Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I spend too much on grooming products?

• 12-09-2016 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

The discussion came up over the weekend about grooming products and what most guys use now. I mentioned that I probably spend about €50 a month on products. Apparently this is “crazy” money to be spending according to some of the group! But I use everything I buy. It doesn’t go to waste. Most days I’d use Shampoo, Conditioner, Shower Gel, Deodorant, Shaving Cream, Face Scrub, Moisturiser and some other products I’d use less frequently. So it's easy to see how I get through so much! I guess I could be spending a little more than I need to going for certain brands but I think it’s worth it to have good hair and skin!

Maybe I’m over doing it but I really don’t think so! What do people here spend on grooming products? What are the products you always use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

i'd say this is slightly above average.

would imagine a lot of fellas wouldn't use conditioner or face scrub.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would guess the guys that called this crazy money would have no problem spending €100 a week on alcohol. I estimate my monthly spend on grooming is less than €10 but I would also guess you have a better social life than we and look smarter ;)

Spend your money on whatever you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

If the question is do you spend more than an average guy the answer is slightly I'd say. Branded deodorants etc are actually quite pricey and it all adds up. I'd say most guys don't realise just how much it adds up to.
    Most of my stuff comes from Lidl but if I was buying it all branded I'd easily spend that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Conditioner
    Shaving Cream
    Face Scrub
    Moisturiser

I don't use any of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

The discussion came up over the weekend about grooming products and what most guys use now. I mentioned that I probably spend about €50 a month on products. Apparently this is “crazy” money to be spending according to some of the group! But I use everything I buy. It doesn’t go to waste. Most days I’d use Shampoo, Conditioner, Shower Gel, Deodorant, Shaving Cream, Face Scrub, Moisturiser and some other products I’d use less frequently. So it's easy to see how I get through so much! I guess I could be spending a little more than I need to going for certain brands but I think it’s worth it to have good hair and skin!

Maybe I’m over doing it but I really don’t think so! What do people here spend on grooming products? What are the products you always use?

The only things I use everyday are toothpaste, deoderant and moisturiser. My skin dries out and will become flakey if I don't moisturise daily. Face wash and shower gel are not used everyday but every couple of days normally alternating. Shampoo and conditioner are not good for you to be used every single day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Spend your money on whatever you want.
    This is all you really need to consider.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Depends on your income, if your on the scratch yes, if your earning good money no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Wibbs wrote: »
    This is all you really need to consider.

Well, if you're spending money that you should be spending on rent, bills, putting petrol in the car, and so forth, then you are spending too much. But other than that, yeah, go crazy if it makes you feel good.

If you're worried that 50 a month would make you effeminate, and that's something you don't want to be, rest assured that what most women consider essential would leave that figure behind in the dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

It's definitely more than most men would, but there isn't really a marker - nor it means anything.

I'd be middle of the road - not exactly the "piece of soap rubbed everywhere" kind of guy, but not Patrick shown above :D

For the day-to-day, I would mostly use supermarket products; I get most of my shower gel/shampoo in Lidl, might not be the best of the best but it does its job for the morning or after gym showers, and you can stock up for months with the likes of 5 Euro.

For the rest, day-to-day:
    - No conditioner as I hate the greasy feel they leave on the hair;
    - Rarely use shaving cream/foam/gel, I just started shaving raw and prefer being able to see what I'm doing; If you use a new blade every time, there's little or no irritation;
    - Sweat like a polar bear at the Cayman Islands, so anti-perspirant is a must;
    - Occasionally use a scrub, usually carbon-based;

I've recently considered starting using moisturizer as I actually have some that came from one of those "Men care products" boxes - the problem, as you might have guessed, is that I hate the greasy feel it leaves behind...and also, I seem to be incapable of getting into a habit. I will forget after a few days, just like I do with the scrub (I only rush to it whenever some spot(s) appear); Part of it is because to be honest, whenever I use those products I rarely see any benefit.

For a more "special" occasion and the odd night out, I keep some good quality stuff - after shave and fragrance, usually Armani Mania.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Speedwell wrote: »

If you're worried that 50 a month would make you effeminate, and that's something you don't want to be, rest assured that what most women consider essential would leave that figure behind in the dust.

This is very true. I was going through the airport recently and I stopped to buy a Clinique face wash (that I genuinely always use and its about€5 cheaper in the airport - not just an airport impulse buy) and a lipstick in MAC (ok, this was an impulse buy ;)) He was beside me as I was paying, and it came to €44 I think, and he was aghast!

