Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for waterproof and breathable jacket

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've found the worse part about cycling with a hood up is when you try to move your head to look behind you, the hood doesn't move with your head and you can't really see as the hood blocks the view. Maybe it just needs to be tighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Waterproof, breathable jacket? I recommend... skin. Plain aul skin. Comes in a variety of colours depending on your ethnicity and best of all is 100% breathable, 100% waterproof and 100% natural but poor insulation qualities so generally not recommended worn in lower temperatures. Can we washed at various temperatures although doesn’t react well to extremes of hot or cold. Various cleansers can be use and recommended regularly. Is self reparable, within reason and provided it wearer takes reasonable care following damage. Can be prone to hairing but as a dedicated cyclist can depilated regularly. Men and womens versions available but generally not interchangeable. Guaranteed for life although unavoidable natural aging occurs at cellular level. Can we worn anywhere and particularly prevalent on beaches. How much I hear you say? That's the best bit, it's free. :pac:

(did someone say it was Friday?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

zefer wrote: »
    Anyone know anywhere I can get one of these jackets online at a decent price? Everywhere seems to be out of stock or really expensive

Wiggle was the best price I could find when I shopped around last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

got me all through last winter and same again this year I reckon. you will need to wear a compression top underneath

waterproof to a degree. I had no issues with any showers/rain experienced on my commute last year

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ie/altura-transformer-windproof-long-sleeve-jersey-EV186356

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Liam28 wrote: »
    Question for experienced winter / foul weather cyclists: is a jacket with or without a hood better?
    Seems that without a hood any heavy rain will always run down your neck. But how does a hood up under the helmet affect the cycle / aerodynamics? And does it get hot and sweaty under there? Is a skull cap or face mask better for cold and wet days?

I just use a skull cap under my helmet, and when it gets proper cold I have a neck warmer come lower face yoke from Mavic.

Then I just use my Galibier Mistral with a base layer.

I think Galibier said it best with the following...

"The garment is designed to be neat fitting and only requires a thin base layer next to the skin. These are new generation fabrics, so we need to reconsider how we dress for conditions. This requires no extra layering in wind or rain."

I think that applies to a lot of the new stuff.

As for the Mistral, I don't use it as a jacket par se, the way I would carry a small packable jacket during the summer. I just wear the Mistral over a base layer. It's my Winter/Foul weather "Jersey"

It does a cracking job too, and you just need to flute between base layers depending on the temperature.

Still not "foul" enough at the moment for it though.

Nothing bar a wetsuit will keep you dry during torrential rain, but the trick seems to be that the garment should keep you from getting "uncomfortable" or cold.

I'm basing the above of the 2015 Mistral by the way, don't know what the newer version is like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

I have a new Mistral on the way, so can provide an update once we get a bit of suitable weather for it

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

Putting something over a Gaabba is not a good idea as it that fabric needs to be exposed to the air to work effectively. Agreed, that Gabba is best for showery days or mist, not all-day-full-on rain.

Castelli Pocket liner is very good but the velcro fastenings are a design disaster as they tear strips off the eVent fabric at every opportunity. I have one, it's useful, the zipped air vents are handy, but it's not pocketable. Best worn over jersey and arm warmers or a light wind shell.

Castelli Tempesta looks good as it does not have the flaws of the Pocket Liner, but is very pricey and might not be pocketable. It does have pockets though. An all-day jacket maybe.

The Castelli Pave is very good (I have one), just watch for the price going up and down, I got mine for about €180. It's pocketable (just about).

The new kid on the block is the Castlli Idro. Said to be made from a wonder fabric. Fills half a pocket, Costs €280 Sold out already, but maybe wait for long term reviews on the durability of the fabric as it comes with warnings about not wearing backpacks and not using it in MTB,

Wiggle's DHB brand has a reasonable looking eVent fabric jacket. Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Veloce150 wrote: »
    The new kid on the block is the Castlli Idro. Said to be made from a wonder fabric. Fills half a pocket, Costs €280 Sold out already, but maybe wait for long term reviews on the durability of the fabric as it comes with warnings about not wearing backpacks and not using it in MTB,
    The Gore One Active uses the same tech.

