heading up.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/pixel/xx-criteria.html

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

Picked up the small one in Newry. Just called and asked what was in stock. Couple different shops in Newry to choose from.

So far I think the software integration makes it a really smooth experience.

Picked up the small one in Newry. Just called and asked what was in stock. Couple different shops in Newry to choose from.

Was just in the CPW shop there but they didn't have it on display, not arsed to queue up to ask to see it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I ordered on the google play store using tunnel bear and used a revolut card with the address set as the parcel motel address. Got my shipment notification today so hopefully have it either Saturday or monday
    Took that advice and it worked, thanks! How long did Parcel Motel take once receiving it? Mine got signed on Saturday and it's still not even checked in my parcelmotel account. Not calling them yet since it was the weekend but if it's not in my account by today EOB I'll start worrying with such an expensive phone.

I ordered on the google play store using tunnel bear and used a revolut card with the address set as the parcel motel address. Got my shipment notification today so hopefully have it either Saturday or monday
    Took that advice and it worked, thanks! How long did Parcel Motel take once receiving it? Mine got signed on Saturday and it's still not even checked in my parcelmotel account. Not calling them yet since it was the weekend but if it's not in my account by today EOB I'll start worrying with such an expensive phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

LeeroyJ. wrote: »

PM is slow these days, took longer than 1 working day to get from Finglas to my motel

Did they have both colours? Think I'm gonna head up to the one in Armagh Road , Newry provided they have the black model in stock.

Emmo-m- wrote: »
    Did they have both colours? Think I'm gonna head up to the one in Armagh Road , Newry provided they have the black model in stock.

I got the black model. They acted like I was the first one to get it.

I called Curry's and they checked for me.

• Advertisement

I got the black model. They acted like I was the first one to get it.

I called Curry's and they checked for me.

Cheers. How are you finding the phone so far?

I found both sizes on display in EE in Newry.
    Black model looked much better than the white one IMO. White looked tacky on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Do you know per chance if they had the official google cases there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ChrisWard1994

Mine was signed for Friday morning, and was in my local locker on the Saturday morning. Hopefully you'll get it soon

Cina wrote: »
    Do you know per chance if they had the official google cases there?
    They did have two types of cases. I think they started at 30 sterling though. Unfortunately, I didn't ask if they were the official cases.

Cheers. How are you finding the phone so far?

So far I really like it! I like the little details and the speed. Not used to talking to my phone except in the car. Although the assistant is much better than my old Moto X when connected to the Bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Hey there
    Can you tell me if yours has the 24/7 phone and chat buttons and also are you having any wifi problems?
    My one won't stay connected keeps jumping between wifi and mobile, driving me nuts.
    Could you also tell me what your software build no is, mine is NDE63H
    Cheers

boc121 wrote: »
    Hey there
    Can you tell me if yours has the 24/7 phone and chat buttons and also are you having any wifi problems?
    My one won't stay connected keeps jumping between wifi and mobile, driving me nuts.
    Could you also tell me what your software build no is, mine is NDE63H
    Cheers
    Hi,
    I have the same build number you do. No chat or phone buttons. I tried using a VPN service to log into a UK server. Still no buttons though. My Wi-Fi connected both at work and home without issue. Haven't tried an AC router though.

Probably US only, like everything else.

So none of Currys/PCworld have the phone in stock. You can only order online for collection in store as the stock is in their warehouse.

But you cannot have one sent to a store for collection without purchasing with UK card first.

• Advertisement

So none of Currys/PCworld have the phone in stock. You can only order online for collection in store as the stock is in their warehouse.

But you cannot have one sent to a store for collection without purchasing with UK card first.

Feck, really? Surprised it's selling out to be honest!

Apparently Google are pretty surprised by the popularity.

I'm currently resisting the urge by telling myself I'd essentially be paying €800 for software, since the hardware is no better than what i currently have. Reading people rant online about how overpriced it is also helps :D

Basil3 wrote: »
    Apparently Google are pretty surprised by the popularity.

I'm currently resisting the urge by telling myself I'd essentially be paying €800 for software, since the hardware is no better than what i currently have. Reading people rant online about how overpriced it is also helps :D

Interesting.

Wonder will a Revolut card work for it?

Although then you may as well order from the google store and get a PM I guess.

It's not that its sold out , its just that they only have stock in central warehouse , so you have to order and pay with UK card ,then they deliver to a store of your choice.

Revolut card might be the way but I've not used one before.

Revolut works, with the Google Store, C. warehouse and currys dont accept it.

Revolut works, with the Google Store, C. warehouse and currys dont accept it.

Do you know why they dont accept it? If you use a UK address on the Currys site and revolut card details would that not work?

