Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Actually came back on the Sunday night as some of our crew went straight to work on the Monday so we had it easy leaving the campsite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Cheers. I think I'll aim for the 3pm Ferry on the Monday but expect to leave Glastonbury at 6am.

Thanks a million for the advice. Hadn't even looked at the Pembroke option. The drive is so much shorter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Cheers. I think I'll aim for the 3pm Ferry on the Monday but expect to leave Glastonbury at 6am.

Thanks a million for the advice. Hadn't even looked at the Pembroke option. The drive is so much shorter!

Yeah but you still have to drive to Dublin!

The reason we went through Holyhead was because we didn't have had to leave work early on the Tuesday to get down to Rosslare (for some reason none of the others wanted to take that much time off work, weirdos, I would have gone over as early as I could!)

Utah wrote: »
    Yeah but you still have to drive to Dublin!

The reason we went through Holyhead was because we didn't have had to leave work early on the Tuesday to get down to Rosslare (for some reason none of the others wanted to take that much time off work, weirdos, I would have gone over as early as I could!)

Drive from Rosslare to Dublin not an issue - my godmother lives there so we'll definitely stay with her on the Monday evening on the way back and then see what the plan is for the way over. Breaks up the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Jesus, at 6am on Monday last year I was still in Shangri La, would you not leave it a bit later if you're taking the monday off work anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭oo7tk

Can someone give me info on Hospitality tickets please.. this is the info I got from PodPads

"If you are staying at Worthy View, then the options are as described below – this is to try and keep the costs down. If you are able to secure Hospitality Tickets, then are more options available. Hospitality tickets aren’t on sale until next year and accommodation will probably be made available early next year "

So how much do they cost and then you have to book a PodPad after you get the tickets...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 43,909 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Stayed in WV and TF over the last 2 years and never hit any traffic leaving about 11am Monday..

MadYaker wrote: »
    Jesus, at 6am on Monday last year I was still in Shangri La, would you not leave it a bit later if you're taking the monday off work anyway?

Well the next ferry is 3am on Tuesday morning. Don't see myself being up for that.

Stayed in WV and TF over the last 2 years and never hit any traffic leaving about 11am Monday.

Cheers good to know! A 10am start should be loads of time then. Being totally over zealous about the whole thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Basq wrote: »
    Stayed in WV and TF over the last 2 years and never hit any traffic leaving about 11am Monday..

Which out if the two would you recommend? I'm going to try go down this route for the first time next year. Will be arriving by bus though.

Both have plusses and minuses:

TF will bring you in at back of Pyramid Stage / Big Ground, or continue down the path to get to Williams Green. Closer to big stages. But since its technically off-site, you'll need to bring your Glasto ticket with you each day (so make sure you don't lose it) and bag-checks on way in. You're very far from SE Corner too.. so tough walk back from Shangri-La.

WV is further away (up above Strummerville / The Stone Circle) from main stages. But they've EPO (Easy Pass Out).. once you get arm-band, you don't need any ID and you've a separate line in-and-out to car park. It's nearer SE Corner but that hill can be a bastard late at night.

Thought showers and toilets were better at WV too... all things considered, am aiming for WV but bear all that in mind.. there are plusses and minuses for each.

• Advertisement

That lines up with the research I've done so far. Will probably try for a WV pod. Cheers!

Cheers good to know! A 10am start should be loads of time then. Being totally over zealous about the whole thing :pac:
    Yeah, don't take it as gospel.. I'd err on side of caution but 6am is definitely overkill.

We scheduled a stay in Cardiff on the Monday last year, as the thought of that drive to Pembroke + ferry to Rosslare + drive to Sligo the day the Monday after Glastonbury was more than a bit daunting.

But we did leave about 11am and did realise when we pulled into Cardiff that we would have made that ferry in fairly good time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Getting out of the general parking areas or campervan fields on the Monday could take anything from so quick that you'll wonder what all the fuss was about right up to several hours before you even make it as far as getting onto a tarmac road. It's generally pretty good these days, but always expect the unexpected.

A couple of years ago, can't remember when, we were stuck in the queue to get out of campervan east for four hours and only moved about a 500m into the next field. Wasn't even that bad weather that year, but think a van had broken down in the road that was the only way out so we were all stuck, cars and vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

if you're staying at WV, there'll be no queues out of the carpark, so you can wake up at a reasonable hour, and get out and onto the road pretty easily.
    the 8pm ferry from Holyhead is the one we've gone for. left around 11am last year and even with a few stops at motorway services, we were in Holyhead in loads of time. back in Dublin by midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I've heard a lot of people saying they don't bother trying in the coach sale because they prefer to drive, it's a bit cheaper if you've a full car etc. Surely priority number 1 should be getting a ticket and after that you can figure out how to get there. If I didn't try in the coach sale and missed out in the general sale id go f*cking mental at myself. I think I'll be trying the coach sale every year, id take the coach from Aberdeen on a thursday evening if it was all I could get!

