Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log cabin on parents land

Options
  • 12-09-2016 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all.

Myself and my girlfriend are in deep discussion about buying a log cabin and putting it on land that we can acquire from parents .

I'm getting mixed taught on prices to get it from the factory to livable and I'm hoping someone here can shed(😂😂) some light on the cost.

Realistically we have €25000 budget . It's not a permanent solution so I'm not looking for 200sq foot or anything like it. Just basic . Bedroom , kitchen area , sitting room . You get the idea .

It's basically a substitute for Dublin's mega rent crisis while we save for a mortgage.

Has anyone gone through the complete process and what sort of money would it cost all in legal cost and external ground works.

Any information at all would be appreciated.

Mark Maguire

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi all.

Myself and my girlfriend are in deep discussion about buying a log cabin and putting it on land that we can acquire from parents .

I'm getting mixed taught on prices to get it from the factory to livable and I'm hoping someone here can shed(😂😂) some light on the cost.

Realistically we have €25000 budget . It's not a permanent solution so I'm not looking for 200sq foot or anything like it. Just basic . Bedroom , kitchen area , sitting room . You get the idea .

It's basically a substitute for Dublin's mega rent crisis while we save for a mortgage.

Has anyone gone through the complete process and what sort of money would it cost all in legal cost and external ground works.

Any information at all would be appreciated.

Mark Maguire

Before you go spending money that could be saved for a real house, get planning permission. Which is a retorical statement tbh, as you will,not get planning permission.

25k should get you through the planning process, contributions, water connection, ESB, sewerage could be 10k alone!

Then you have to meet current building regulations with regards to new builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Markmmaguire

kceire wrote: »
    Before you go spending money that could be saved for a real house, get planning permission. Which is a retorical statement tbh, as you will,not get planning permission.

25k should get you through the planning process, contributions, water connection, ESB, sewerage could be 10k alone!

Then you have to meet current building regulations with regards to new builds.

Thanks for the reply. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment paying €1300 a month in dead rent. Whereas if I put some money into a relatively secure asset that will when required return me some money I'd be happy .

I appreciate what your saying about saving money for a "real" house. We were offered land and got is thinking.

You don't think we would have anywhere near enough with 25k then

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for the reply. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment paying €1300 a month in dead rent. Whereas if I put some money into a relatively secure asset that will when required return me some money I'd be happy .

But will you have an asset? What you will have is a glorifed domestic shed with no value. And if Planning Enforcement get involved, it will have to be removed and then you are further out of pocket as you will have to fire sell the shed.

You don't think we would have anywhere near enough with 25k then

If the 25k is to include planning, compliance with the planning permission and then compliance with building regulations, then no, you haven't got near enough.

Advertisement