Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Rather than compare the two I'm just of the opinion that Royal Blood and Radiohead are fecking brilliant for different reasons and both knocked it out of the park today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Weepsie wrote: »
    Royal Blood are not fit to lace the boots of Radiohead. They're alright, in that they're doing something slightly different but at the end of the day it's just a bit of a rock throw back.

They're loud and whatnot, but the songs themselves have liittle to nothing to them.

What followed was 2.5 hours of finely crafted songs, in which each element is carefully considered.

Meh I thought the two of them were great.
    You're being a bit dismissive of Royal Bloods songs while going over the top with your praise of Radiohead songwriting.

There's no formula to writing a song. The simplist of songs can be just as good as the most intricate.

Maybe it's my age. I'm 50. If the music is good it's good. Doesn't matter what shape or form it comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭brevity

I thought Radiohead's set was excellent and as I've said I woudn't be a massive fan, although I recognised more songs than I expected to. But from what I gather, they played a lot of their "hits".

Amazing musicians though, they jumped from guitar, to piano, to something that looked like a trackpad and then to knobs and switches and then back to guitars. That's unbelievable talent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What utter condescending tripe.

It isn't though. It's rock by numbers. Some decent riffs and good drumming, but songs themselves don't have much to them. It's like they just found some QOTSA and White Stripes and cobbled together some tribute stuff at times, but with the occasional good song.

They're good at getting a crowd going it seems however, but they are not now, nor ever will be as good as Radiohead

Black Keys are doing similar, for longer and a hell of a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

It isn't though

Yes, it really is. I've no interest in either bands to be honest, was only there because the oh is a fan of both.

Speaking as a neutral observer, based on today's performances Royal Blood were a fair bit ahead of Radiohead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42,089 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Royal Blood are not fit to lace the boots of Radiohead. They're alright, in that they're doing something slightly different but at the end of the day it's just a bit of a rock throw back.

They're loud and whatnot, but the songs themselves have liittle to nothing to them.

What followed was 2.5 hours of finely crafted songs, in which each element is carefully considered.

Yeah because RB have been going strong for well over 20 years now haven't they. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

It isn't though. It's rock by numbers. Some decent riffs and good drumming, but songs themselves don't have much to them. It's like they just found some QOTSA and White Stripes and cobbled together some tribute stuff at times, but with the occasional good song.

They're good at getting a crowd going it seems however, but they are not now, nor ever will be as good as Radiohead

Black Keys are doing similar, for longer and a hell of a lot better.

They're a twosome. They have a passion and tenacity the other bands don't have. They are raw, 1960s blues rock for the Instagram generation.

Radiohead granted have a couple of numbers that carry them and are synced in film/tv/adverts. The rest of their catalogue is the musical equivalent of the landfill at Dunsink Tiphead.

They're a twosome. They have a passion and tenacity the other bands don't have. They are raw, 1960s blues rock for the Instagram generation.

Radiohead granted have a couple of numbers that carry them and are synced in film/tv/adverts. The rest of their catalogue is the musical equivalent of the landfill at Dunsink Tiphead.

The Dunsink Tiphead must be a wonderful place so

The Dunsink Tiphead must be a wonderful place so

Bizarre trolling on your part on this thread. None of us regulars here would ever contrast RB with Radiohead. Like comparing Sigue Sigue Sputnik with Sacha Distel.

Go back to your paymaster and tell them you failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dylar

That guy from Sleaford Mods has a great job - flying around the world to press play on a laptop, have a few cans and dance around on stage.

Only downside is that he has to listen to Sleaford Mods every night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Weepsie, I can understand your concerns but you are missing the difference and change royal blood are bringing. I'm a huge Radiohead fan, seen them live several times and have already posted on another thread how good they were tonight. Royal blood are a fresh and well needed injection into today's music, it's raw and natural but most importantly they are making great rock music which given what's around is only a positive. You are comparing a catalogue of over 20 yrs (Radiohead) to a band just releasing their second album and unfairly. RB will be future headliners at Glastonbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭hullabulloo

Saw royal blood supporting gnr at slane couple weeks ago and said at the time and will say again, that only option of current rock successors. Bar qotsa who are way more established.

Bizarre trolling on your part on this thread. None of us regulars here would ever contrast RB with Radiohead. Like comparing Sigue Sigue Sputnik with Sacha Distel.

Go back to your paymaster and tell them you failed.

Hold on. So it's okay for others to say Radiohead were brutal, but RB were some sort of rock saviour. The door was opened and I stepped in.

Not trolling at all. RB are alright, decent live but the songs are merely okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

beardo81 wrote: »
    Isn't Jo Whiley gorgeous ;)

I love Jo Whiley - effortlessly cool and relaxed in a world of try-hard TV presenters.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just watched the royal blood set, I wasn't entirely sure how they would manage a massive stage and crowd but all doubts are gone now. Looking forward to seeing them in November even more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I think a lot of people are getting carried away by trying to compare likes with Royal Blood and Radiohead, at the end of the day, its based on performances.

I was watching the Royal Blood set with my mum and dad, who wouldnt exactly be, the biggest rock fans and were mightily impressed , even so far, that would like to go and see them live and their in their 60's!!!!.

Now when your're talking about Radiohead, you are mentioning a band, who by far are one of the most influential and most important bands of the last 25 years, their back catalogue is huge and trying to put that against what Royal Blood are currently doing doesnt measure up. I mean look at the various styles and changes Radiohead have gone through the last 20 years, I doubt Royal Blood or even a hell of a lot of artists could come close within an asses roar and still maintain a fanbase and consistency in this day and age, it doesnt add up.

I was at the gig on Tuesday night and when watching last nights show, in particular during the early stages, I actually posted that I thought the performance in Dublin was better, but I was proved wrong , especially in the latter part of the show , when "Nude", "Karma Police" and yes the karaoke favourite "Creep" was played, it proved that Radiohead do have it in the bag to pull off an incredible performance and they did do this last night.

As someone posted earlier, I would'nt be surprised if Royal Blood are headlining within the next 2 years at Glastonbury, but with the way music trends and bands/artists are changing rapidly , I doubt that they will be headlining in another 20 years like what Radiohead have done. Anyway looking forward to the Foos later, rock on Dave!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kev217

Best way to watch this outside of BBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dylar

Royal Blood are only a poor man's Drenge :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Dizzee Rascal was terrific, even on tv. Would love to have seen that show live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

So annoying that we are blocked out of viewing BBC overage on Website due to Irish Proxy ..grrrrrrr

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thundercat on West holt is pretty awesome. I thought Anderson paak and future islands were really good yesterday too. Really worthwhile getting the iPlayer going if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'm a fan of the band so I'm automatically biased but all I've been able to think about all day is Radiohead's performance last night. The way it built to that incredible crescendo and the emotional punch it packed.

whatever76 wrote: »
    So annoying that we are blocked out of viewing BBC overage on Website due to Irish Proxy ..grrrrrrr

If you know anyone with a Saorview/Free to Air box it's running continuously on BBC RB, RB 1, RB2 and RB3. I was up til the wee hours and am paying the price today :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

whatever76 wrote: »

this work?

https://www.twitch.tv/glastonburyfestival

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

What the hell is your man wearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Wow this is great - thanks a mill !

Woah! Liam singing Don't Look Back In Anger!! A capella

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

What's this Boy George look this Katy Perry has gone for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

FTA BBC 2 via the red button then blue button showing a choice of Craig David, Kaiser Chiefs and Elbow

Advertisement