Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Shredder?

Options
  • 12-09-2016 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know if the shredder on offer at Aldi at the moment is any use. Type the link below into your browser.
    I would be using it for hedge trimmings. (Incidentally, at 85 it's about 14 dearer than it should be according to the price in the UK!)

https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/66926/0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

got the lidl one a few years back (similar spec) and it was useless, struggled to shred a twig..seized up after one winter's storage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I just drive my lawnmower over the hedge clippings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I got one a few years ago. It ran for about twenty minutes and then conked out. Got a refund. A piece of junk really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I got the lidl one (no help to you op, sorry) and its been brilliant, happily chews up quite substantial branches - the only thing that upsets it is too many fresh leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

I got this one in a clearance last year (€29) and was quite impressed with it as I didn't hold high expectations. Chews through fairly decent sized branches easily. Anything too big will not fit in the chute so little or no jamming. You do have to tidy up some branches before you put it into the shredder as there is not a large opening and more than one branch can block the blades.
    It is in no way industrial but for small garden jobs I found it useful.
    I wasn't trying to rub in that I got it so cheap but worth keeping an eye out, I think it was late Nov when I picked it up last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Depends very much on the hedge. I've got one and it is fine for softer fast growing stuff like fuschia but chokes on harder stuff like pyrocantha. It also clogs on sappy foliage very quickly. So basically noisy and under powered but just about ok for small light work. I got one of the better Bosch shredders for my fathers garden which is quite large, and it is a world apart in what it can do though does need blades changed every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

bought one before, wasnt great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I bought a cheap black & decker one a few years ago. Cut down a serious amount of trees in my front garden & the shredder gobbled most of it up.... The trunks were cut up for firewood.

I'm not living in the country anymore, but I believe my dad still uses it.

Advertisement