Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2017

Options
1424344454648»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Elbow

If you want underwhelming middle of the road dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Rewatching Radiohead.
    Unreal.
    The bass player, whose name I don't even know, is the engine room behind all that madness..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

adrian522 wrote: »
    Still working my way through various recordings, just watching Flaming Lips. Just a wonderful band and a great performance but a pity they were up against Radiohead. They might have made more sense to headline somewhere on the Sunday night.

By chance we were near the front for the flaming lips and we loved it. No idea what to expect other than the hits but they were amazing. What a show. All the people around us had made a special effort to be there and the amount of hugging and smiling (not sure if that's how you spell it) was infectious. It was a beautiful 90 minutes

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Rewatching Radiohead.
    Unreal.
    The bass player, whose name I don't even know, is the engine room behind all that madness..

Going through the foo's set at the moment. Tonight will end up being one of those nights that don't finish till 7 in the morning or we'll start all over again tomorrow afternoon and it'll be 2 nights in a row drinking and playing catch up.

Does anyone know if they sell brothers cider in Ireland ? Had a pint of their toffee Apple and their coconut cider and they were both amazing. Only £4 and about 7% each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Rewatching Radiohead.
    Unreal.

Colin O'Brien

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Colin O'Brien

Colin Greenwood, older brother of Jonny Greenwood, the lead guitarist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Colin Greenwood, older brother of Jonny Greenwood, the lead guitarist.

Cousin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Uncle

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Gucci piggy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I haven't watched Radioheads set back yet.... I'm not sure if I want to in case it's not as good as I remember and I don't want anything to taint those memories. I made a special effort not to get too fúcked before they came on so I'd have clear memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Roddy23 wrote: »
    I bought this one, as I wanted the porch. 3 man is s stretch and it does allow some light in through the front porch stitching, but it was very noticeably cooler than any of my mates tents the past week and could even sleep during the day time if so wanted.

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/coleman-kentmere-3-plus-tent-p407207

We got the Coleman Mosedale 5 at Go Outdoors in Belfast. Quite impressed with the blackout bedrooms, it's not completely dark as there are couple of mesh panels but it's much darker and imo better than a normal tent esp in mornings.

Btw it's well worth a trip to Belfast as Go Outdoors and Decathlon both have huge range of tents on show, Dublin really has next to nothing in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Only 2 mentions of the Flaming Lips - it was completely epic start to finish, as said above everyone hugging each other at the end, that 90 minutes was worth the entrance fee/travelling/camping alone.

All the BBC sets are up now on torrents if you want to dl a HD hacked version that won;t expire after 30 days. I've just downloaded Lips/Royal Blood/Chic/Killers/Future Islands, converted to DVD format and all look amazing!

If you're too lazy to download you can buy most sets on DVD on the ioffer site as well

• Registered Users Posts: 19,084 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

MadYaker wrote: »
    I haven't watched Radioheads set back yet.... I'm not sure if I want to in case it's not as good as I remember and I don't want anything to taint those memories. I made a special effort not to get too fúcked before they came on so I'd have clear memories.

Thr Radiohead-based tears still haven't fully dissipated. The opening chords of Daydreaming are still sending edgeward.
    Gonna try and give a viewing of the set a go on Saturday evening with a beer in hand.

There's still good few of us who are kinda perplexed as to how a set (given how much live music/festivals we've been to in our lives) has got to us so thoroughly.

It was THAT good right?
    Chelon wrote: »
    Only 2 mentions of the Flaming Lips - it was completely epic start to finish, as said above everyone hugging each other at the end, that 90 minutes was worth the entrance fee/travelling/camping alone.

All the BBC sets are up now on torrents if you want to dl a HD hacked version that won;t expire after 30 days. I've just downloaded Lips/Royal Blood/Chic/Killers/Future Islands, converted to DVD format and all look amazing!

The problem with the Lips is that they clashed with Radiohead and likely share a substantial portion of their fanbase (the likes of me). There wasn't a hope of me and others heading to The Park Stage to catch a 15min snippet of Wayne Coyne in a ball or shooting things or fake blood...

I remember when they filled in for the White Stripes at Witnness 2003 and gave a performance of unparalleled joy the likes of which I had never seen before. It still ranks as one of the best things I have ever seen live. A wonderful wonderful gig. And they managed to replicate that a few times since when I've seen them. But their records since Embryonic (At War With... was a mess but had its moments) have left me cold and as such they're no longer rocking the pantheon of greatness they once did.

ryaner777 wrote: »
    If you're too lazy to download you can buy most sets on DVD on the ioffer site as well

That's some grade A laziness right there...

