Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

mid-April usually

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

We've booked our flights into bristol Wednesday morning and home Monday afternoon. Half thinking of staying in bristol on the Wednesday and heading to the festival Thursday morning. Has anyone done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Basq wrote: »
    ^ All good tips.. though 2015 had a quick shower here and there, it was nowhere as muddy as last year.
    2014 had a storm on the Friday that shut down some stages for a while.

My apologies, you are indeed correct! I meant to say 2015. For some reason I keep thinking this years festival was last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why would you do that? There's plenty of fun to be had Wednesday night too. Plus you'll have a better choice of camping spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

don't bother with disposable bbqs, bring a gas cannister one. can get them for 15quid in Halfords/Tesco and a gas cannister lasts ages. we did fry-ups each day this year and boiled some water for tea/coffee and didn't even use 2 cannisters.
    much quicker than waiting for the disposable ones to heat up, much more effective, and pretty sure they're lighter to carry too.

Great, sounds perfect I'll go with that so! Thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Kettle316 wrote: »
    Girlfriend was trying this morning and got as far as the payment page and had an error with one of the registration numbers!

She had to go back through the who thing, put in her card details but never got a booking complete page or a confirmation number! When she went back and tried to buy them again it said that tickets had already been purchased for the reg numbers!

She's terrified now she doesn't have them. Anyone ever had anything similar?? Long wait now for an email to confirm!

One of my friends got my ticket so I'm happy out :)

Crisis averted...email just arrived.

Countdown is on!!! :)

That seemed way worse than the coach sale, thousands of people couldn't even get on the holding page. Does the website normally crash completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭oo7tk

We had 6 trying and only 2 even got the page loaded luckily also got tickets..

Anyone know when we can book the Pods and Tipis etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

oo7tk wrote: »
    Anyone know when we can book the Pods and Tipis etc??
    End of month in WV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

dmm82 wrote: »
    We've booked our flights into bristol Wednesday morning and home Monday afternoon. Half thinking of staying in bristol on the Wednesday and heading to the festival Thursday morning. Has anyone done this?

Wednesday is one of the best days so its madness not to get onsite for it. Gives you time to get set up and seeing as its your first time to familiarise yourself with the layout. Its fecking HUGE!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Found it relatively easy to get tickets this year compared to last year. Had a few different groups trying and all managed to get on after about 20 minutes.

A few lessons learned from last year (based on driving):

Prepare better next year for the 10 hour queues to get in! Bring some form of entertainment to pass the time in the car/coach!

If it's anyway muddy like this year, make a few trips back to the car, don't load up the cart (if bringing one) with all of the gear with the intention of doing one trip. It just sinks straight in and you cant budge it. Many people just abandoned them on the way up to the campsite.

The English people are extremely friendly!

Bring better for food for breakfasts + a few disposable bbqs. Trust me, when you wake up to the smell of your neighbors cooking a a few rashers and sausages it can drive you mad while you have to go and queue up for not so great food. Many of the regulars seem to have this down to a fine art.

The pyramid stage, for any of the main acts if you're near the centre, don't expect easily get to the toilets and back, the amount of people you have to wade through is insane. Thousands surrounding you in every direction you look. Worth considering if you're planning on drinking a few cans in there!

I cannot wait for it!!

Edit: Just one more point. From talking to many people who have been over the years, the heavy mud is to be expected / considered normal to plan for it. It is a rare occasion where they have a dry festival. The last was 2015.

Hmmmmm......

Apart from "I cannot wait" and the English being friendly I disagree with nearly all of this.

It rained in 2015. P1ssed it down on Friday until about 5pm. Rained Sunday morning too.

The traffic last year was a once off. Never seen it like that before.

Theres no reason to make multiple trips to the car for "all the gear". Bring a tent and some clothes and a bit of booze. Thats all you need. 1 trip.

Don't waste time at your tent. For brekkie or any other reason. Theres delicious food everywhere for brekkie. Get up, go for a morning walk, see some stuff, meet some people. Yeo Valley do yoghurt pots and a sachet of granola/ for £1. And theres loads of options for bacon, eggs etc. Really good coffee too.
    dmm82 wrote: »

Change your flights. Fly into Bristol Tuesday night, stay in Glastonbury town and get up and head into the festival early Wednesday morning. If you book a taxi they'll take you in the back "taxi only" local roads and you'll fly in.

Wednesdays at Glasto are great. And you'll have limited camping options on Thursday. The place is usually full by Wednesday afternoon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Eventually got through after using the hosts file hack and sorted 11 tickets. Another 4 of the group had sorted them without playing the game properly by trying for others as well, and another couple missed out after having Irish registration and then trying to pay with UK debit and credit cards. Some people just don't listen to the instructions.

The important bit is that my Glastonbury streak continues. :D

Glad to hear it man, I wondering earlier if you were going to continue your run, since 94 or something is it?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

MadYaker wrote: »
    Glad to hear it man, I wondering earlier if you were going to continue your run, since 94 or something is it?!

Since '95.

