Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will ZV numbers continue for 30 year old cars post 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

hi5 wrote: »
    The funny thing is I registered a 1965 car in 2006 and got a 500 number but someone I know registered a 1951 car 2 years later and got a 20 number (same county):confused:

Nothing funny about that. Dublin issues were 20> for anything up to 1962. 1963 onwards was 800>

If it was the same year as well as county, I'd see your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

hi5 wrote: »
    In most counties it seems to have gone from 1 to 20 to 500 and then in 2011 it went to nutty numbers:)

The funny thing is I registered a 1965 car in 2006 and got a 500 number but someone I know registered a 1951 car 2 years later and got a 20 number (same county):confused:

Right, and this is also very complicated too...but from my research on this...
    Pre 1963 year cars or thereabouts it seems most counties jumped to #20 in the 1992 jump.
    For post 1963 cars most counties appeared to have jumped to #500, although some seemed to have jumped to #800, and it seems to depend on the year, and number of cars registered already previously pre 1992.
    In 2011 it all jumped again to telephone numbers.

It's ridiculous how complicated it has become, and how many hundreds of suitable low numbers were never used because some clown in an office made a mess of it.
    Where are the IVVCC when all this was being done.

to allow for this knowing

Knowing? Ha ha ha. :D

although some seemed to have jumped to #800, and it seems to depend on the year, and number of cars registered already previously pre 1992.

In addition to general 800> for Dublin 1963 to 1984.

1985 and 1986 appear to be from 8000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

It's ridiculous how complicated it has become, and how many hundreds of suitable low numbers were never used because some clown in an office made a mess of it.
    Where are the IVVCC when all this was being done.

It gets better (worse!)?!:rolleyes:

I just had this confirmed today..

The powers-that-be have changed the rules (in November 2015 to be exact) so that now only registrations for NEW vehicles can be reserved?!!!

They have effectively 'locked-off' hundreds (thousands?) of cherished / nice / low numbers that many vehicle owners would be willing to pay for. Just one example (off the top of my head) ..say a person importing a 1990's era Porsche 911 (now, or in years to come) - they can no longer select the following unissued plates -

93-WX-911
    94-WX-911
    95-WX-911
    96-WX-911
    97-WX-911
    98-WX-911
    (such unissued plates can easily be confirmed via cartell.ie)

Baffling?! The state is effectively saying 'No' to people willing to pay for particular plates?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

You could retrospectively use/buy an unissued low number on an imported car until 2011 at least.
    02C15 is one such registration, the number was issued many years after.
    I think they stopped that at the changeover in 2011.

Advertisement