Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Excellent.

Going to try and go again this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Assuming I get tickets again, it will be number 18 for me. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

If me and the missus want to go do we both apply and hope for the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

robinph wrote: »
    Assuming I get tickets again, it will be number 18 for me. :D

Any tips on how to get tickets?
    *edit also do us a favor and delete this thread the less people that know the better ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

judeboy101 wrote: »
    If me and the missus want to go do we both apply and hope for the best?

Make sure that your registration photo and details are still valid now.

When it comes to ticket day, get both of you sat infront of different PC's with both registration numbers and appropriate payment cards on hand and then just both keep trying to place the order at the same time for both of you. Hoping for the best is definitely required along with any lucky charms and crossed fingers that you can spare.

• Advertisement

Only genuine useful tip these days is just get as many friends as possible to join you in trying to get tickets for each other in a group of 6, assuming that is still the max groups size per booking. Last few years we've had about 3 groups of 6 trying for tickets, last year being the first time none of us got through until the resale in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Got the email today. I'm a bit nervous already. Last year id never been before so when my friend said he was trying for tickets I was like yeah watever it's only £50 for now and the flights are dirt cheap go for it. This year if I don't get tickets I'm not sure how I'll cope...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

2018 will be a break so it might be even harder to get this time around.
    Anyone ever done a campervan option?

s.welstead wrote: »

Yep.
    We rented a campervan and got the ferry over. It was brilliant and going to try do it again this/next year

Have been in a campervan the last number of years. You have further to walk each day and are a good way out from the general mayhem. It is much easier to carry all your beer supplies though.

Tickets for the campervan fields won't go on sale until April normally , and are nearly as difficult to get as the gate tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Any rough idea of rental cost? I got 1 quote back for £1200 so far which I thought was excessive.
    Also I'd imagine you'd need to book it now and pay a deposit. So there's probably a chance you'd lose that if you couldn't secure a campervan ticket

We paid 800 for a 4 berth from the Tuesday to the following Monday.
    That crowd seems to have disappeared though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yes. About half of the times I've been. 5 times I think. Didn't this year and wouldn't do it again either. Scandalously expensive nowadays.

Thankfully it wasn't an option this year as we got tickets late so got a nice tent instead and my missus was ok with it. One of the years we were a 25 minute walk from the entrance. Miles away. My advice is not to bother. Get a big tent, get there early and get a good spot, near toilets, water etc.

This year we left the tent and 6 minutes later were in the pit watching ZZ Top.

If you end up in E15, E16 or E17 (on the right of the map below), it can be a 90 minute round trip back to the van - depending where you are on site - just to top up on booze or to get changed.

2016v2.png

That is what Camelbaks were invented for, along with lockups near the entrance gates where you could deposit a bag on day one where you then top up with more cans, waterproofs etc each day to save you a trip back to the van.

That is what Camelbaks were invented for, along with lockups near the entrance gates where you could deposit a bag on day one where you then top up with more cans, waterproofs etc each day to save you a trip back to the van.

Yep. But its nice to be able to toddle back to van/tent to have a chill out/sit down during the day at some stage. Not possible if its muddy and the van is 45 minutes away.

I don't see any advantage in a van. The shower is crap and its just as easy to get a decent nights kip in a tent with earlpugs, eye masks and an airbed. And the showers at the Kidz Field are great. Had two showers a day this year. Queued for a total of 3 minutes all week.

My opinion of the greatness of tenting inside the fence is slightly clouded by some previous years events, all very much unlikely to happen these days. Tents getting nicked on the Wednesday night two years running and waking up in a tent in the middle of a "river". I'm too old for those shenanigans now, and too lazy to carry a weeks worth of stuff into the site.

The loos in the campervan field are much more pleasant as well.

My opinion of the greatness of tenting inside the fence is slightly clouded by some previous years events, all very much unlikely to happen these days. Tents getting nicked on the Wednesday night two years running and waking up in a tent in the middle of a "river". I'm too old for those shenanigans now, and too lazy to carry a weeks worth of stuff into the site.

The loos in the campervan field are much more pleasant as well.

Loos this year were perfect inside the gates.

I'm so over paying 1400 sterling for a van thats actually a burden. Having to collect it, spend an hour being shown how it works, driving the thing, getting a sh1tty spot, queuing for ages (an hour one morning last year year) to get water for it, emptying the toilet, spending hours getting out on Monday, paying for damage etc etc.

