Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

syngindub wrote:
    How come there is no Glasto2018?

I think its moving to a new location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Just reading through the stories of people's weeks on efestivals. Feeling a lot of empathy for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

First Up wrote: »

Same location, but they need to 'rest' the land for two years every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Pete Moss wrote: »
    He doesn't use alternate tuning throughout his entire set, though it did look as though he was in a drop-D tuning at one stage for one of his fast tempo numbers. I'd argue that a majority of his chords were standard tuning chord formations, particularly the hits!

It's not a massive issue, I'm sure not everyone picked up on it, just those of us who think we know more than professional guitar techs. I was just very surprised given how much of an occasion it was for the guy. Particularly in that song Bloodstream, it sounded dreadful with the loop going but, kudos, he seemed to correct it by the end. I certainly don't buy the temperature thing though, I know for certain he's played open air concerts cooler than a June night in Somerset.

He does tune the whole thing a semi-tone below concert pitch. I didn't think he was out of tune that much. I saw him change guitars twice and at least once was for a broken string.

Live performances are prone to that sort of stuff. It hardly matters. I'm not a huge fan of his music but I thought he delivered a good set last night and the buzz was excellent. Sure, he has adoring fans who sing along but I thought he gave fair value and 90 minutes up there on your own is no joke.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You sure you want that??!!

rs-11648-tomtom-624-1372866215.jpg

As long as they could still play, most definitely, I don't give a crap what they look like. I would give serious consideration to selling my mother if they re-formed and that's the only way I could get a ticket. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Zaph wrote: »
    As long as they could still play, most definitely, I don't give a crap what they look like. I would give serious consideration to selling my mother if they re-formed and that's the only way I could get a ticket. :D

I recall reading some interview with Chris and Tina recently. They're on for reforming but DB is the one blocking it. Such a shame.

Chris and Tina still perform as The Tom Tom Club. Maybe EP could get them for us.

Edit: Just saw this. Any truth?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.her.ie/amp/music/talking-heads-rumoured-to-reform-after-25-years-apart-291064

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Something was said on BBC just before ed sheeran that it may be in another location, although it was a bit vague in how it was put.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

No, they are making permanent move couple miles down road to a bigger more secure location. It's on the cards a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

judeboy101 wrote: »
    No, they are making permanent move couple miles down road to a bigger more secure location. It's on the cards a few years.

That was on the cards but I think Michael Eavis confirmed in an interview yesterday that Glastonbury will stay at Worthy Farm for at least the next two years.
    Speaking to festival newspaper The Glastonbury Free Press, Eavis said: "We have no plans to stop doing the festival here, but we want to try something in another location away from the farm, possibly in 2021." He described the new event – tentatively called Variety Bazaar – as "the last big gamble in my life".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is it not to give the residents a year of relative peace and quiet? It can be hard to maintain goodwill and there was a risk of it not going ahead some years ago.

That said, loads of locals attend it too.

The other location was to be a different festival altogether called Variety Bazaar but it's a few years away as yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

People got very excited when that appeared last year, but there's been nothing since so I don't know how true it was. Alternatively, it happened but the old animosities re-surfaced and nothing more came of it. Somehow I can't see them ever getting back together, although people said that about the Pixies too, so you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Man, what a glorious weekend!

Brother and sister-in-law came over from Oz (not just for it) but it was something they always wanted to do. We all had the time of our lives. Campervan was a godsend.. sorry to the camping gang I met from Belfast who I complained that our CV was parked at a slant so our cold beers kept falling out of the fridge when we opened it! :)

I've always said this over the last 3 years but goddamn you meet the nicest people.. chatted to a very friendly bike-mad lad from Monaghan after The National and before Foo's.. and just met loads of great people.

Now in Cardiff for some food and a few more beers.. not too many mind..