Google are really making it harder each year to get their phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Basil3 wrote:
    I'm currently resisting the urge by telling myself I'd essentially be paying €800 for software, since the hardware is no better than what i currently have. Reading people rant online about how overpriced it is also helps

Gone for a Oneplus 3 instead. You are basically just paying for a VR-abled phone with the Pixel.

There is one on Adverts, can't link but it's a really really good deal. If anyone wants one, you should go for it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭youngblood

For anyone who purchased up north, do they have the pixel in stock in the car phone warehouse in newry? Do they need to be pre purchased online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

youngblood wrote: »
    For anyone who purchased up north, do they have the pixel in stock in the car phone warehouse in newry? Do they need to be pre purchased online?
    It's not possible to purchase online without a UK Card.

Either way, as long as they have stock you can just walk in and buy in.

Whether they have stock or not, maybe someone else can answer. You can always call and ask.
    I got mine in Newcastle on launch day and I just walked in and got it without any pre-order, and they said they had plenty in stock.

Bought and testing, cheers folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

So if sitting behind a VPN on the UK playstore can you buy once using Parcel motel as shipping address and say a Revolut card ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Flaccus wrote: »
    So if sitting behind a VPN on the UK playstore can you buy once using Parcel motel as shipping address and say a Revolut card ?

I did that with a Nexus 5 when they were on sale. I used work's UK VPN and got it delivered to parcel motel. I used my normal Irish credit card because there was no revolut then. Worked fine so unless they've changed something it should work for you.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Would you have to be prepared for zero support from Google if you got a dud though?

I never had any issues with mine so I don't know. You could always tell them you were living in the UK at the time but moved back here. I'd say they wouldn't really care too much anyway.

@flaccus - I set up a brand new Gmail account that was registered and only ever accessed through the UK VPN. Not sure if that was necessary but best be on the safe side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I was looking earlier and when I was not logged in using a UK vpn I could add the pixel to my basket but as soon as I logged into my normal account i couldn't do anything and I couldn't see a way to set a UK shipping address to send it to.

Would you need a special UK only account to buy it?

matrim wrote: »
    I was looking earlier and when I was not logged in using a UK vpn I could add the pixel to my basket but as soon as I logged into my normal account i couldn't do anything and I couldn't see a way to set a UK shipping address to send it to.

Would you need a special UK only account to buy it?

Try setting up a new account while connected to the VPN.

I did that with a Nexus 5 when they were on sale. I used work's UK VPN and got it delivered to parcel motel. I used my normal Irish credit card because there was no revolut then. Worked fine so unless they've changed something it should work for you.

Yeah, the trick is the VPN. Anything I tried (tunnel bear for instance) won't work as it just redirects to google ireland. Can try creating a UK account I guess.

Or try this, where Google tech support show how to change Play country. Seems from reading this, that the billing address has to match the country your account is in which is a bummer.
    https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/play/QXdA_Q3V1o8

• Advertisement

By the way, if anyone has one of these, how does the back glass hold up. I obviously don't expect any one to do a scratch test :) But lots reviews and posts on various forums saying it scratches very easily in normal day to day use. Possibly not gorilla glass 4 as advertised on the back.

I slapped a case on it right away, I imagine the whole thing scratches just as easy as the iphone as its mostly the same materials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Flaccus wrote: »
    By the way, if anyone has one of these, how does the back glass hold up. I obviously don't expect any one to do a scratch test :) But lots reviews and posts on various forums saying it scratches very easily in normal day to day use. Possibly not gorilla glass 4 as advertised on the back.
    It scratches, but they're scratches that you can't see unless at a certain angle.
    So looking at it straight on, you can't see scratches. Then if you turn it to catch the light, then you can see little scratches.

Same as the Nexus 4 if you had one.

Mine went straight into a case, so cant comment.
    Looking for a flip cover, any recommendations?

Anyone go for tempered glass?

C-Shore wrote: »
    It scratches, but they're scratches that you can't see unless at a certain angle.
    So looking at it straight on, you can't see scratches. Then if you turn it to catch the light, then you can see little scratches.

Same as the Nexus 4 if you had one.

It's either a coating then or really crappy acrylic or glass. I'm too fussy to have to deal with that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Any word on these launching in Ireland or if any carriers will be offering them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭droidman123

Its the same nonsense all those years ago with the nexus 10 tablet.that wasnt available in ireland either,i had to go through hoops using vpns etc,ridiculous carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Its the same nonsense all those years ago with the nexus 10 tablet.that wasnt available in ireland either,i had to go through hoops using vpns etc,ridiculous carry on

Yeah I remember that, jumped those hopes too. And yet even that was still easier than it is today...

• Advertisement
Advertisement