Himself would say he's very low maintenance and generally thats true, but I also know he robs my conditioner fairly regularly (I don't keep my expensive Redken ones in the shower anymore because he'd use them all up on me!) and if he has dry skin or whatever he's straight over to my dressing table looking for creams. He has no idea how much stuff costs! I've recently bought him a little tub of basic nivea face cream and hand cream and left them on his bedside table just so he'll leave my nice Image stuff alone!

OP - I'd say lots of men like that stuff but just wouldnt be accustomed to paying for it and therefore don't realise the prices, especially for brands. in short if that stuff makes you happy and you can afford it, then keep doing what you're doing.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    It's definitely more than most men would, but there isn't really a marker - nor it means anything.

I'd be middle of the road - not exactly the "piece of soap rubbed everywhere" kind of guy, but not Patrick shown above :D

For the day-to-day, I would mostly use supermarket products; I get most of my shower gel/shampoo in Lidl, might not be the best of the best but it does its job for the morning or after gym showers, and you can stock up for months with the likes of 5 Euro.

For the rest, day-to-day:
    - No conditioner as I hate the greasy feel they leave on the hair;
    - Rarely use shaving cream/foam/gel, I just started shaving raw and prefer being able to see what I'm doing; If you use a new blade every time, there's little or no irritation;
    - Sweat like a polar bear at the Cayman Islands, so anti-perspirant is a must;
    - Occasionally use a scrub, usually carbon-based;

I've recently considered starting using moisturizer as I actually have some that came from one of those "Men care products" boxes - the problem, as you might have guessed, is that I hate the greasy feel it leaved behind...and also, I seem to be incapable of getting into a habit. I will forget after a few days, just like I do with the scrub (I only rush to it whenever some spot(s) appear); Part of it is because to be honest, whenever I use those products I rarely see any benefit.

For a more "special" occasion and the odd night out, I keep some good quality stuff - after shave and fragrance, usually Armani Mania.

Sorry for derailing the OP's thread but just to point out;
    1. moisturizer shouldnt leave you feeling greasy, its not a one size fits all thing though, so its possible whatever product you have is too rich for your skin?
    2. you probably won't see effects in the short term (although your skin should feel more comfortable IMO, ie, not tight after a shower), moisturizer is an investment in your skin long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Saipanne wrote: »
    Conditioner
    Shaving Cream
    Face Scrub
    Moisturiser

I don't use any of these.

Despite Mrs Billy's best efforts I don't use these either. But I'd imagine the OP will look a damn sight less haggard than me in 10 years time. :o

@OP - Spend your cash on whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

As soon as I typed that line about the products I use every day I could see someone replying with an American Psycho reference! :P

Yeah just because it shocked others doesn’t mean I will change my ways. It just got me curious to know how much others spend on grooming products?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Sorry for derailing the OP's thread but just to point out;
    1. moisturizer shouldnt leave you feeling greasy, its not a one size fits all thing though, so its possible whatever product you have is too rich for your skin?

Very much possible Sarah, I'd be no expert you know :D

I also think I have some sort of heightened sensitivity towards the feel of "greasiness" - I seem to be able to detect it where most people say they can't.
    2. you probably won't see effects in the short term (although your skin should feel more comfortable IMO, ie, not tight after a shower), moisturizer is an investment in your skin long term.

That's the whole point - besides the area around my nose, which sometimes would acquire a markedly dried out / flaky look, I actually never feel anything out of the ordinary. The one situation where I did experience some dermal "discomfort" was, well, down there in man's land for a few weeks after the stitches from an "excessive skin removal" operation fell out :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No big deal, that's fine. Not using conditioner would leave your hair absolute crap and sticky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Grooming items is one area I wouldnt feel bad spending extra in..What possible harm could being well groomed cause in your life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm probably the polar opposite to the OP

Shower Gel - £0.80
    Roll-on Anti P (Usually Nivea Invisible) - £1
    Shampoo - steal hers

That's all I could think of daily use - I'm guessing we're not including tooth paste, floss etc.

I do like a proper shave every once in a while so:
    Shaving Cream (Bond Street) - £10 per year/2 years
    Pre/post shave cream (Proraso) - £5 per year/2years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

I don't shave daily only couple times a week as I like a light beard/heavy stubble.

