Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor insurance and previous convictions

Options
  • 12-09-2016 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi All
    I was wondering if anybody here could throw some light on this subject?
    I have previous road traffic convictions and I am insured with AXA (I have disclosed my convictions when I first got insurance) for the last two years, my insurance is due for renewal in November. I have been paying through the nose (just under 2000 euro for 1.0 micra in first year and 2000+ euro for my second year in 1.8 diesel) insurance premium during this time
    So my question is:
    Will my convictions be always held against me? Will I ever be charged the same premiums as everybody else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

It'll depend on the offence and how many years driving insured you have completed since starting back during .

• Registered Users Posts: 13 westmeathDude

Hi cplwhisper

the offence was for no tax/insurance over ten years ago, I had moved out of the country and returned 3yrs ago... I have since been insured with AXA 3yrs (no claims) and my insurance is due for renewal in Nov. (this will be the start of my 4th year)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Hi All
    I was wondering if anybody here could throw some light on this subject?
    I have previous road traffic convictions and I am insured with AXA (I have disclosed my convictions when I first got insurance) for the last two years, my insurance is due for renewal in November. I have been paying through the nose (just under 2000 euro for 1.0 micra in first year and 2000+ euro for my second year in 1.8 diesel) insurance premium during this time
    So my question is:
    Will my convictions be always held against me? Will I ever be charged the same premiums as everybody else?

Have a good read of the below information. New legislation came into force in April of this year allowing people to not disclose "spent convictions". Presuming you were convicted in the District Court and it happen over 7 years ago this may apply to you:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/spent_convictions.html

May be no harm giving the Free Legal Advice Service a call though just to be sure

thanks Inconspicous
    a very interesting and helpful read but it didn't really answer my question which was:

will the insurance companies, including AXA - always charge me a higher premium than everybody else because I have disclosed my road traffic convictions? or will it go down to the same premium as everybody else after a period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Well,

I would have thought that you would look for insurance from a number of other companies and get quotes from them without disclosing your previous convictions? Axa will always know about it as you have already disclosed it to them, but others will not. So it would be worthwhile (as it always is) to look around the other companies

• Advertisement

I will now for sure as I wasn't aware of the link you shared.. previously I had been too honest even though i didn't need to be and I always got refused a quote or i was quoted crazy money... this time should be differnt...
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

If only single no insurance (section 56) then 3 yrs covered driving is sufficient period to have loading then removed.
    You'll have to wait until Nov to see in loading is noted on your renewal notice

Where you also conv for no tax or did u get a large fine instead..

ok excellent

yep, got fine for no tax

should be interesting if loading has been removed, if not then I will defo look elsewhere, as Inconspicious pointed out

thanks cplwhisper

Advertisement