Highlights of weekend: The National (shouted at the top of my lungs to Mr November), Foo's (Dave needs to get on with it though), Future Islands (what a frontman and great venue for them in JP) and Chic (Barry was grand.. but Niles should have done that Legends Slot.. amazing).

Non-music highlight: weather was perfick.. especially for Chic. It was glorious!

Lowlights: Other Stage sound was atrocious.. by far my favourite stage in previous years but good lord, any acts I saw there really disappointed.. maybe it was wind or something. But yeah, real shame!

Maybe Primavera next year and then (hopefully) back for 2019. Hope all the newbies enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

In bristol now. I'll do a proper write up tomorrow. Radiohead was life affirmingly good. I'm absolutely banjaxed in both body and mind, you should see the state of me sat in Bristol bus station right now :pac: but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

This is a stretch, but was anyone watching BBC coverage sat night around 10PM.
    They were with the two main presenters and had a Manchester born signer on, about 20 years old. This was one of the acoustic sessions that they have between bands i.e. not on a stage.
    I'm nearly sure his name was Tom something, really cool voice. Just wondering anyone know his name or a link to his videos?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

delaney001 wrote: »
    This is a stretch, but was anyone watching BBC coverage sat night around 10PM.
    They were with the two main presenters and had a Manchester born signer on, about 20 years old. This was one of the acoustic sessions that they have between bands i.e. not on a stage.
    I'm nearly sure his name was Tom something, really cool voice. Just wondering anyone know his name or a link to his videos?
    Cheers

Tom Walker - Blessings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXFR01b7ej8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5dhDn3R0A0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08ww634/glastonbury-2017-day-2-foo-fighters

3.14.10 if you can get the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

prodsc wrote: »

I thought it was Wilson or Watson!!!
    Thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

That was fun. I send my thanks to the Glastonbury weather God's.

As expected I spent a serious amount of time at the pyramid stage. More than all my previous Glastonburys combined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

MadYaker wrote: »
    In bristol now. I'll do a proper write up tomorrow. Radiohead was life affirmingly good. I'm absolutely banjaxed in both body and mind, you should see the state of me sat in Bristol bus station right now :pac: but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Keep an eye out for the Portishead-bound bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

S.M.B. wrote: »
    As expected I spent a serious amount of time at the pyramid stage. More than all my previous Glastonburys combined.
    Yep, same.. maybe 50% of the weekend was spent there! *

This year, after last year's debacle with the mud, made me realise it's still a huge place but it was not as daunting as being at say the entrance to Williams Green and needing to get to a gig at John Peel so you've a slightly longer wander at the back of The Other or across the rammed Pyramid stage (Craig David this year was wedged!!). But the mud hurt big time last year. It was my girlfriends first year last year and I honestly didn't think she'd go back but while music this year was probably the weakest lineup of the three (opinion.. just my opinion).. the weather and ease of getting around made up for it.

* well. bar some jaunts to JP, Other, WG, Arcadia, The Park (well, Glasto sign specifically), Stone Circle, Greenfields, SE Corner, an absolutely rammed Rob De Bank Prince Tribute at The Spike (which was amazing!) and wee wander round Silver Hayes and Sonic.

EDIT: After reading that, I want to go back.. I want to go back NOW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Weepsie wrote: »
    Is it not to give the residents a year of relative peace and quiet? It can be hard to maintain goodwill and there was a risk of it not going ahead some years ago.

That said, loads of locals attend it too.

The other location was to be a different festival altogether called Variety Bazaar but it's a few years away as yet

It's called a "fallow year" and it's done every 5/6 years to let the land recover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭tommythecat

vicwatson wrote: »
    It's called a "fallow year" and it's done every 5/6 years to let the land recover.

