Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working with anxiety

Options
  • 12-09-2016 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys,
    I'm working full time hours at the moment. I have an 8 month old and Im finding it so hard to get childminders etc. My own mum was looking after the baby but she's not feeling great health wise. Creche is so expensive that it almost wouldn't be worth my while working if I were to pay.

Thing is I suffer from anxiety due to the death of my first child two years ago. I absolutely hate my job at the moment, its the type of work that involves hitting targets and pretty much listening to people give out all day. I just feel I'm at a point in my life where I genuinely can't do this kind of work anymore. It's too much pressure on top of normal every day things. I'm quite sure I'm not performing to my best ability because of this. I have been looking for a job that would suit a little better hours wise and for my own mental health but I can't seem to find anything. Unfortunately I cannot stop working before Christmas. After christmas I can afford to take a little time out and gather myself but I just don't know if I can last that long.

If anyone has advice or if anyone has been in a similar situation I would love to know how you managed or what the outcome was. I genuinely feel if I was in a less pressured job I would feel better in myself. I am not lazy and I enjoy working but I really do need to make a change for my own sake and my baby!! Thanks guys, a little lost at the moment x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Hey OP. I'm very sorry for the loss of your child, and I commend you for sticking with work despite the anxiety and stress you're under.

I think right now, you should continue looking for jobs as you have been doing. Most importantly, I think you should see your GP. You can discuss how you're feeling with them and they can help. This might be something like counselling, or medication, or a sick cert for a period of time, it could be anything.

As you said, you're kinda stuck there til after Christmas, so aside from job hunting, you should talk to your GP and work on your health, as that's the most important part.

I'm sorry you're in a bad situation and i wish you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anxiousmummy28

Thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate it! My doctor has been very good I met with her last month to try and get myself back on track and I'm changing my shift in October with work so hopefully that will help also. I just guess I was letting things get on top of me and felt a little lost. I check for job postings every morning so I am actively looking and will continue to do so.

Thanks again for the support x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Well, it sounds like you're doing all the right things, which is brilliant!

The only other thing I can suggest is breaking down everything that's stressing you into small, manageable targets.

You could be waking up and thinking "oh god, I have to get someone to mind the baby, find a new job, do the food shopping, clean the house, my god, how will I manage it all?" and it's all one huge, overwhelming task that makes you anxious.

So instead, start breaking it down into smaller tasks.

Say to yourself, "okay. I won't find a new job today, but I'll have a look online for 15 minutes." Once you've done that, that's that part done.

Then move onto the next part - house needs cleaning? Do one room today and move on.

Baby needs a minder - look online at nanny websites for half an hour, send some emails if anyone seems good. Then forget about it for the rest of the day!

Break everything down, piece by piece. Focus on one task at a time, instead of letting it all overwhelm and consume you.

You're doing great, and i hope your shift change next month helps. Next month is only a few weeks away, so stay strong.

Advertisement