Yep. I really don't get the obsession with driving over. Tent, small bag with clothes and some booze. What more do you need? A car? For what?!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

The Nal wrote: »
    Yep. I really don't get the obsession with driving over. Tent, small bag with clothes and some booze. What more do you need? A car? For what?!

cigs-and-alcohol-22-aug-752x501.jpg
    That's why

cigs-and-alcohol-22-aug-752x501.jpg
    That's why
    Yep, we were bringing booze for 4 people for 4 days last year. We've a 94L cooler box (or "the hearse" as we affectionately call it) for drink and smaller box for breakfasts, smoothies (perfect for hangovers) and various other bits. Can't imagine going without it!

http://www.thepopuphotel.com/rooms-accommodation

Anyone ever stayed with these?? I see it's off site but for 4 people sharing it's not too bad, 8 of us traveling over and would be handy to have all the bed linen and all set up when we get there..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Does worthy view camping sell out fast?

Those prices seem hefty to me given that most tents are designed for 2 adults with the option of squeezing in an extra 2 for £600.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

oo7tk wrote: »
    http://www.thepopuphotel.com/rooms-accommodation

Anyone ever stayed with these?? I see it's off site but for 4 people sharing it's not too bad, 8 of us traveling over and would be handy to have all the bed linen and all set up when we get there..

Thanks

Nearly 2 grand for a basic bell tent with airbeds. They can go and fecking ****e for that money. Besides as far as I'm aware its a good bit outside the fence.
    Dont see the point but each to their own. I certainly could never justify that cost with staying so far from the action.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Nearly 2 grand for a basic bell tent with airbeds. They can go and fecking ****e for that money. Besides as far as I'm aware its a good bit outside the fence.
    Dont see the point but each to their own. I certainly could never justify that cost with staying so far from the action.

£600 a man for 5 nights to me is not too bad, I'm flying to Bristol so not going bringing over sleeping bags etc it's just hassle... Private showers and plug socket in them also..

It's a 15 minute flat walk into the venue, so they say an easier walk that Worthy View..

£600 a man for 5 nights to me is not too bad, I'm flying to Bristol so not going bringing over sleeping bags etc it's just hassle... Private showers and plug socket in them also..

It's a 15 minute flat walk into the venue, so they say an easier walk that Worthy View..

Yes but thats only to the gates to get you into the festival and not factoring the other half hour or so walk past the camp sites into the main area.
    WV is right on the edge up a hill.
    Just checked on efests and a local reckons its closer to a half hour walk to the gate and reviews of the showers etc aren't all that.

Map http://www.wbc-team.co.uk/2014v1.jpg

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Yes but thats only to the gates to get you into the festival and not factoring the other half hour or so walk past the camp sites into the main area.
    WV is right on the edge up a hill.

Yea the walk won't bother me at all as I'll be only doing it twice a day and knowing I'll be going back to somewhere comfy and dry makes it worth while.. I usually take a campervan to festivals for he last few years and it's just not a runner to Glasto for us this time so looking for something as good as and this is best I have seen so far..

Yea I was wondering why on their sit they said they had upgraded the showers this year, makes so sense now...

Where do you camp??

15 mins to which venue? Glasto is the size of a medium town. I think yer mental throwing away this kind of money just so you don't have to bring a sleeping bag and a tent. When my rucksack is loaded up with everything I need for the 5 days minus drink it weighs about 17kg. I'll be getting a slab of cans and a bottle of vodka in Bristol on top of that which will keep me going until Friday morning when I'll make the short trip to Glastonbury town to get more booze.

Yea the walk won't bother me at all as I'll be only doing it twice a day and knowing I'll be going back to somewhere comfy and dry makes it worth while.. I usually take a campervan to festivals for he last few years and it's just not a runner to Glasto for us this time so looking for something as good as and this is best I have seen so far..

Yea I was wondering why on their sit they said they had upgraded the showers this year, makes so sense now...

Where do you camp??

I camp in Dairy and have flown and got the coach the past few years. It just takes a bit of planning but if you want somewhere quiet you can camp at Darble or Pylon. Charger is moot as well cos I just use an Anker and charges two phones for the duration of the festival.
    Not having a go or owt but it just seems like mental money for the sake of a pre erected tent outside the festival. You could check in your bag with all you need and be quids in.

15 mins to which venue? Glasto is the size of a medium town. I think yer mental throwing away this kind of money just so you don't have to bring a sleeping bag and a tent. When my rucksack is loaded up with everything I need for the 5 days minus drink it weighs about 17kg. I'll be getting a slab of cans and a bottle of vodka in Bristol on top of that which will keep me going until Friday morning when I'll make the short trip to Glastonbury town to get more booze.

i have been doing festivals for over 16 years and my time in tents is done I'm afraid so looking for something a little more comfortable.. I'll defo be doing some sort of glamping that's totally set up for me when I get there..

Worthy view is probably your best option so.

Worthy view is probably your best option so.

Yea the PodPads on WV also need you to bring your own sleeping bags etc as I was mailing them today... was hoping they would have something fully kitted out but unfortunitly not..

If anyone knows of any that at WV that come fully furnished let me know or anywhere like this on the site..

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Advertisement