But for daily shaving, buying regular foam would be needed. Same for deodorant and any after shave balm and cologne/aftershave

I have to use moisturiser cause my skin gets dry but only it couple times s week.

As for shampoo and conditioner, would it be great using both daily? Would it not damage the hair and scalp?

Don't use a face scrub tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Just out of interest is a face scrub any use for dry skin before putting on cream or is it more for dirty greasy blocked pores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Cleanliness is next to godliness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Yes you spend too much on those products. Stop being so vain and let it grow man and stop putting makeup on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I live in the American Gardens building, West 81st Street on the eleventh floor. My name is Patrick Bateman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

If you can afford them and you enjoy them, then there's no such thing as spending too much.
    Just to note, scrubs/exfoliators shouldn't be used daily - I've noticed a marked improvement in my skin since I stopped using a gritty exfoliator every day (now I use one once or twice a week).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Actually, just, on a serious note, I'm female and I spend fifty euro roughly every six months. I always buy pretty high-end cosmetics and get my shampoo and conditioner at the salon. We have fancy soap and moisturiser too and I'm actually including that. My partner (male) reckons he spends the same, if even that.

I actually can't even fathom where that money could possibly be going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I am the proud owner of a toothbrush and a bar of soap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

endacl wrote: »
    I am the proud owner of a toothbrush and a bar of soap.

Well this is metrosexuality pushed to the limits! :pac::pac::D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

mzungu wrote: »
    Well this is metrosexuality pushed to the limits! :pac::pac::D

Depends on the brand of soap. If it is Dove he is metro to the max :pac:

Just out of interest is a face scrub any use for dry skin before putting on cream or is it more for dirty greasy blocked pores

I think a face scrub is a good idea for everyone, as no matter what type of skin you have, our skin is naturally replacing itself all the time, and it just helps shift the dead skins cells. Once a week should be plenty though, you don't want to strip your face every day.

• Advertisement

Actually, just, on a serious note, I'm female and I spend fifty euro roughly every six months. I always buy pretty high-end cosmetics and get my shampoo and conditioner at the salon. We have fancy soap and moisturiser too and I'm actually including that. My partner (male) reckons he spends the same, if even that.

I actually can't even fathom where that money could possibly be going.

€50 every six months? Thats good going. I use mostly high end products and thankfully they tend to run out at different times but theres usually something that needs replacing every 4-6 weeks.

Leaving aside make up, I spend a decent around on skincare alone. I use the Image daily moisturizer with SPF 50 (€46) which I'd typically get 3/4 months from. Then Image Vital C cream which is €76 and lasts about 6 months. I use a relatively cheap LRP eye-cream for about €18 that lasts maybe 3 months. Then a Clinique cleanser which costs about €24 and lasts maybe 4/5 months. I also have a Kiehls exfoliate which was probably around €25 but would last 6 months+.

I also buy salon sizes of Redken (1L bottles) that cost about €60 for both, but last about 9 months.

All of my friends would spend about the same - I thought this was normal!

Now my OH only spends whatever some razors cost + shaving foam + deodorant + head&shoulders 2in1. He just robs my stuff when he wants nicer things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Now my only spends whatever some razors cost + shaving foam + deodorant + head&shoulders 2in1. He just robs my stuff when he wants nicer things!

A few people have said that so far, lol. So the answer to the OP's topical question seems to be, yes, you should let the lady pay for them instead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Depends on the brand of soap. If it is Dove he is metro to the max :pac:

Actually not sure of the brand! Leftover hotel soap from the holiday this year. May be fancy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Keep spending what you're spending, OP. It's an investment more than anything.

I use the following:

Clarins face wash
    Clinique face scrub (twice a week)
    L'Oreal shampoo and conditioner
    Kiehl's moisturiser
    Kiehl's eye gel
    L'Oreal hair wax
    Beard oil

It's more than most, but I look marvellous :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I think a face scrub is a good idea for everyone, as no matter what type of skin you have, our skin is naturally replacing itself all the time, and it just helps shift the dead skins cells. Once a week should be plenty though, you don't want to strip your face every day.

Bit of sugar would do the job

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Bit of sugar would do the job

Absolutely, if you google it there are tonnes of recipes online for home made scrubs. Doesnt have to be store bought (although just squeezing a bit from a tube is easier and quicker ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Absolutely, if you google it there are tonnes of recipes online for home made scrubs. Doesnt have to be store bought (although just squeezing a bit from a tube is easier and quicker ;))

Yeah with fruit, etc.