This has been answered numerous times already.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

So I slept for 14 hours and I feel a bit better but not much. I thought this year was even better than last year. Mostly due to the weather being pretty much perfect but also every artist I saw was great. Now I've had people say they didn't enjoy things I enjoyed and if it was after midnight my perception of what was good and what wasn't (or indeed which way was up and which way was down) might have been well off. The weather makes such a massive difference though. Not slopping through mud all the time and being able to sit or lie on the grass anywhere was lovely. There's such a more pleasant vibe around the place when it's sunny as well. That said wednesday was too hot. I like hot weather if I'm sat beside a pool with an iced drink. But a festival with no shade and the only thing you have to drink is warm cider it's adifferent story. Thursday - Monday were perfect though.

On Friday the first act I saw was a band called Black Honey in the John Peel tent. I heard only one of their songs beforehand called Cadillac but I liked it so I decided to check them out and they were great. Lead singer is a Blondie esque girl with a great voice. She was definitely a bit wasted though. Their set finished at 2pm and she said "good night everyone" before wandering off stage to have some more of whatever she was on.

After that it was Glass Animals on The Other Stage. The sun was beaming down and they play a sort electro indie pop which was perfect sunny afternoon music. The Other Stage seemed to have serious sound issues this year though and for the first half of the set the sound was crap but then it got better.

After that it was Pyrmaid for a good 7 or 8 hours for a run of Royal Blood > The xx > Radiohead. I'm guessing most of ye saw this on TV so I won't go into too much detail about the first two but they were both excellent. There was a real sense of occasion about both sets, they were both totally humbled by the crowd and quite emotional. Royal Blood have some sound in person for just a 2 piece and the crowd were lapping it up where I was anyway.

If you're not a Radiohead fan you might as well skip this paragraph because I'm a bit of Radiohead fanatic and I had been counting the days until this gig since I secured my ticket in October. I thought they were phenomenal. By the time they had come on I had worked my way into the centre and about 4 people back from the barrier at the very front so I had an excellent view. I heard some people whinging about the setlist here and elsewhere and think they are way off the mark. They played Creep, Fake Plastic Trees and all the big songs off Ok Computer that everyone knows. What more could you look for? Anyway it was best gig I've ever been too, replacing LCD Soundsystem from Glasto last year. That performace of Pyramid Song will live with me forever it was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. Exit Music was similarily spine tingling. The crowd around me were so quiet during the beginning verse that you could have heard a pin drop. Everyone around me knew the words to every song. I'm not a religious man but that run of songs Exit Music > Pyramid Song > Everything in its Right Place > Let Down was absolutely magical. There was more people crying than I expected. I may have lost my compsure slightly during the second verse of Pyramid Song but there was a guy in his 40s stood beside me who totally went to bits during the end of Fake Plastic Trees, as in full on sobbing like a baby, he had to be consoled by his wife. The end with the crowd singing along to Karma Police was lovely too. I realise now this has turned into an absolute essay and I'm only on Friday! After Radiohead I headed off to Genosys for a bit of techno by Blawan and Shed. Things went a bit bendy after that and I'm not sure where I went for about 3 hours until I eventually made it back to my tent at around 8am.

On Saturday morning it rained slightly but cleared by around 12 which was when I came back to life so that was fine really, it helped keep the dust down a bit. Saturday was a run of Jools Holland > Craig David > Run The Jewels > Katy Perry on The Pyramid. Run The Jewels were the best but they were all enjoyable. Jeremy Corbyn also made a speech before RTJ which was grand. Then it was over to The Other stage for Stormzy > Alt J, missed the first half of Stormzy so we were quite far back. He was wearing a Grenfell Tower t shirt of kept starting massive Jeremy Corbyn chants. He was good though, very energetic. Half the crowd fúcked off to see the foos after him but we stuck around for Alt J and I'm glad we did. We got right up the front and they were excellent. The tunes for the new album aren't great imo but everything else was excellent. I then popped next door to The Glade main stage for the end of Sasha and John Digiweed which was really fúcking great. world class prog house set played by two of the best in the business. After it was over to The Beat Hotel for Danial Avery who was excellent as he always is. Straight up techno from start to finish. Then back to Genosys in Block9 in the south east corner for Steffi and Virginia until 6am.

