Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Rent Row Mayhem" - Irish Independent Article

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

onform wrote: »
    The Indo article is slight on the details, but seems to be an example of worst case scenario in terms of tenant-landlord relations.

Interesting to read that the Guards told the owners to give the tenants the new keys...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rent-row-mayhem-as-violent-standoff-erupts-after-home-blaze-35041205.html

But we're not told the background to this. Anything can be read into this poorly written tabloid article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

It's a bit of a strange situation alright. Why would the tenants want to live in a house that's been fire damaged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    It's a bit of a strange situation alright. Why would the tenants want to live in a house that's been fire damaged?

The house wasn't fire damaged, just the porch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I assume the landlord was trying to "encourage" them to pay due rent.

I didn't pick that up from the article.

I assumed the tenants were in a row with somebody else who set the fire. And the landlord wants them out because of it.

Very few details to go on though.

I didn't pick that up from the article.

I assumed the tenants were in a row with somebody else who set the fire. And the landlord wants them out because of it.

Very few details to go on though.

Superficial damage, the landlord arrives with a load of his mates and forwards the story to a paper with accompanying photos and video footage.

Sometimes you need to look beyond the "details"

• Advertisement

The house wasn't fire damaged, just the porch

The whole house would need to be fumigated. The smoke damage would be present in the inside of the house as well.

Superficial damage, the landlord arrives with a load of his mates and forwards the story to a paper with accompanying photos and video footage.

Sometimes you need to look beyond the "details"

I think you're looking too much into this. Unless you've got an inside scoop you're just looking for something that's not there.

The whole house would need to be fumigated. The smoke damage would be present in the inside of the house as well.

How do you work that out if the front door was damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

I assume
    You assume plenty alright

How do you work that out if the front door was damaged?

Are you serious? You don't think that the front door being damaged by fire would mean there'd be smoke in the house?

My neighbours shed went on fire and her house had to be cleared out because of the smoke that went in her windows.

• Advertisement

Are you serious? You don't think that the front door being damaged by fire would mean there'd be smoke in the house?

My neighbours shed went on fire and her house had to be cleared out because of the smoke that went in her windows.

Was a shed burnt at this front door of this house and was the burn time the same?

I think you're looking too much into this. Unless you've got an inside scoop you're just looking for something that's not there.

I'd could counter that you believe everything you read or take a lot of things at face value without looking for context.

And no, I don't have an inside scoop

Was a shed burnt at this front door of this house and was the burn time the same?

Burnt at his back door.

And no I don't believe everything I read but from looking at those pictures, there has to be some kind of smoke damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'd could counter that you believe everything you read or take a lot of things at face value without looking for context.

And no, I don't have an inside scoop

You assumed a lot in this instance without any evidence to back it up. There was no evidence to suggest the landlord set this fire, yet you implied he did. There was no mention of unpaid rent, yet you assumed the fire was set to "encourage them to pay rent". You assumed the landlord forwarded the footage to the paper. You assumed the house wasn't fire damaged, yet there is no footage of the interior, and the paper mentions two people taken to hospital with smoke inhalation.

That's a whole lot of assumption there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Methinks there's an awful lot more to this than meets the eye. It's interesting that the video footage of this confrontation is very good and isn't the usual shaky vertical video stuff you usually see from someone who stumbled across the situation. Who was filming and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod note: Considering there seems to be a lot more going on, I think we can close this thread. No need for idle speculation on any of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Methinks there's an awful lot more to this than meets the eye. It's interesting that the video footage of this confrontation is very good and isn't the usual shaky vertical video stuff you usually see from someone who stumbled across the situation. Who was filming and why?

Its also spliced in 2 places- you're not seeing a straight stream- its been edited......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement