Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Very true. It's not really about the headliners. Waking up on the Friday morning and hearing bands sound-checking is almost like a jolt... You realise that not only are you having a great time but now there's a huge variety of music to listen to for the next three days!! Greenfields is a world on its own. Most of the armchair boards commentators probably have never been to a gig let alone a festival...just worrying about negative equity and their next car colour.

You know that is probably one of my strongest memories of the whole thing in the years I have been. You have done a bit of relaxing, drinking, exploring etc and have settled into life in Glastonbury village. Then you wake up on the Friday morning on a hill over looking the Pyramid stage hearing the sound checks after which some lazy Friday morning fodder gets going on the stage. Wow, you just think to yourself. This is ****ing incredible that I am actually here. Buzz central.

Don't make it any worse!!! :)

Is next year definitely a fallow year? (Please say not)

Don't think so. I have had enough time away. I will be making every effort to get tickets for next year, fingers crossed.

Edit - Ahh ffs it is a fallow year. The depression is now too much, I am off to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

2020 is year to target for the 50th Anniversary !

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭tommythecat

whatever76 wrote: »
    2020 is year to target for the 50th Anniversary !

It is such an amazing festival. I've been 3 times. 2000,2002 and 2013. I jammed it with the weather all 3 times. I really can't imagine the misery on a wet year. It's really worth making the effort to go. It's a festival unlike any other!

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Pete Moss wrote:
    On stage maybe, if he's tuning by ear, but not for a guitar tech backstage. A standard Boss tuner should be on Ed's shopping list.

From watching his cords its clear he uses some variations on standard tuning. He also seems to be a half tone below concert.

Guitars can slip out of tune at the best of times. Lower tuning and his strong percussive style will increase the chances. Add in the open air and falling temperature and its a near certainty. He doesn't need a tuner to tell him and a tuner won't stop it happening.

I'm amused at the tirade against him. He is a decent player and good singer and writes interesting and distinctive songs. He can put on a solo show in front of half a million and leave a few hundred thousand young ones wetting themselves and begging for more.

I'd call that doing OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I never got the Foo Fighters popularity. Boring rock music, like aural chewing gum. It's amazing how Dave Grohl was in Nirvana and he goes to create a mediocrity juggernaut like the FF.
    I agree with this. Foo Fighters are packaged as a rock band for people who don't listen to much music. I'd say they're one of the biggest contributors to modern mainstream rock becoming so stagnant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

First Up wrote: »
    From watching his cords its clear he uses some variations on standard tuning. He also seems to be a half tone below concert.

Guitars can slip out of tune at the best of times. Lower tuning and his strong percussive style will increase the chances. Add in the open air and falling temperature and its a near certainty. He doesn't need a tuner to tell him and a tuner won't stop it happening.

I'm amused at the tirade against him. He is a decent player and good singer and writes interesting and distinctive songs. He can put on a solo show in front of half a million and leave a few hundred thousand young ones wetting themselves and begging for more.

I'd call that doing OK.

The open air and temperature didn't cause too many other performers to have out of tune instruments.

Interesting is one way to describe his songs, but it's entirely Middle of the Road at beat, bland and awful at worst.

He headlined because he's huge, however he doesn't have the presence and he certainly doesn't have the songs to headline. He did Glastonbury main stage in 2014 at 4 pm. Even then the crowd was mostly just bemused why he was there.

He couldve done a tent maybe and nailed it

Weepsie wrote:
    The open air and temperature didn't cause too many other performers to have out of tune instruments.

Were there other accoustic guitars being played at 10.30 last night?

Weepsie wrote: »

Interesting is one way to describe his songs, but it's entirely Middle of the Road at beat, bland and awful at worst.

He is what he is. I'm not comparing him to Dylan, Springsteen or Leonard Cohen but he has a large following (admittedly in a narrow demographic that isn't represented here.) His use of loopers and samplers is innovative and I admire anyone who can do a 90 minute solo gig in that sort of setting.

I'm making a professional observation, not joining his fan club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

How come there is no Glasto2018?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭tommythecat

syngindub wrote: »
    How come there is no Glasto2018?

They have a fallow year every few years to give the ground and the village a rest!

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Eavis said in an interview yesterday with the Guardian that there could be a festival next year if 'a certain band' reforms.

Any guesses who he means?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Eavis said in an interview yesterday with the Guardian that there could be a festival next year if 'a certain band' reforms.

Led Zeppelin :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭brevity

Oasis?

scudzilla wrote: »
    Led Zeppelin :eek:

Say that is the one. I remember seeing an interview with him years back in which he said that the only regrets of acts he hadn't got playing yet where The Stones and Zep. 2019 it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

could be Led Zepplin

other possiblites include The Smiths, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Talking Heads, Oasis

First Up wrote: »
    Were there other accoustic guitars being played at 10.30 last night?

Hundreds over the course of the weekend at a range of temps. The weather/temps across all evenings was about the same with Saturday having a spike in humidity levels.

I get it can happen, but to happen so much is unprofessional. It probably happend to artists we didn't see on TV, but come on. He's done a great deal of outside gigs too at night so that excuse shouldn't fly at that level.

Anyway. 2018 is also a world cup year so maybe they're sick of being asked to show it.

Reformed bands?? Led Zeppelin is a great shout. Maybe the Smiths but that's never going to happen. Maybe he could get Abba together, Links or Talking Heads back together. (Unlikely altogether)

2019 maybe the year for the Oasis reunion 25th anniversary etc, but Liam's voice will be even worse by then.

