Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

They're grand as a singles band, like you hear one on the radio, think that's good and then something else comes on. Couldn't really listen to more than a couple of songs though.

That said, This Is A Call, is an absolute belter.

I like em but yeah heaps of filler on their albums, Rock music for people not fussed about rock music in general it seems judging by comments I've seen...last true American rock band etc. Subjective of course but Clutch, Alter Bridge? N they're just 2 who happened to hit these shores in the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Everyone to their taste.I do not like Ed Sheeran,but a lot of people do,but are his talents really worthy of a headliner slot on the main stage at Glastonbury?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Let's form an internet where everyone likes the same stuff. I'm having a really nice evening here watching Glasto and discussing the show and drinking a beer. I'm not into his music but the sheer scale of these things makes nearly any act a spectacle in itself. He's actually not that bad in that his music or voice isn't offending my ears, in a way Liam Gallagher would for e.g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Think he did Thinking Out Loud and Shape of You well. I enjoyed those. The sound is just not good enough on most of the others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Its a toss up between Ed and Foos for best headliner of the weekend. Friday headliner never happened ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

ngunners wrote: »
    Birneybau wrote: »
    If I watch anymore I may head into the garage with the shotgun myself...

I can't stand Ed Sheeran so I took the decision to not watch him. I know it sounds crazy...but trust me it works.

Why didn't you also quote the post I was replying to which specifically mentioned the death of Kurt Cobain?

• Registered Users Posts: 42,089 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

What's the point of having loads of posters tell each other how great Ed is? If you don't like reading it don't bother wasting your time I say.

Maybe we can strike a happy medium? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Certainly not but what's the point in having loads of posters just complain ad nauseum about Ed? If you don't like it don't bother wasting your time I say.

But we are watching Glastonbury the festival and commenting on it in a Glastonbury thread!

People moaned about the Foos last night and Radiohead th night before. It comes with the territory of discussion of the festival and the performers.

I'm watching cause I like to watch the headline acts even if they aren't to my taste. I've had plenty of occasions where I've seen acts at Glastonbury that I don't particularly like but have watched and enjoyed. It's just not happening tonight with Ed. Doesn't mean I shouldn't watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Maybe we can strike a happy medium? :D

DEREK-ACORAH-POSTER-e1366207115642.jpg

I'd be up for it, but we'll have to find out where he lives first.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

Apologies for breaking the Glastonbury 2017 thread away from the ongoing discussion about just the Pyramid Stage headline acts but Kano. an act I had never heard of beforehand, produced it big time on the Park Stage. Amazing live energy with a perfect fusion of brass, strings and rap and something else....maybe grime.

Moderat also produced an excellent set earlier. Chic wasn't too bad either.

I was really hoping Ed Sheeran would nail it tonight, but he absolutely did not. He has an outlet but it most certainly is not headlining Glastonbury on Sunday. his sing along fans could easily have enjoyed themselves at his music at 4 o clock today and left this slot for a more suited act.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    But we are watching Glastonbury the festival and commenting on it in a Glastonbury thread!

People moaned about the Foos last night and Radiohead th night before. It comes with the territory of discussion of the festival and the performers.

I'm watching cause I like to watch the headline acts even if they aren't to my taste. I've had plenty of occasions where I've seen acts at Glastonbury that I don't particularly like but have watched and enjoyed. It's just not happening tonight with Ed. Doesn't mean I shouldn't watch.

Fair enough so but if I didn't like an artist I'd instantly switch over to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭brevity

Well, Justice were absolutely brilliant. A stonking set. The crowd loved every minute of it. Few sore jaws in the morning I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Glastonbury is mainly full of people who are just there so they can say they were there. In a months time ask 90% of the crowd who they saw, I bet they won't remember any act outside of the headliners.

Have you ever been? It is near impossible to get tickets unless you are lucky and very organised. The majority of people going from the times I have been there are music fans. There is a huge undercurrent of people who only go for the hardcore nightscene. A whole section in Glasto only gets going around 11.30 at night of which we see very little coverage but it is incredible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Glastonbury is mainly full of people who are just there so they can say they were there. In a months time ask 90% of the crowd who they saw, I bet they won't remember any act outside of the headliners.

Sorry, but that is nonsense, I first went in 2005 and can still remember most of who I saw and I'd imagine most people would be the same,

It's a great experience and in general its a much better experience than most music events I go to, complete opposite of the type of person you describe above.

Most unpretentious crowd going.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still think the best think I saw of the weekend was Lissie doing the acoustic set with the BBC this afternoon. Never heard of her before but about 20 seconds into her first song I was hooked.

DEREK-ACORAH-POSTER-e1366207115642.jpg

I'd be up for it, but we'll have to find out where he lives first.

*Applauds*

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

adox wrote: »

Fair enough so but if I didn't like an artist I'd instantly switch over to something else.

What, Poldark?

I nearly wish the coverage wasn't so good. The depression of not being there having experienced it so knowing just how amazing it is and then watching it on TV is too great.

I nearly wish the coverage wasn't so good. The depression of not being there having experienced it so knowing just how amazing it is and then watching it on TV is too great.

I have to try and get there. Would love to experience it.

Birneybau wrote: »
    What, Poldark?

Nope, never heard of it. Probably something sports related though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

brevity wrote: »
    Well, Justice were absolutely brilliant. A stonking set. The crowd loved every minute of it. Few sore jaws in the morning I'd say.

Are you at the gig or where on Tv did you see them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

BBC presenters not exactly gushing in their praise. He did well on his own and my eight year old loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

They were showing the crowd at a band last night and it honed in on some people but there was a lad behind them who could of won the Face Olympics..pulling some shapes..he'll get some slagging..

mrm wrote: »
    Are you at the gig or where on Tv did you see them?

God I wish i was at it.

It was streaming on the BBC website. I posed a link a few pages back. It's region blocked but Hola gets around that.

Still think the best think I saw of the weekend was Lissie doing the acoustic set with the BBC this afternoon. Never heard of her before but about 20 seconds into her first song I was hooked.

Didn't know she played, much check it out.

She has a lovely raspy voice but her output has been mediocre to be honest. Has the feel of a girl with that natural bluesy rasp that was gotten hold of by a major label and made "more palletable".

I have to try and get there. Would love to experience it.

I think it should be on everyones bucket list. I have been to numerous festivals and gigs but there is nothing quite like Glastonbury. If I knew it was my last weekend on earth I would want to spend it there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Wiley smashing it on the main channel. Crazy to see how grime has blown up again the last year.

Anyway it's the most enjoyable Glastonbury I've watched in many a year e cracking performances from acts that I like and (shock horror) from acts I don't particularly like.

Also some of the up and coming acts were really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Tinie wrote: »
    Wiley smashing it on the main channel. Crazy to see how grime has blown up again the last year.

I can't understand how this is popular and accepted at Glastonbury yet the decision to allow genuine stars like Jay Z and Kanye to headline was ridiculed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

adrian522 wrote: »

Sorry, but that is nonsense, I first went in 2005 and can still remember most of who I saw and I'd imagine most people would be the same,

It's a great experience and in general its a much better experience than most music events I go to, complete opposite of the type of person you describe above.

Most unpretentious crowd going.

I was there in 07 and agree..everybody goes and does their own thing...def no bull****e or rowdy drunks either..

Advertisement