Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Oh yeah that makes sense I guess.

Im not sure what to do so? I guess it's still worth trying for the coach sale to maximise my chances even though id rather get the ticket on it's own and just fly to Bristol again.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

If your flying to bristol anyway then is it not worth booking the coach ticket? Thats what we're going to aim for how

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

If your flying to bristol anyway then is it not worth booking the coach ticket? Thats what we're going to aim for how

Yeah obviously we'll try Bristol but I'll take whatever I can get

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Last year I booked my before and after hotel in bristol before the general sale cos it will gwt booked out quickly. Don't stay at the Mercure Bristol grand. It's **** for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Last year I booked my before and after hotel in bristol before the general sale cos it will gwt booked out quickly. Don't stay at the Mercure Bristol grand. It's **** for the price.

Yeah I stayed up in Clifton 2 years running. Bath also very nice to stay and not that much further to Bristol airport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bath is a nightmare of a place to get to and from, unless you are travelling at some strange hour you'll be stuck in traffic for ages. Lovely place to visit, but never go there if you are limited for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Ok so we've been to many gigs etc but never Glastonbury - it's on our bucket list..

We've found excellent 'nice' camping which includes both tickets (we already registered etc) - not cheap but looks lovely , great showers, even includes breakfast and as its a once off we feel worth it.

Here is my question.. 4 days at 39 (in 2017) we will be able for it??

Any posters been before? Opinions appreciated!!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

cocker5 wrote: »
    Ok so we've been to many gigs etc but never Glastonbury - it's on our bucket list..

We've found excellent 'nice' camping which includes both tickets (we already registered etc) - not cheap but looks lovely , great showers, even includes breakfast and as its a once off we feel worth it.

Here is my question.. 4 days at 39 (in 2017) we will be able for it??

Any posters been before? Opinions appreciated!!

Cheers!

You really don't need to do the fancy camping tbh. The quieter sites at Glastonbury are very civilised, and the showers and food available close to hand are decent.

As for 4 days at 39 - no bother! We went for the first time in our mid 40's and had an absolute ball. Took our time getting down by camping in The Brecon Beacons, booked into Wookey Hole the night before for handy access, and made sure to pay a visit to a good local scrumpy farm for a few complimentary pints before stocking up. It's all obviously weather dependant, but there was precisely zero hardship involved in the whole affair. Other than being pretty much crippled by very late Sunday night (missed the Correspondents in the Glade because I literally couldn't walk the 100 metres out of my way - my legs had to get back to the tent) it was all good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It is absolutely not like any other festival you have been to before or will have heard news reports about the kids going nuts and rioting at. Glastonbury is perfectly safe place, or as crazy a place as you want it to be. Took my 1 month old baby along a couple of years ago, and there will be people twice your age there all having a great time.

The only issue is that you said 4 days, that sounds like you are missing a day? It's Wednesday (or Tuesday if campervanning) - Monday. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for your replies i really appreciate it...

This is the place we are looking at : http://www.festibell.co.uk/
    It includes our tickets so we dont need to worry about getting allocation etc

For some reason i thought it was Thursday until Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

You're right. They're not cheap!
    Nice to have the peace of mind of being guaranteed a ticket though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

They seem to be located in what was the E22 campervan field, so not too long of a walk in to the site everyday. You will have to go in and out through security everytime you go back to the tent which can take a bit of time.

http://cdn.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/map16june14.png

Not all of their packages include the festival tickets, so I assume you've got the right package?

I think that camping area is next to the east campervans and pretty close to the fence. So you'll still have to negotiate the entrance gate and "Hill Of Death" (TM) each time, but it's still a good location.

robinph wrote: »
    Not all of their packages include the festival tickets, so I assume you've got the right package?

I think that camping area is next to the east campervans and pretty close to the fence. So you'll still have to negotiate the entrance gate and "Hill Of Death" (TM) each time, but it's still a good location.

Yeah we booked the the one with the tickets etc - i have the booking form etc. its beside Entrance C around 100 meters away apparently!

Our site says we don't book in until Thursday etc... Hill of death.. dont like the sound of that much - but sure its an experience... cant wait now.. although only 10 months to go :)

Yeah we booked the the one with the tickets etc - i have the booking form etc. its beside Entrance C around 100 meters away apparently!

Our site says we don't book in until Thursday etc... Hill of death.. dont like the sound of that much - but sure its an experience... cant wait now.. although only 10 months to go :)

100m is probably claiming themselves a bit closer to the gate than they really are, or more specifically than the route you'll actually take, but it is still very close.