They're essentially a membrane jacket without the outer shell - that's why they're more delicate.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/reviews/is-gores-one-active-the-best-waterproof-jacket-ever
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/clothing/jackets/product/gore-one-gore-tex-active-bike-jacket-review-50630/

€295 from Wiggle.

http://www.wiggle.com/gore-bike-wear-one-gore-tex-active-jacket/

I have a few jacket options (old Gore thing, Gabba, club winter jacket, packable shower cape). They're all fine. I'd be bothered by the wet arse and soggy feet before I noticed any issues with jackets, and am thinking of getting some water repellent bibs for this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

They're all fine. I'd be bothered by the wet arse and soggy feet before I noticed any issues with jackets, and am thinking of getting some water repellent bibs for this winter.
    Full mudguards, long tail jacket + Castelli NanoFlex bottoms will cure the wet arse.

I tried Sidi Hydro Goretex boots - waterproof yes but not watertight - so the water seeps in at the cuffs and you end up with a pool of water sloshing around inside your waterproof boot.

Sealskin waterproof socks plus Altura waterproof overshoees over normal road shoes work very well as even if water gets in, it can escape through the shoe's vents.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Veloce150 wrote: »
    Full mudguards, long tail jacket + Castelli NanoFlex bottoms will cure the wet arse.

I tried Sidi Hydro Goretex boots - waterproof yes but not watertight - so the water seeps in at the cuffs and you end up with a pool of water sloshing around inside your waterproof boot.

Sealskin waterproof socks plus Altura waterproof overshoees over normal road shoes work very well as even if water gets in, it can escape through the shoe's vents.
    I think I've tried all of those at one time or another. I found Sealskinz uncomfortable.

The bike on which I am most comfortable does not easily take mudguards. I have some Castelli leg warmers but they don't cover the arse. I might try an arse-saver and some water-resistant bib shorts.

I think damp feet are tolerable/inevitable. There is no perfect solution for that. Even if winter boots could be combined with water resistant tights/leg warmers, I still find regular road shoes much more comfortable than all of the boots I've tried so last winter I settled on decent stretchy overshoes (Shimano H20 or some such). Neoprene ones are just too fugly to contemplate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

strmin wrote: »
    I have Gore Bike Wear Oxygen 2.0. Kept me dry even in heavy downpour.

+1 same here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Lumen wrote: »
    The Gore One Active uses the same tech.

They're essentially a membrane jacket without the outer shell - that's why they're more delicate.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/reviews/is-gores-one-active-the-best-waterproof-jacket-ever
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/clothing/jackets/product/gore-one-gore-tex-active-bike-jacket-review-50630/

€295 from Wiggle.

http://www.wiggle.com/gore-bike-wear-one-gore-tex-active-jacket/

I have a few jacket options (old Gore thing, Gabba, club winter jacket, packable shower cape). They're all fine. I'd be bothered by the wet arse and soggy feet before I noticed any issues with jackets, and am thinking of getting some water repellent bibs for this winter.

The Gore One can be had from goreapparrel.eu, who do have stock - wiggle are the only other shop i've seen selling them, but they haven't any stock.

Castelli were the first non-gore company to get access to the new fabric, IIRC.

At that price, would you not be better off spending a few quid more for the Columbia outerdry jacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

That's certainly an option. But as I understand it, the Outdry is not as light/thin/jersey-pocketable as the Gore.

I guess that durability and weight/pack size are two ends of an option spectrum.

I was most impressed by the writeup that Enduro gave of the Outdry prototype he wore on the Spine race; if I wanted a heavy-duty waterproof for (say) winter hillwalking, that'd be high on my list... but I have to wear out my old GoreTex first 8-)

Was a little disappointed to read what is upvoted as the most helpful review on the outdry here: http://www.columbia.com/mens-outdry-ex-diamond-shell-jacket-1673931.html

Has made me think twice about splashing out to keep the splashing out :o

I'd be looking for something reasonably light too and just cosy it up with some layers underneath, the outdry doesn't seem too heavy but definitely not something you could just roll up in your fist, but I'm not sure if there's anything out there that you can scrunch in your fist and offer similar waterproofing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

not seen it mentioned so will throw it in. i picked one of these up about 18 months ago and it's been superb, excellent mixture of waterproofing while still breathing. easily fits in a back pocket and folds out quickly

http://www.wiggle.com/sportful-hot-pack-norain-jacket/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

brownian wrote: »
    The Columbia ones appear to be pretty solid - much heavier fabric than the Gore One - almost like an old-fashioned oilskin in appearance. I'd not wear the Gore under a rucksack for any length of time, while the Columbia looks like it'd take a lot of abuse...but not fit in a jersey pocket! 53 Degrees have the Columbia stuff at pretty much the same price as the link.

