Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obselete PC ports that your PC still uses TODAY

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Notice nobody has mentioned the co-axial TV cable port. This featured on the original Raspberry Pi B. Maybe all the boardsie Raspberry Pi users have thrown their Raspberry B's out. :)
    Yes, I still have my Pi B, but I use the HDMI port for display.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Notice nobody has mentioned the co-axial TV cable port. This featured on the original Raspberry Pi B. Maybe all the boardsie Raspberry Pi users have thrown their Raspberry B's out. :)
    I've seen people use these as test card generators for old CRTs. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

5rtytry56 wrote: »

I've got a home-modded 3.5" display that I can power via USB and connect to the Pi via that composite video port (so combined with a USB power source it's a portable system, mainly used for RetroPie). However, barring console connector cables (with the addition of a composite-SCART adapter) I think it's the only time I've ever used composite video :)

As for VGA and higher resolutions - sure, it's possible. Rarely reliable, though, and over the last few years you'd be making an unwise choice to prefer VGA over every other alternative...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I was in an office today all the laptops are new ,
    windows 10 os.
    There,s a vga connector on the projector connected to a new laptop.
    I think vga is the standard input on all projectors ,
    vga is still being installed on new laptops ,tvs, an projectors .
    theres no way its obsolete .
    maybe its like usb 2 a legacy standard .
    i regard a port as obsolete when its no longer being put into new pcs or
    laptops .

VGA is optional on Intel Skylake processors. I even came across a HP server, the ML10 Gen9, which only has DisplayPort.

• Advertisement
Advertisement