Anyone who hasn't been, it's really worth it, but take a few days off after. It's just so huge you'd never see everything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Doubt Robert Plant would be able to sing most of the Led Zeppelin songs now, it's the reason he's resisted a reunion up until now as far as I know. He seems happy doing his solo thing. Don't see The Smiths or Dire Straits as being a draw big enough to put on a Glastobury in planned fallow year.

They had been in talks to run a festival at Longleat next year but I don't think that's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Could be Pink Floyd either, Eavis tried to get Dave Gilmore at this years festival, but there was a hold up in some contract talks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just having a look over the twitter reaction to Ed Sheeran last night and i can't get my head around why people have an issue. This is a young lad with a guitar singing his own songs, this is what Glastonbury and music in general should be about. 4m viewers on BBC2 show it was a great idea to have him headline. Also, the amount of people saying he was singing to a backing track is mind boggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

Just having a look over the twitter reaction to Ed Sheeran last night and i can't get my head around why people have an issue. This is a young lad with a guitar singing his own songs, this is what Glastonbury and music in general should be about. 4m viewers on BBC2 show it was a great idea to have him headline. Also, the amount of people saying he was singing to a backing track is mind boggling.
    If he sang his own songs I probably wouldn't mind him as much but most of his stuff seems to be co-written by professional songwriters for hire (including a member of Snow Patrol) which is strange considering he's presented as a singer songwriter. The way he performs them is quite unique though (although I suspect most buskers could probably do similar stuff using loop pedals).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Reformed bands?? Led Zeppelin is a great shout. Maybe the Smiths but that's never going to happen. Maybe he could get Abba together, Links or Talking Heads back together. (Unlikely altogether)

2019 maybe the year for the Oasis reunion 25th anniversary etc, but Liam's voice will be even worse by then.

Anyone who hasn't been, it's really worth it, but take a few days off after. It's just so huge you'd never see everything

You sure you want that??!!

rs-11648-tomtom-624-1372866215.jpg

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    If he sang his own songs I probably wouldn't mind him as much but most of his stuff seems to be co-written by professional songwriters for hire (including a member of Snow Patrol) which is strange considering he's presented as a singer songwriter. The way he performs them is quite unique though (although I suspect most buskers could probably do similar stuff using loop pedals).

I think Ed is very middle of the road but as a songwriter I think you are wrong. He writes most of his own stuff. He has also written numerous songs for or in conjunction with a load of other artists all of whom have been gushing with praise for him as songwriter.

Songs you probably didn’t know were written by Ed Sheeran

I think Ed is very middle of the road but as a songwriter I think you are wrong. He writes most of his own stuff. He has also written numerous songs for or in conjunction with a load of other artists all of whom have been gushing with praise for him as songwriter.

Most of them songs listed are still co-written by other people though.

The are co written as in he collaborated with the artist to give them a song. Artists are queuing up to work with him as the guy writes hits. It is what he does. The masses love his stuff.

That's a collection of some completely bland songs. His own stuff is fairly bland too, albeit harmless (other than Galway Girl - awful, awful) and has an audience. There is worse, but he had Nile Rodgers and Barry Gibb on before him. They are 2 properly legendary songwriters. They are responsible for timeless classics. Ed Sheeran's stuff won't stand the test of time quite so well.

That's not mentioning Laura Marling, one of the finest songwriters of the last 10-15 who was on before them. Her guitar wasn't going out of tune either.

That's a collection of some completely bland songs. His own stuff is fairly bland too, albeit harmless (other than Galway Girl - awful, awful) and has an audience. There is worse, but he had Nile Rodgers and Barry Gibb on before him. They are 2 properly legendary songwriters. They are responsible for timeless classics. Ed Sheeran's stuff won't stand the test of time quite so well.

That's not mentioning Laura Marling, one of the finest songwriters of the last 10-15 who was on before them. Her guitar wasn't going out of tune either.

Oh I think it is mostly awful muck but I was just trying to make the point that he does write that awful muck himself :p

The are co written as in he collaborated with the artist to give them a song. Artists are queuing up to work with him as the guy writes hits. It is what he does. The masses love his stuff.
    I don't know maybe Ed writes the majority of his stuff (or maybe he just makes great tea) its just a bit strange he'd need guys like Johnny McDaid and Benjamin Levin to help him out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

First Up wrote:

First Up wrote:

He doesn't use alternate tuning throughout his entire set, though it did look as though he was in a drop-D tuning at one stage for one of his fast tempo numbers. I'd argue that a majority of his chords were standard tuning chord formations, particularly the hits!

It's not a massive issue, I'm sure not everyone picked up on it, just those of us who think we know more than professional guitar techs. I was just very surprised given how much of an occasion it was for the guy. Particularly in that song Bloodstream, it sounded dreadful with the loop going but, kudos, he seemed to correct it by the end. I certainly don't buy the temperature thing though, I know for certain he's played open air concerts cooler than a June night in Somerset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

PTH2009 wrote: »
    could be Led Zepplin

other possiblites include The Smiths, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Talking Heads, Oasis

Never see that one ever happening, that court case put any chance of a reunion to bed imo, especially how bitter Morrissey can be. Although you could get a Morrissey/Marr reunion. I add Pink Floyd to that list, Waters tours are big sellers on their own could see him headlining by himself.

I say Plant be the stumbling block to a Zep reunion. I say Oasis could be a good call, but I don't think Noel be wanting to deal with Liam anytime soon.

Advertisement