Apparently cold water is better for the skin too & after washing your hair you should put it under cold water to help the look of it

WTF is eye gel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Don't underestimate common sense too. Don't smoke, eat well, get enough sleep, drink water and sunblock.

I don't use any beauty products beyond soap and shampoo and my skin is in good condition and I look younger than my age. I think a lot of products out there are just high end versions of things you can softer make yourself at home.

WTF is eye gel?

Its just like eye cream, only some people prefer the feeling of a gel rather than a cream, it feels cooler and non-greasy typically.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Don't underestimate common sense too. Don't smoke, eat well, get enough sleep, drink water and sunblock.

I don't use any beauty products beyond soap and shampoo and my skin is in good condition and I look younger than my age. I think a lot of products out there are just high end versions of things you can softer make yourself at home.

Oh yea, all the products in the world won't undo lifestyle factors. Water, non smoking and SPF are key. I drink 3L water per day, wear SPF50 no matter what and have never been a smoaker. People often put me at mid 20's instead of 30. I actually was asked to show my drivers license going into a bar on Dawson St the other week (nearly died of happiness!)

I'm a big advocate for wearing sunblock no matter the weather, and I only go for an expensive facial one as sits well underneath my make up. A normal sunblock would feel to greasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

H3llR4iser wrote: »

You must spend a fortune on shaving blades so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

All I buy is shower gel that's also shampoo, although I shave my head so don't need shampoo, and I grow a beard so no need for shaving gel, maintenance can be done without any kind of shaving creams. Although I have a fancy witch hazel after shave. After that all I use is toothpaste.

I don't use deodorants because they all smell the same as the chemicals that you use to clean floors to me. They don't work. They're also made from the byproducts of the nuclear power industry. I have no interest in spraying a chemical concoction all over my skin.

I think most beauty products are nothing more than a marketing ploy, most are just a bunch of smelly chemicals that do feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

What do you use for deodorant, ScumLord?

Its just like eye cream, only some people prefer the feeling of a gel rather than a cream, it feels cooler and non-greasy typically.

Ok. The logical follow on question is what is eye cream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Don't worry, you don't put it inside your eyes! :)

Theory is that the skin under and around your eyes is thinner and more delicate than the rest of your face, so eye cream is typically a more gentle cream with finer particles, suitable for the most delicate skin. :)

Mostly people use it to help stave off fine lines and wrinkles under and around the eyes (crows feet) but really the only way to prevent them fully is to stop smiling and laughing completely and adopt a nutral facial expression :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

ScumLord wrote: »
    All I buy is shower gel that's also shampoo, although I shave my head so don't need shampoo, and I grow a beard so no need for shaving gel, maintenance can be done without any kind of shaving creams. Although I have a fancy witch hazel after shave. After that all I use is toothpaste.

I don't use deodorants because they all smell the same as the chemicals that you use to clean floors to me. They don't work. They're also made from the byproducts of the nuclear power industry. I have no interest in spraying a chemical concoction all over my skin.

I think most beauty products are nothing more than a marketing ploy, most are just a bunch of smelly chemicals that do feck all.

Good on you, don't give in to the est.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What do you use for deodorant, ScumLord?
    I don't use deodorant. I don't feel the need. I wash every morning. If I'm going to be doing something that would make me sweat, deodorant isn't going to do a bit of good.

Theory is that the skin under and around your eyes is thinner and more delicate than the rest of your face, so eye cream is typically a more gentle cream with finer particles, suitable for the most delicate skin. :)

Mostly people use it to help stave off fine lines and wrinkles under and around the eyes (crows feet) but really the only way to prevent them fully is to stop smiling and laughing completely and adopt a nutral facial expression :p

The thinner skin thing is a marketing ploy. The skin is exactly the same as the skin a few cms around it, it simply has less fat deposited under it, and this normal fatty layer decreases with age, as it does the under the rest of your face, it's just more noticeable because there's less to begin with.

Why sell one cream when you can sell two, is the thinking.

A less thick cream will appear to absorb faster, though usually 'fast absorbing' creams simply have ingredients that evaporate faster, giving the impression of absorption. Those ingredients are usually drying, thus perpetuating the need to use the cream.

You also pay a great deal for pretty smells, packaging, advertising and brand prestige. None of those things help with dry skin.

A moisturizing sunscreen is probably the best anti aging product you can buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Just do your thang, not really anyones business

• Advertisement
Advertisement