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

I looked at it all yesterday and believe me it will be as good as you remember,absolutely stunning stuff been there and equally as good looking at it again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

There's still good few of us who are kinda perplexed as to how a set (given how much live music/festivals we've been to in our lives) has got to us so thoroughly.

It was THAT good right?

Well put. I'm the same. Gig has haunted me the past two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

Im not the biggest fan but live they are brilliant..
    Looking back probably wont be the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

Finally feeling human again after an incredible week and about time I put a few words in here about our experiences.

Second time at Glastonbury, having went in 2014.

OUTBOUND JOURNEY:
    3 of us travelled in a 6 berth campervan which was absolute heaven. Packed all our gear/drink etc into the campervan Monday evening and then headed for Rosslare in the early hours to get the 8.45am Irish Ferries crossing to Pembroke.

Arrived in Pembroke shortly before 1pm and started heading for the M4 motorway (Eastbound) towards Bristol. The weather was great and we were in no rush so stopped near Cadiff for some ice-creams and coffees and then onto the M5 southbound. We stopped about 45 minutes from Pilton for a 3 course meal etc and then made the final trip into Campervan West.

We arrived just after 7pm and got space in the first field near the Pedestrian Gate and experienced absolutely no traffic delays heading in which was great. We cracked into a few cans and got to know our neighbours who ranged from a group of Newcastle lads, to a young couple with a 2 year old to a couple in their 60's so a really diverse group and all really good company.

DAY 1 - WEDNESDAY
    Walked the 2 minutes to the gate around 9.45am and only had to queue for 5 minutes to get our wristbands/programmes etc and then headed off for a day of exploring in the sunshine. The site was in fantastic condition.

We did a little bar crawl for the early morning and then headed to William's Green for the afternoon where the 90's Power Ballads were in full flow followed by The Smyths.

We then made our way towards the Park and Stone Circle for the evening where we watched the fireworks and bonfires - excellent.

Down the hill and into the Silent Disco for a couple of hours before hitting the Bimble Inn until the early hours.

Back to the campervan around 4am.

DAY 2 - THURSDAY
    The heat of Wednesday had dropped off which meant Thursday was a day for walking. We walked miles in all directions checking out the stalls, food, smaller stages, having beers in all the different bars, listening to some amazing music in the small venues and generally having a blast.

Thursday night was spent in the South East Corner. Had only experienced this area in the daylight in 2014 so this was a new experience. Had an amazing night enjoying the sights and sounds. Spent 2 hours listening to an amazing 10+ piece jazz band and then onto the Unfairground and Block 9 etc.

Left there around 3am got some amazing food and back at the campervan about 4.30am.

DAY 3- FRIDAY
    1. The Pretenders - absolutely brilliant. Cracking way to start the festival proper

2. Charli XCX - decided to stay for her to see what she was all about. Not my style of music but top marks to her for putting in a great performance and really getting the crowd going.

3. Blossoms - had seen them support the Stone Roses a few days earlier at Wembley Stadium and enjoyed them so went along again. They were very enjoyable and the crowd where we were standing were really into them.

4. Kris Kristofferson - the poor man hadn't a clue what was going on. Completely forgot verses and even had problems remembering where he was. The crowd, however, helped him along, sang as loud as they could and gave him a fantastic reception throughout. Johnny Depp appearing was a surprise bonus. (Bradley Cooper filmed scenes from his upcoming film on the stage just before Kris came on).

5. Royal Blood - massive highlight. These lads will headline in the next few years. They had the place absolutely jumping for the whole set and put in an amazing performance. Fantastic stage presence.

6. George Ezra - decided to skip the beginning of The XX for George Ezra and we weren't disappointed. He was excellent and really engaged with the audience at The Other Stage. Fantastic set list with all the hits included.

7. The XX - only caught the last 3 songs but they sounded great.

8. Radiohead - again fantastic. We are all Radiohead fans so were into the whole set. I can see why some casual fans may have been disengaged early in the set and the unusual side screen graphics were definitely not beneficial but they absolutely owed the stage Friday night. Excellent.

DAY 4 - SATURDAY
    1. Jools Holland - fantastic performance. Some excellent guests and had the crowd dancing early in the day. Get to the 3Arena in October if you can.

2. Craig David - massive crowd and a great set. All the hits were out along with a number of covers. He went down a treat with the crowd.

3. Kaiser Chiefs - you either love or hate them. I actually enjoy them live and the hits allow for a very lively crowd. Ricky is a great frontman.

4. Liam Gallagher - huge expectation and for the most part he delivered. The new material got a warm reception but as the album hasn't been released, it was never going to get the crowd hyped up. Obviously all the Oasis numbers had the place going crazy and the last song was an emotional moment.

