Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tyres for a Hybrid

Options
  • 12-09-2016 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Folks, I have an Ammaco CS250 Hybrid bike for just heading to the shops and leisure cycling on holidays.

But yesterday I did a bit of woodland cycling and really enjoyed it. The tyres stood up fine to the abuse but I know I need to get decent MTB or cyclo cross tyres.

Is it OK to put new tyres on the wheel or should I just get wheels altogether? And what sort of tyres should I get then?

I don't intend to be cycling down hills on a MTB trail, mainly flat woodland will be the norm.

Never did any of this before so all suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sounds like you should buy a cross country mountain bike to me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I use these on the hybrid for fire roads, canal tow paths etc... do the job and well priced; http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/schwalbe-cx-comp-cyclocross-bike-tyre/rp-prod24615 CX tyres better if you're mixing road and light off road. Wouldn't bother changing wheels unless you start popping spokes too regularly. Main advantage of spare wheels is ease of changing tyres before your spin based on anticipated conditions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Brian? wrote: »
    Sounds like you should buy a cross country mountain bike to me.

Oh yeah, and what he said. New bike. New bike is always the right answer to any cycling related question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tcooley

Yeah I was thinking of a new bike but I literally have no room left in the shed with the other two bikes as is.

I'll look into those tyres. I was worried about popping spokes. If that starts happening I'll buy them. For now I'll stick to those tyres.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

tcooley wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking of a new bike but I literally have no room left in the shed with the other two bikes as is.

I'll look into those tyres. I was worried about popping spokes. If that starts happening I'll buy them. For now I'll stick to those tyres.

What 2 bikes do you have?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tcooley

Brian, I have a Scott racer and Ammaco Hybrid.

Advertisement