Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windscreen Replacement - Rains Sensors etc. VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat.

• 12-09-2016 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had to replace a VAG windscreen that has Rain Sensors, Light Sensors etc.?

Is it still just a standard windscreen replacement from one of the many windscreen replacement companies or do the dealers need to involved due to the sensors?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

You might need to get the sensors recalibrated but I'd wait until afterwards. Was fine last time I had one done. Just make doubly sure it's the correct screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

No issues if it's just light & rain sensors on the windscreen - we organise many of these each year without issue.

If the car has camera's or sensors for lane assist, radar guided cruise control etc. then those sensors need to be calibrated when a new screen is fitted.

Some windscreen companies (possibly all) have the systems to do the recalibration, but it's not something that can be done by the mobile unit, so the car either has to go to the windscreen company base, or to main dealer for the screen replacement, so we're sending these to main dealer at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Here is alittle tale about windscreen replacement on my audi.
    They called to house. I informed them that auto wipers were working perfectly and that I wanted them that way after and invited them to test them there and then.
    They did test them.
    They pulled new screen out of van and 2 minutes later told me that there was a mark on it and wouldn't fit it and disappeared out the gate.
    The mark they showed me was not at all visible to me. It is clear to me that they could not guarantee the function of the wipers.
    Anyway, week later, they tell me to call out to premises to have new screen fitted. I did and wipers were fine after.
    roll on 18 months and rain sensor failed. Looking at windscreen I could see sensor had gone cloudy so I ordered up a new gel pad and went about fitting it.
    The cowboys had stuck the rain sensor to the screen with something resembling clear silicon and it was a right mess.
    After much cleaning, I fitted new gel pad and perfect since.

Watch them closely would be my recommendation.
    I'd query in advance that new gel pad was being supplied with screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

mickdw wrote: »
    Here is alittle tale about windscreen replacement on my audi.
    They called to house. I informed them that auto wipers were working perfectly and that I wanted them that way after and invited them to test them there and then.
    They did test them.
    They pulled new screen out of van and 2 minutes later told me that there was a mark on it and wouldn't fit it and disappeared out the gate.
    The mark they showed me was not at all visible to me. It is clear to me that they could not guarantee the function of the wipers.
    Anyway, week later, they tell me to call out to premises to have new screen fitted. I did and wipers were fine after.
    roll on 18 months and rain sensor failed. Looking at windscreen I could see sensor had gone cloudy so I ordered up a new gel pad and went about fitting it.
    The cowboys had stuck the rain sensor to the screen with something resembling clear silicon and it was a right mess.
    After much cleaning, I fitted new gel pad and perfect since.

Watch them closely would be my recommendation.
    I'd query in advance that new gel pad was being supplied with screen.

This the kind of thing I was worried about. Thanks for sharing.

R.O.R wrote: »
    No issues if it's just light & rain sensors on the windscreen - we organise many of these each year without issue.

If the car has camera's or sensors for lane assist, radar guided cruise control etc. then those sensors need to be calibrated when a new screen is fitted.

Some windscreen companies (possibly all) have the systems to do the recalibration, but it's not something that can be done by the mobile unit, so the car either has to go to the windscreen company base, or to main dealer for the screen replacement, so we're sending these to main dealer at the moment.

Is there any company you could recommend in particular?
    I'm based near Limerick so if you had a recommendation for someone around there I would really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I had one replaced in a MK6 Golf, no issues. By Autoglass. If it's a Golf, then the light sensor and rain sensor are built into the rear view mirror which is secured to the windscreen. I believe they are supposed to replace the "gel" substance that's in the rain sensor for a new one, and not stick back in the old one... that's what causes the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Panrich

You'd be very worried that some systems like collision avoidance would need very careful calibration afterwards. I know that my wifes new SUV got a pretty bad stone chip two days after getting it, and the initial diagnosis was that it would need a replacement windscreen, but after hearing about all the sensors involved, they decided that the chip could be repaired.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I had one replaced in a MK6 Golf, no issues. By Autoglass. If it's a Golf, then the light sensor and rain sensor are built into the rear view mirror which is secured to the windscreen. I believe they are supposed to replace the "gel" substance that's in the rain sensor for a new one, and not stick back in the old one... that's what causes the problems.

It's Mk3 Octavia vRs and the sensors seem to be in the "arm" of the rear view mirror alright.

I rang the main dealer where I get it serviced and they have recommended a windscreen place who do a lot of their cars so should be spot on.

I'm travelling to the UK for a few days this week and into next week and the crack is spreading from the top left corner towards the bottom right corner.
    It's about 300mm long right now.

Is it essential to get the windscreen done before I go or would I be ok until I get back?

I guess what I'm asking is how bad is it if the crack extends to the opposite edge of the screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

If it's spreading at all get it done before the trip. Sounds like a nasty one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Panrich wrote: »
    You'd be very worried that some systems like collision avoidance would need very careful calibration afterwards. I know that my wifes new SUV got a pretty bad stone chip two days after getting it, and the initial diagnosis was that it would need a replacement windscreen, but after hearing about all the sensors involved, they decided that the chip could be repaired.

The collision avoidance / cruise radar sensor is not in the windscreen in VAG cars, none that I'm aware of anyway. It's in the grill or the front badge (so even more vulnerable to damage tbh!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've had Autoglass replace a Ford Focus heated windscreen with a rain sensor a few years back and never had an issue with it. I also had a Passat CC windscreen with rain sensor replaced by Mr Windscreen with no issues. Both places were in Limerick and both did the job in their depot rather than coming out to me which was my preference.

If it's spreading at all get it done before the trip. Sounds like a nasty one.

It's going in Wednesday morning to be done.
    It's being done by the windscreen company that the main dealer recommended and it's being done on the main dealers premises so it should be perfect when finished.

Just fitted 4 new tyres on Friday so the car should be 100% when I leave at 6am Thursday to head for Larne.
    6 days of driving & walking in the Scottish highlands ahead...

Thanks for all replies.

Advertisement