5. Katy Perry - caught the last 2 songs and she had a massive crowd. Everyone seemed to be really enjoying themselves and ROAR as the final song had the whole field bouncing.

6. The National - first time seeing them. They had a decent crowd, however, a lot of the crowd took the opportunity to get some food and sit on the grass watching. I enjoyed the set.

7. Foo Fighters - what can you say. Absolute quality from start to finish. I'm a massive Foo's fan so I am biased but they really did knock it out of the park. The TV coverage doesn't even half reflect the atmosphere in the field.

DAY 5 - SUNDAY
    1.Deaf Havana - had heard good things so went along. Really enjoyed them. They had a Fall Out Boy sound about them.

2. Dropkick Murphy's - I wouldn't be a fan but I can't deny that they put on a great show , engaged with the crowd and got great feedback in return.

3. Rag n Bone Man - this guy will be massive. He had a huge crowd and is fantastic live.

4. Kodaline - caught the first 20 minutes of Kodaline. They had some sound issue for the first track but cleared up. They didn't pull the same crowd as 2014 but they did clash with Barry Gibb and the upcoming Killers gig. Was really enjoying them until we left to head to The Killers

5. The Killers - massive surprise/massive crowd/massive set. All the hits were out and the crowd went mental.

6. Chic - caught the last 15 minutes of Chic and they were great fun. Nile is a top man and you can't help but fall in love with the Chic show.

7. Biffy Clyro - really brought a lot of energy to the stage. The hits went down great with the crowd. Some tracks fell slightly flat at times but overall a great set.

8. Ed Sheeran - the field was absolutely rammed. We were between the sound decks and it was toe to toe. We all really enjoyed him. I understand the arguments that one man with a guitar shouldn't be closing the festival but there's no denying that he's the biggest thing music wise at the moment and therefore deserves the slot. He really did go down well with the crowd. Everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves and the singalongs were massive.

INBOUND JOURNEY
    Left the site at 7am on Monday and was parked up in Pembroke at 10.30am without any delays/traffic etc. It was a dream.

Went for a walk and some lunch before getting the 2.45pm ferry back to Rosslare.

SUMMARY
    An incredible week in an incredible place. There really is no place like Glastonbury. It's the sheer scale, variety and friendliness of the people that make it so special. We met some fantastic people over the course of the week, ate some top quality food and had a massive amount of beers/ciders/cocktails.

You could spend a week at Glastonbury and see no music by spending time in the Greenpeace field, Healing Fields, Theatre & Circus Fields, Cinemageddon, Poetry & Spoken Word Tent etc etc etc and still have the time of your life.

The wondering around the site and coming across all different venues, stalls, shops, people etc itsas much fun as anything else you can do. It's the random nature of the festival which is it's main asset.

The security and police (while professional) are not in your face and just leave everyone get on with enjoying themselves.

There's no culture of ripping people off (like Irish events) so you can bring as much food and drink as you like and never spend a penny if you so wish. We did, however, spend quiet a bit but that was down to us wanting some cold pints, eating very well and buying a few t-shirts.

The heat on Wednesday was a challenge for everyone but the festival had tractors driving around handing out iced bottles of water for free (that would never happen here). Plus the security guys at the gate to our campervan field were giving out free ice creams to everyone coming back that evening after a day in the sun!!

Glastonbury - there's nowhere like it.

Thanks for sharing this brilliant and detailed review! I've been 3 times and was devastated when my usual gang couldn't make it due to it clashing with a wedding.

Spent that weekend totally glued to the BBC footage suffering from serious FOMO. Love the Foo Fighters and Radiohead in particular, the atmosphere looked electric... and that sunshine! Still can't believe I wasn't there!!

For anyone who is into music festivals, Glastonbury is an absolute must! Words cannot begin to describe how much better an experience it is than any Irish festival. Put it on your bucket list to try at least once. It is expensive, but worth every penny, rain, hail or shine.

Roll on Glastonbury 2019!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

18-20-00_default.jpg

I found some sort of webcam archive that has loads of pics from last year. It seems you can change the date in the url to get different days?

https://panodata4.panomax.com/cams/879/2017/06/22/18-20-00_default.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

18-20-00_default.jpg

I found some sort of webcam archive that has loads of pics from last year. It seems you can change the date in the url to get different days?

https://panodata4.panomax.com/cams/879/2017/06/22/18-20-00_default.jpg
    That's the panoramic one the BBC uses as far as I know.. the timestamps are archived images.

Great find

Advertisement