2016 was the closest I came to missing it as I had to resort to the resale, and then fluked a campervan ticket in "secret resale" after they had all sold also.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

The Nal wrote: »
    Hmmmmm......

Apart from "I cannot wait" and the English being friendly I disagree with nearly all of this.

It rained in 2015. P1ssed it down on Friday until about 5pm. Rained Sunday morning too.

The traffic last year was a once off. Never seen it like that before.

Theres no reason to make multiple trips to the car for "all the gear". Bring a tent and some clothes and a bit of booze. Thats all you need. 1 trip.

Don't waste time at your tent. For brekkie or any other reason. Theres delicious food everywhere for brekkie. Get up, go for a morning walk, see some stuff, meet some people. Yeo Valley do yoghurt pots and a sachet of granola/ for £1. And theres loads of options for bacon, eggs etc. Really good coffee too.

Change your flights. Fly into Bristol Tuesday night, stay in Glastonbury town and get up and head into the festival early Wednesday morning. If you book a taxi they'll take you in the back "taxi only" local roads and you'll fly in.

Wednesdays at Glasto are great. And you'll have limited camping options on Thursday. The place is usually full by Wednesday afternoon.

We're flying over Wednesday morning so just gonan head straight there and get set up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

We managed to get 12 tickets this year booked by one member only on two different cards. 11 of us didn't even get on the page..1st year I'm driving over, anyone recommend getting there early on Tuesday evening or just sale through Tuesday night get there 5am Wednesday drive down to the farm? Would I likely miss the heavy traffic like last year

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Managed to get my two tickets 25 mins in, I had 10 laptops on 5 different network connections

The traffic getting into the site this year was a freak incident, not helped by them changing the campervan arrival times that morning.

Hey have to say still not as bad as the travesty of the Coldplay ticket shenanigans. Wasn't trying for myself hence not outrage but was trying for a friend and was constantly being thrown to Seatwave. At least Glastonbury is a level playing field and purely down to luck

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Managed to get my two tickets 25 mins in, I had 10 laptops on 5 different network connections

Did u break into PC world before they opened this morning ?

• Advertisement

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Hey have to say still not as bad as the travesty of the Coldplay ticket shenanigans. Wasn't trying for myself hence not outrage but was trying for a friend and was constantly being thrown to Seatwave. At least Glastonbury is a level playing field and purely down to luck

You can't really complain about the way Glasto do it. It's brutal for the people who don't get tickets and it's bloody stressful for everyone involved but it's about as fair as it can be. Easy for me to say I suppose since I got tickets easily enough.

I shudder to think of the price a Glastonbury ticket would go for second hand if touting was an option.

MadYaker wrote: »
    You can't really complain about the way Glasto do it. It's brutal for the people who don't get tickets and it's bloody stressful for everyone involved but it's about as fair as it can be. Easy for me to say I suppose since I got tickets easily enough.

I shudder to think of the price a Glastonbury ticket would go for second hand if touting was an option.

Oh you read me wrong MY, I was complaining about how ticketbastard do it and not Glasto. I said Glasto is a level playing field but has the added bonus of pics so deters touts. Its the best system around.

Yep, the Glastonbury system is fair, if stressful.

Despite not getting any in the main sale last year I still thought it was a good system. Just had to accept my lot and hope for a second chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

robinph wrote: »
    ... using the hosts file hack...

What does this entail?

Congratulations on the streak continuation!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Basq wrote: »

The host file change doesn't always work, but several years ago the primary server completely failed so nobody got through and SeeTickets couldn't work out why nothing was selling for a while. Then someone figured out what the backup server was and it's IP address and by adding a line into the host file you went directly to the second server. The efest guy got hassle for having made the fix public at the time I believe.

That wasn't the issue this year, in that tickets were selling via the main server. But getting directly onto the backup one was obviously quicker, well until everyone figured it out.

I've heard a lot of people saying they don't bother trying in the coach sale because they prefer to drive, it's a bit cheaper if you've a full car etc. Surely priority number 1 should be getting a ticket and after that you can figure out how to get there. If I didn't try in the coach sale and missed out in the general sale id go f*cking mental at myself. I think I'll be trying the coach sale every year, id take the coach from Aberdeen on a thursday evening if it was all I could get!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Sister and I got tickets this year. At the moment we're thinking of driving over, sharing the driving between us, leaving Dublin for Holyhead on the Tuesday. Anyone done the drive? Have any suggestions?

I know that the drive back will be a nightmare but my sis is not the world's best festival person and having the car with a load of spare clothes, shoes, sleeping bags etc really appeals.

Also thinking of booking Worth View - for the slightly better toilets and showers.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

We did the drive over via Holyhead. Got the 8pm ferry from Dublin and drove through the night. We were in a campervan so took a good few hours. We arrived at the site about 7/8 am I think.

We came back through Pembroke/Rosslare. Much easier drive I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Thanks Utah! Did you go for the Monday or Tuesday ferry back?

Worthy view campsite is south west of the main festival so going from Rosslare might work a lot better. Have an aunt there so can even drive down on the Monday and be well rested.

Advertisement