Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50/Port Tunnel toll users face hikes over EU court decision

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Can they not just charge VAT and use that money to create an additional subsidy to offset the price increase? (I imagine a public subsidy for the usage of paying road infrastructures is not illegal). At the end of the day it would be a zero sum game for the governemetn and motorists, and we could tell the ECJ "here you go, we are now charging VAT".

I must be missing something, but what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

If they added VAT on it (eg €3 + 23%) then it'd be an increase but if they just paid themselves VAT (eg €3 of which 23% is now VAT) then theres no difference in the end as the government pockets the money.
    Ok, the odd business person would be able to claim the VAT back but in the bigger scheme of things not a massive issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,526 ✭✭✭✭L1011

But they do charge VAT on them and have done so since a previous decision years ago? They've just lost an appeal against having to do it. I doubt anything will change.

My toll bill is entirely M50 and DPT and there's 23% VAT there.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

L1011 wrote: »
    But they do charge VAT on them and have done so since a previous decision years ago? They've just lost an appeal against having to do it. I doubt anything will change.

That's what I thought. I thought that I had heard of this years ago and was starting to think that I was delusional this morning when I heard of it all over again.

Advertisement