Was fine when there weren't that many vans and it was easy to get close but its a lottery now. Miss so much of the festival dicking about in the morning and evenings with van admin and getting to and from the van. Always more tired in the evenings because there no chance to have a power nap or a sit down if the van is 45 mins away. Theres enough walking to be done in the festival.

Much more convenient getting a decent spot in Michaels Mead, Hitchin Hill, Lime Kiln or Wicket Ground. Beside clean toilets, quiet and doesn't get muddy. And 5 minutes from the Pyramid field, and it doesn't cost 1400 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Myself and my boyfriend really want to get there next year. I tried with around 5 friends 6 years ago, all of us in different house trying for a couple of hours and not one of us was successful. So I'm really nervous that this will happen again. I've heard a lot depends on your internet speed. Anyone know if this is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

dmm82 wrote:
    Myself and my boyfriend really want to get there next year. I tried with around 5 friends 6 years ago, all of us in different house trying for a couple of hours and not one of us was successful. So I'm really nervous that this will happen again. I've heard a lot depends on your internet speed. Anyone know if this is true?

There are lots of myths to getting tickets including the speed etc etc but to be honest it's all down to luck and your place in the queue. You increase your chances by having everyone and even friends try and the old faithful F5. I've been unlucky getting the ticket page but still managed to attend the past 3 years.
    Perseverance and resales is the way. Also trying the coach sale doubles your chances. I've gone via coach the past 3 years. Got my first ticket in the resale.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    dmm82 wrote:

There are lots of myths to getting tickets including the speed etc etc but to be honest it's all down to luck and your place in the queue. You increase your chances by having everyone and even friends try and the old faithful F5. I've been unlucky getting the ticket page but still managed to attend the past 3 years.
    Perseverance and resales is the way. Also trying the coach sale doubles your chances. I've gone via coach the past 3 years. Got my first ticket in the resale.

Ah cool thanks for that. What way do the coach sales work. I assume you just fly over to whatever the nearest city is and get the coach from there? Have kind of tried not to think of the planning part too much yet as don't want to get my hopes up in case we don't get tickets

• Advertisement

Mince Pie wrote: »
    dmm82 wrote:

Ah cool thanks for that. What way do the coach sales work. I assume you just fly over to whatever the nearest city is and get the coach from there? Have kind of tried not to think of the planning part too much yet as don't want to get my hopes up in case we don't get tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

dmm82 wrote:

Past two years I've gone from Bristol cos you can choose your times in the mad scramble. Normally flyover day before and stay in a hotel and hit a gig in bristol on the Tuesday night. It's also a lovely city and worth having a mooch around.

Thanks a million I think that's what we'll aim to do. Fingers crossed it works out for us

If you are flying over anyway then getting the bus shouldn't be too much of a hassle as you are already limited on the amount of stuff you can carry over with you. Trying for the busses from Bristol will give you the shortest bus ride, but if you find there are only seat available on busses from other cities then that shouldn't be too much of a problem either once Ryanair fly there. Depending on the day you travel you'll probably also find cheaper flights to other cities than Bristol for that weekend.

Or just fly into Bristol and meet the coach at the festival. Coaches are great. How much stuff do people need to bring anyway?

The Nal wrote: »
    Or just fly into Bristol and meet the coach at the festival. Coaches are great. How much stuff do people need to bring anyway?

You'll need to get onto the coach at the start location in order to get your ticket for the festival as I understood the system.

The Nal wrote: »

You'll need to get onto the coach at the start location in order to get your ticket for the festival as I understood the system.

Nah you don't. They say you do but they'll give you the ticket at the festival when the coach arrives. Did it before. "Sorry flight was delayed so missed the coach".

Down side is that if its like last year and theres a delay you'll be sitting outside Gate A for hours waiting for your coach to arrive.

But I suppose thats better than a 15 hour bus journey from Aberdeen or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't know if id risk that to be honest. If I get a ticket in the coach sale and it's for somewhere miles away from glasto or somewhere that I can't easily fly to is there anything to stop me trying to get another ticket in the general sale on Sunday? Then I could just return the first one and book a flight to Bristol.

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don't know if id risk that to be honest. If I get a ticket in the coach sale and it's for somewhere miles away from glasto or somewhere that I can't easily fly to is there anything to stop me trying to get another ticket in the general sale on Sunday? Then I could just return the first one and book a flight to Bristol.

If you buy a coach ticket you can't get a ticket in the main sale. That would mean you would have two tickets which would be mental.

• Advertisement

Once your registration number is used to buy a ticket it won't work for buying any more.

Advertisement