Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cubes, Beacon South Quarter, structural problems in buildings?

• 12-09-2016 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

This is a question from a friend of mine who's house hunting in Dublin:
    I'm considering buying an apartment in The Cubes, Beacon South Quarter, Sandyford. I heard from somebody who lives there, that there have structural problems discovered in The Cubes buildings, and that apartment owners will have to pay for repairs. Does anyone know more details? How much, and when? I wouldn't want to make an offer, only to discover that I'll have to pay thousands of euros extra.

Anyone know? He asked if I had ideas because back in 1999 when I was asking I was warned off an estate in Kildare that turned out to have foundation problems (can't recall if it was pyrite). So I warned him to ask around and so far this is the rumour he'd heard.

Anyone heard about this or have ideas how to find out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Don't live there or anything but maybe this thread on neighbors.ie might be of interest?

http://neighbours.ie/forums/showthread.php?79484-External-Damage-causing-Leak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,589 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ABC101 wrote: »

I had to laugh at the one resident giving out about no natural light. I don't think they can fix the orientation.

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

ted1 wrote: »
    I had to laugh at the one resident giving out about no natural light. I don't think they can fix the orientation.

Indeed, I am pretty sure these apartments have floor-to-ceiling windows along their outer walls so a lack of light is not down to how they are built.

In fairness those apartments are really for proximity to the industrial Estate, proximity to the Luas etc.   The idea being you spend 5 nights a week there and then retire at the weekend to your country pad etc.   Unless you are at the top panoramic scenery would not be high on the agenda.

I did visit the Cubes some time ago, and I did notice a feeling of higher than normal humidity.   Green mold growing on various railings / decking and so on.
    Ireland is such a high humidity location that sunlight and wind is required to reduce humidity levels.   But the structural orientation and design of all these buildings will reduce the exposure of the inner buildings to sunlight and a flowing breeze.
    On another point I think it is disgraceful that there is zero accountability for numerous things in Ireland.   Whether it be dangerous building design, corruption, or medical negligence nobody is held to account and sent to jail.   Still a very immature attitude out there with regard to accountability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Is this not what HomeBond was meant to cover? What exactly does it do if not for this?

astrofool wrote: »
    Is this not what HomeBond was meant to cover?  What exactly does it do if not for this?
    Not exactly sure, but apparently there is a time limit on making a claim.   If you do a google search on Homebond there is some IT articles, apparently getting money out of Homebond is not as easy as it seems.
    In addition there is a Irish Law Society web page also expressing concern about Homebond.   If the fine print does not exactly match up and so on.
    Another article mentioning that Homebond also refused to engage with the Pyrite issue some time back.
    So what is Homebond for ?    Good question indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

ABC101 wrote: »
    In fairness those apartments are really for proximity to the industrial Estate, proximity to the Luas etc.   The idea being you spend 5 nights a week there and then retire at the weekend to your country pad etc.   Unless you are at the top panoramic scenery would not be high on the agenda.

I did visit the Cubes some time ago, and I did notice a feeling of higher than normal humidity.   Green mold growing on various railings / decking and so on.
    Ireland is such a high humidity location that sunlight and wind is required to reduce humidity levels.   But the structural orientation and design of all these buildings will reduce the exposure of the inner buildings to sunlight and a flowing breeze.
    On another point I think it is disgraceful that there is zero accountability for numerous things in Ireland.   Whether it be dangerous building design, corruption, or medical negligence nobody is held to account and sent to jail.   Still a very immature attitude out there with regard to accountability.
    I lived in Cubes in 2010-2012. I found the construction generally okay - the full height doors didn't seal properly, and the landlord told us the company that fitted them were no longer in existence.
    The commissioning of the heating system in my apartment in particular was poor - the zone valves for space heating & hot water were mixed...easily fixed, but still an indication of issues.
    For ventilation though (I agree with your summation) - the issue was one of design - single aspect, well shielded due to the massing of 7 storey buildings close together & relatively well sealed doesn't help ventilation, particularly with such large buildings... I found myself at the weekends opening a window in a communal corridor & leaving the apartment door open for a few minutes to get some cross ventilation.
    In later phases they installed HRV...but from seeing a friend's apartment, it was evident that the poor commissioning skills from the the earlier phase I was living in carried over (and the HRV never worked)
    They seem to be a generation of throw them up, to best ability to meet contemporary building regs...

If there is problems with the external windows, the fix may be fairly easy and inexpensive.   However it is access to the windows which would be a major issue.
    A massive 7 story scaffold tower with all the associated HSE regulations, rope access and so on.   Not to mention the time taken.
    Might be better to start work from the top, i.e. one of those platforms which are lowered from the top floor for window cleaning etc to be hoisted up and down and hence allowing access to the parts of the exterior which are leaking.

Advertisement