The "Hill Of Death" is not actually that bad, I think the Worthy View route into the site is actually steeper. But back in the day before the roads were as well maintained in a muddy year after a weekend of madness trying to haul your belongings back up on the Monday morning through the mud was a major challenge. It is a great view across the site on the Tuesday evening though when the anticipation is building to be let in the next morning. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Hill of death is grand! Lovely views at the top too!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

And very few, if any deaths.

Get a pair of hiking boots and have them well broken in by the time Glastonbury comes around.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Get a pair of hiking boots and have them well broken in by the time Glastonbury comes around.

Yip first thing on my list!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Is it Winding Lake you're staying at?

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Is it Winding Lake you're staying at?

Not too sure to be honest it's gate C.. Here's their site there's a map on there and it shows where it is.. Kinda means nothing to me as I'll be a first timer!!

http://www.festibell.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Not too sure to be honest it's gate C.. Here's their site there's a map on there and it shows where it is.. Kinda means nothing to me as I'll be a first timer!!

http://www.festibell.co.uk/

Looks like that's where one of the staff campsites used to be (may very well have been for Oxfam if I'm not mistaken). Gate C is a good gate to be near, don't remember there being much of a hill to get from the site but it's not quite 100m walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Does anyone usually get the ferry over ?
    Going to try for tickets for the 1st time this year and am trying to work out the best way of traveling.

Thinking of ferry to holyhead on the tuesday, drive down to Glastonbury town ( stock up beers and supplies on the way ) 5 hours

Stay in the town that evening and then head up to the festival on Wednesday

Leave festival on monday and catch the evening ferry home.

I've booked a b&b in the town for the Tuesday( €100 )

Ferry is looking like it'll be about €180 each inc the car.

Second question

If you fly and get a coach would you be seriously limited on the amount of beer you could physically bring in with you ?

ryaner777 wrote: »
    Going to try for tickets for the 1st time this year and am trying to work out the best way of traveling.

Thinking of ferry to holyhead on the tuesday, drive down to Glastonbury town ( stock up beers and supplies on the way ) 5 hours

Second question

If you fly and get a coach would you be seriously limited on the amount of beer you could physically bring in with you ?

Ok so i'm a first timer so this may be of no use to you.

We're flying over on the Wednesday night to Bristol €180 return, renting a car, staying over night in a premier inn £60 in Glastonbury, getting supplies and driving down (like 20 mins away), really earlier on Thursday - our place only opens Thursday. We booked with a company who has already guaranteed us tickets etc.

I Have heard the queue into gate D where most of the car parks are can be pretty bad… place im staying in gate C… but hell im not 100% sure as this will be my first time!!

Will leave very early on the Monday to get flight back at 12 to Dublin.

ps have you registered already?

Ok so i'm a first timer so this may be of no use to you.

We're flying over on the Wednesday night to Bristol €180 return, renting a car, staying over night in a premier inn £60 in Glastonbury, getting supplies and driving down (like 20 mins away), really earlier on Thursday - our place only opens Thursday. We booked with a company who has already guaranteed us tickets etc.

I Have heard the queue into gate D where most of the car parks are can be pretty bad… place im staying in gate C… but hell im not 100% sure as this will be my first time!!

Will leave very early on the Monday to get flight back at 12 to Dublin.

You will get caught in traffic on the Wednesday in getting to Glastonbury town. The traffic should in theory be a bit less of an issue on the Thursday, but you will need to be getting from the west of the site over to your entrance on the east of the site. For that you'll either be stuck in the queue of traffic trying to get in the west, drive through Pilton which they may not allow you to do and then be stuck in the queue of traffic to get into the east of the site. Or you'll have to find a creative back roads route between Glastonbury and Shepton Mallet that doesn't use the A361 so that you can at least avoid the queues on the west side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Second question

yeah, we get the ferry and stay somewhere close on the Tuesday night.

the queues to get out of the carparks on Monday can be long, so try to leave early, although we've been in plenty of time for the 8pm ferry back.
    either that or stay somewhere overnight on Monday and get the ferry home on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

robinph wrote: »
    Tickets go on wsale at 9am on Sunday 9th October for next years festival:

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/20r17-tickets-on-sale-in-october/

r

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

No, plan is to register this evening. Does it affect you chances of getting tickets how and when you register ?

• Advertisement

No, plan is to register this evening. Does it affect you chances of getting tickets how and when you register ?

No.

Just remember to register.

Advertisement