Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Electricity

Options
  • 12-09-2016 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I am a bord gais electricity customer and am not in any contract. I have recently made enquiries about switching to another provider and asked bord gais if my credit on my account would be refunded to my bank account. They said yes it would after the final bill had been settled.

However when I made further enquiries with Bord Gais and asked them if the credit that was given to me as an incentive to stay with them would be refunded they said no.

They said that customers are advised that this credit was non refundable. I do not recall being advised that this was non refundable when I dealt with Bord Gais over the phone nor can I see anything in their terms and conditions about this either. All I can find is the terms and conditions for credit for new customers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It seems clear enough in the terms.
    The offer is as stated and NO CASH ALTERNATIVES OR REFUNDS will be offered.
    (their capitalization)

It also seems reasonable that ant credit is off electricity usage with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Thanks for your reply Sham

The terms attached are for new customers as I said. The offer they put to me was to remain on as an existing customer. There is a clear difference and there are no terms and conditions for existing customers in relation to incentivised cash offers to remain on as a customer in writing that I can see. Can you see any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

horsebox7 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Sham

The terms attached are for new customers as I said. The offer they put to me was to remain on as an existing customer. There is a clear difference and there are no terms and conditions for existing customers in relation to incentivised cash offers to remain on as a customer in writing that I can see. Can you see any?

Admittedly I've not done as much homework on this as Srameen and I realise you were asking him or her nicely to give you a fresh pair of eyes as before, but assuming for a moment that no mention is made of it in the contract what do you believe you can do?

I'm afraid it's well settled that written contracts can not be altered by parol (verbal changes/clarification) and even where the contract is silent someone is going to simply say, 'Credit? Oh we meant any over payment!' I think this one is a hiding to nothing I'm afraid OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I am a bord gais electricity customer and am not in any contract. I have recently made enquiries about switching to another provider and asked bord gais if my credit on my account would be refunded to my bank account. They said yes it would after the final bill had been settled.

However when I made further enquiries with Bord Gais and asked them if the credit that was given to me as an incentive to stay with them would be refunded they said no.

They said that customers are advised that this credit was non refundable. I do not recall being advised that this was non refundable when I dealt with Bord Gais over the phone nor can I see anything in their terms and conditions about this either. All I can find is the terms and conditions for credit for new customers.

Am i right in saying they gave you credit in order to stay with them when you were thinking of leaving?

If so, and you are now leaving then obviously they would be dead right not to refund you this credit - well depends on the time period i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

I am not in any contract and they told me any remaining credit would be given back to me. They then rowed back from this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

I am not in any contract and they told me any remaining credit would be given back to me. They then rowed back from this.

I think there may have been confusion.

If your account was in credit due to overpayment, then any overpayment credit would be paid back.

The €100 credit is different - its for you to transfer it from being a credit to your account. This can take up to 35 days as per t&c. Then your new bill is simply reduced by that amount.

But not transferring it to your bill and hoping they will just send you a cheque won't happen and is quite clearly stated in the terms.

Advertisement