Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for waterproof and breathable jacket

Options
  • 12-09-2016 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Could anyone recommend a good waterproof and breathable jacket for use over winter? I have a Gabba, which is great, but it certainly doesn’t keep you dry in ‘proper’ rain. Was thinking of using a jacket on top of the Gabba, but finding something which is suitably breathable with a decent fit it’s proving difficult. I’ve come across the Sportful Survival Gore-tex jacket, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Any recommendations / reviews would be gladly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have an older version of this:

http://en.bicycle-line.com/catalogo/winter-cycling-clothing/man/winter-jackets-and-jerseys/winter-jacket-nordica-blue-2-12.html

I find it just right for Irish winters. In really heavy rain, you will get wet, but i find as long as I'm moving, i don't get cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 alanjgalbraith

If intending to wear over a Gabba, the actual packing size may be something you also may need to consider .. I have a Madison Men's Road Race Apex, which ticks all the boxes ... except a little large when packed ... (a large jacket can't fit in a Shimano Pro Storage bottle 750cc!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

If intending to wear over a Gabba, the actual packing size may be something you also may need to consider ..
    That was the intention / is an option, however, I'm quite happy to find a decent warm jacket instead (as long as it is waterproof & breathable) and pair it with baselayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭G1032

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

It depends on exactly how waterproof you want/need it to be. I've yet to find a cycling specific jacket that performs as well as more generic waterprood shells (for hiking / trail running). But most cyclist don't need such a high standard of waterproodfing given the duration and exersion of most cycles. I wouldn't recommend my most waterproof jacket for road cycle racing, but it's fine for commuting (different requirements).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Gore one - the new one with slightly glossy surface. Wiggle or goreapparel.eu. Tiny, light, expensive, should be fully waterproof, given that it's a goretex jacket, is pretty breathable (so far, haven't had it in heavy rain yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

Depends on what type of riding your doing, I've always seen it as 2 types of Jacket..... for lower intensity: more waterproof less breathable......high intensity: more breathable less waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I've got a Rapha Softshell that I picked up on sale last January, I love it.
    a) It looks great
    b) It's pretty waterproof
    c) It's very breathable and has underarm zips for extra ventilation.
    d) It's warm as hell.

I used it from the beginning of January through to the end of April, it doesn't keep you totally dry in an out and out soaking, but it does keep you warm which is the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

I have a Polaris Hexon, has never let me down, its definitely a "wear over". Would not keep you warm on its own.
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/jackets/polaris-hexon-waterproof

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have a castelli pocket liner and it's waterproof and fully breathable (as in full gas cycling)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Galibier Mistral if it's going to be cold (but forget about rolling it up for storage) and a seven year old Altura Pocket Rocket rain jacket that still works fine. It's quite compact, highly waterproof and I rarely go out without it. Altura seem to have discontinued it but there are still some places online with limited stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

I have Gore Bike Wear Oxygen 2.0. Kept me dry even in heavy downpour.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Have just read reviews on all of the above jackets, and looks like I'm leaning towards the Gore one as it seems to tick every box.
    Does anyone have any thoughts / experience with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think breathable waterproof shells are pointless.

When it's raining they're not breathable. When it's not raining you take them off.

I'd just get one that packs down really small and keeps the rain off. It needs to be small enough that it's not annoying to have stuffed in a jersey pocket.

Breathable waterproof membranes add bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Gore have a couple of Jackets that are just the breathable membrane as in they have no outer layer bonded to it so they can't wet out and are pretty light

at circa 300 bucks though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

I used to have a gore rain jacket and shorts and windstopper jacket. Cant fault. Will be getting their new model gore "one gore-tex active" plus a windstopper. That new rain jacket doesnt need any special washing liquids to keep it waterproof after washing apparently. I used them over many seasons so it was money well spent and the lasted for years. Expensive but a good investment.

Gore have a couple of Jackets that are just the breathable membrane as in they have no outer layer bonded to it so they can't wet out and are pretty light

at circa 300 bucks though

yup - the Gore One I mentioned earlier.

Welshkev wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Have just read reviews on all of the above jackets, and looks like I'm leaning towards the Gore one as it seems to tick every box.
    Does anyone have any thoughts / experience with it?

it's smaller and lighter than you expect 8-)

It's very black - not high-viz at all at all.

It's relatively breathable.

I've not worn it in heavy rain yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

Lumen wrote: »
    I'd just get one that packs down really small and keeps the rain off. It needs to be small enough that it's not annoying to have stuffed in a jersey pocket.

Endura FS 260 Pro Adrenaline race cape. Great value for money especially when you consider the waterproof/breathability numbers.

I wore mine all thru last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Sorry to hi jack the thread, I too am looking for a warm waterproof jacket for my commute, 30-35 mins each way.

Nothing too expensive though (<€100), just something to keep me relatively dry and that will dry out in time for commute home.

Thanks

frAg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I started a similar thread and although it wasn't cycling specific, this was recommended by someone who uses it for all sorts including cycling.. Pricey though :o

http://www.columbia.com/mens-outdry-ex-diamond-shell-jacket-1673931.html

This was my thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057616410

I'm half tempted to invest if I knew it was going to be proper dry and proper waterproof and at the same time completely breathable and not a sweat haven.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

frag420 wrote: »
    Sorry to hi jack the thread, I too am looking for a warm waterproof jacket for my commute, 30-35 mins each way.

Nothing too expensive though (< 100), just something to keep me relatively dry and that will dry out in time for commute home.

Thanks

frAg
    Altura Night Vision works well for me - UK online shops seem to be generally cheaper than Irish shops unfortunately

Have taken the plunge on the Gore One - seemed to tick all the boxes so will report back how I find it.
    Thanks for all the recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Did you look at the one I linked to? It looks like a fantastic jacket, but the price is putting me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

cormie wrote: »
    Did you look at the one I linked to? It looks like a fantastic jacket, but the price is putting me off.

That's the highest end one... this one has the same waterproof material, but without some of the high end features (mainly the wicking layer).

(As usual, I'll point out that Columbia are one of my gear sponsors).

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Altura Night Vision works well for me - UK online shops seem to be generally cheaper than Irish shops unfortunately

Anyone know anywhere I can get one of these jackets online at a decent price? Everywhere seems to be out of stock or really expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

zefer wrote: »
    Anyone know anywhere I can get one of these jackets online at a decent price? Everywhere seems to be out of stock or really expensive

Theres one for sale in the adverts section, size L I think

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

I know from playing golf nothing beats Gore tex, it's pricey at around €200 for a jacket but well worth the money.

One question do people find it breathable?

Enduro wrote: »
    That's the highest end one... this one has the same waterproof material, but without some of the high end features (mainly the wicking layer).

(As usual, I'll point out that Columbia are one of my gear sponsors).

The Columbia ones appear to be pretty solid - much heavier fabric than the Gore One - almost like an old-fashioned oilskin in appearance. I'd not wear the Gore under a rucksack for any length of time, while the Columbia looks like it'd take a lot of abuse...but not fit in a jersey pocket! 53 Degrees have the Columbia stuff at pretty much the same price as the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

Question for experienced winter / foul weather cyclists: is a jacket with or without a hood better?
    Seems that without a hood any heavy rain will always run down your neck. But how does a hood up under the helmet affect the cycle / aerodynamics? And does it get hot and sweaty under there? Is a skull cap or face mask better for cold and wet days?

Advertisement