Bit of a slow start on Sunday morning due the previous 4 days / nights of giving it socks but after a few cocktails from the bars I was back on it again. I meant to go and see King Kong Company but ended up just wandering around the site until my friend convinced me to head to the John Peel because The Killers were doing an unannounced set in an hour and a half and he wanted a good spot. I've never been a massive Killers fan but it was good craic because they played all the songs that everyone knows and the singalongs were epic. After them it was Goldfrap who I enjoyed even though I don't really know them and I just hung around for London Grammar who I wanted a good spot for and were on next but Goldfrap were great I have to say. It was an old enough crowd, lots of people in their 40s and 50s but everyone was well into it. London Grammar were amazing I have to say. More loud and bassy than I was expecting and Hannah's voice is absolutely stunning live, so powerful and the new songs sounded really great. Justice were headlining the West Holts stage that night which is a bit of a trek from John Peel and I pretty much had to run but I got a good spot and they were absolutely banging. It was the loudest thing I have ever heard I think. The sound system they have on that stage is incredible, it's so so loud but so crisp and so clear. The light show was really cool too. After that I met my group who were at Ed and we went to the beat hotel for a bit of Jamie xx which was good. I've seen him a good few times and wasn't that fussed. After that everyone else was ready for bed but I wasn't so I headed off to The Temple in The Common area of the south east corner. The temple is a huge venue built in the style of an Aztec temple, I think it's around 4 or 5 thousand capacity. They handed out all these little baggies of UV glow powder to everyone in the crowd and then did a big count down and got us all to throw them all over the place and everyone was covored in multi coloured paint and glowing in the lights which looked awesome. No idea when I left that place but it was bright I remember that much.

I spent a fair amount of time away from my group but I made friends with loads of randomers. I spent a good few hours with a bunch of scottish lads in the wee hours of friday night / saturday morning who were camped near us and were good fun. One of them was dressed as a squid and was absolutely out of it everytime I saw him no matter what time of the day or night it was. It's amazing how many lovely people you meet. Had some great food too, Mexican, Indian, Pizza, Burgers of all types. I'm gutted there's no festival next year to be honest. I could do Primavera or something but it won't be near as good. Oh well, roll on 2019!

This has been answered numerous times already.

So what? I've just mentioned it again.

Did anyone see Ata Kak live? Was he as good as he sounded on TV?

So what? I've just mentioned it again.

Good man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

SteM wrote: »
    Doubt Robert Plant would be able to sing most of the Led Zeppelin songs now, it's the reason he's resisted a reunion up until now as far as I know. He seems happy doing his solo thing. Don't see The Smiths or Dire Straits as being a draw big enough to put on a Glastobury in planned fallow year.

They had been in talks to run a festival at Longleat next year but I don't think that's happening.

Judging from the interview Plant did with Brian Johnson on Sky Arts there's really very little chance that he'll do the Zep thing again.

Good man

Cheers bro, I mentioned it in answer to posters wondering about it, thought that's what the boards community was about, helping each other

Cheers bro, I mentioned it in answer to posters wondering about it, thought that's what the boards community was about, helping each other

By all means let's keep answering the same questions over and over. Great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Excellent review madyaker..... always want to go but your review just tipped me over the edge. Every bit sounds incredible

• Advertisement

Rfrip wrote: »
    Excellent review madyaker..... always want to go but your review just tipped me over the edge. Every bit sounds incredible

I'm not great with words but it's really hard to describe how good it is. I only really talked about the music above but there's so much more to it that's hard to put into words. I went to the green crafts field on Thursday and this metal worker guy helped me make a little silver bracelet for a friend of mine who has her birthday in a few weeks. It's stuff like that that makes it so unique. There seemed to be way more families with young kids as well all having the time of their lives this year which adds a really nice vibe.

Advertisement