Yeah, it's not a roll-up into a jersey pocket type of jacket. That oilskin look had me very skeptical of it originally too!

On Durability... I've been wearing my first one as my cycle commuting jacket for over a year now, and been pretty abusive to it. I wear a 50L rucksack commuting, so that certainly adds to the abuse. So far it has no damage whatsover. The only damage I've gotten with any of my outdry jackets has been a ripping a drawcord end away from a hood. That wasn't a production model though, so that might well be more durable now.

Usual disclaimer... I'm sponsored by Columbia so get these things given to me to race with.

brownian wrote: »
    That's certainly an option. But as I understand it, the Outdry is not as light/thin/jersey-pocketable as the Gore.

I guess that durability and weight/pack size are two ends of an option spectrum.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. You can buy a ferrari or a tractor... they're both motor vehicles but it would be kinda hard to combine their best features into one!

Roll-up type jackets will by neccessisity of current technology be a lot thiner and less durable (and generally less waterproof at the similar price points).

cormie wrote: »
    Was a little disappointed to read what is upvoted as the most helpful review on the outdry here: http://www.columbia.com/mens-outdry-ex-diamond-shell-jacket-1673931.html

Has made me think twice about splashing out to keep the splashing out :o

I'd be looking for something reasonably light too and just cosy it up with some layers underneath, the outdry doesn't seem too heavy but definitely not something you could just roll up in your fist, but I'm not sure if there's anything out there that you can scrunch in your fist and offer similar waterproofing?

I had the plastic silver T come off my first jacket too. Personally I didn't give a crap.. its just branding. It's printed on to the latest models. Haven't come accross any zipper issues myself.

As stated above, you're going to have to figure out what your priorities are, because you simply won't currently get one jacket that is supremely waterproof, scrunches up small, is extremely durable, and reasonably priced.

Thanks again for the info. So I have to ask, you mention your first one etc, how many have you had (or do you own?) and is your reason for getting new ones because the old ones have worn down and deteriorated, or Columbia are spoiling you? :) Any for sale? :D

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks again for the info. So I have to ask, you mention your first one etc, how many have you had (or do you own?) and is your reason for getting new ones because the old ones have worn down and deteriorated, or Columbia are spoiling you? :) Any for sale? :D

Oh it's definitely being spoiled!

1st: "The yellow one". To try out the new tech. Still in full use as my cycling commuter jacket and taking lots of punishment.
    2nd: "The white one". Wanted a second one so I could alternate in longer races. Loved the white colour so grabbed one when the opportunity arose. Still in full use as my main running training jacket.
    3rd: "The grey one". The first one I picked up with wicking lining (The top end model). Designated as #1 race jacket. First used on TDG race, then used non-stop all the way through the spine race. Still have it for racing.
    4th: "the blue one"... Was meant to get a batch of 4 for my adventure racing team, so we all looked the same. Order got fubared and only one jacket arrived. Happened to be in my size so that's now my Normal non-sports keep it clean jacket
    5th: "The 2nd grey one". lower end model, but same as the rest of my team. used as alternate race jacket.
    6th: "the red one". Sent to me before the UTMB to try out. New Columbia/Montrail branded. Has wicking lining, but cuts down excessive features (such as pit-zips) to be as light and simple as possible for trail running/racing. Best one yet. Designated now as #1 race jacket. Only worn once for testing on a wet training run (all good!) so far, but will be taking some big punishment this winter. Seems a bit more "foldy" than prior models.

Jeeze... never throught about it before. Yeah... definitely spoiled.

Yeah that's spoiled alright!!

So you've used them a lot for exercising in and you haven't found them sticky and they get too warm etc?

I was thinking the blue one for myself, I'd usually go for dark colours like a charcoal or dark grey but nothing like that in the range it seems so the blue is probably my next choice.

Considering Ill be using it as a general all rounder for walking, cycling, maybe a bit of jogging etc but probably nothing like competitions or races, which would you recommend as a once off investment for life? If I knew it would last and knew it would suit all the above, I could be swayed for the top end model. Maybe the arm pit zips etc would be handy but not sure necessary?

Advertisement