Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Lights

Options
  • 12-09-2016 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a query in relation to length of cable I will be running for lights at front of house. I will have power coming to a step down transformer which will supply 3 lights on the left (35 metres) and 3 lights on the right (50 metres). Will voltage drop be an issue for this distance, system I am looking at recommends no more than 25 metres.
    I would be grateful for any opinions.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

pete6296 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a query in relation to length of cable I will be running for lights at front of house. I will have power coming to a step down transformer which will supply 3 lights on the left (35 metres) and 3 lights on the right (50 metres). Will voltage drop be an issue for this distance, system I am looking at recommends no more than 25 metres.
    I would be grateful for any opinions.
    Thanks

Not enough information to answer fully. However:

Volt drop is a function of current & resistance.

The current is a function of the load (reduced load = reduced current = reduced volt drop).

The resistance can be reduced by either using a cable with a larger cross sectional area or by shortening the length of run.

A few points to consider:

1) The furthest fittings will experience the largest volt drop.

2) A volt drop of 6 volts will make very little difference to a 230 V lamp but it will make a substantial difference to a 12 V lamp.

3) If the loads are small enough (by using LED lamps) longer cable runs are possible smaller cables.

4) ET101 provides volt drop tables for various cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pete6296

Hi,
    Thanks very much for your reply.
    I put in Garden Lights at rear of house and all good.
    I drew a little rough diagram, would I be better to split power from house and go left and right as opposed to what is drawn.
    Reason: Ducting under Kerbing on Left and I buried Ducting on right (could dig to find it)
    Thanks,
    Peter

Advertisement