Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB rechargeable lights

Options
  • 12-09-2016 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a front and rear (USB)rechargeable light?

I cycle to work daily through a mix of residential streets and busy roads. I need some decent lights for winter and it would be great to be able to charge them in the office during the day.

i dont want to spend huge money - maybe 35e per light?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Parchment wrote: »

I cycle to work daily through a mix of residential streets and busy roads. I need some decent lights for winter and it would be great to be able to charge them in the office during the day.

http://m.zavvi.com/cycling-accessories-nc/bell-radian-850-rechargeable-led-bike-light-set/11136860.html

These are good for the price. Negative being you need to use a key to get them off as there is no quick release...at least they won't be robbed though. I use them for commuting and only charge them every few weeks or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I got some super-bright ones in Aldi last year, if you want to keep an eye out for these. A tenner each, front and rear iirc. I probably need to charge them once a week in winter time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have a set of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-zecto-drive-y9-pair-light-set-2016/rp-prod138858 and am happy with the set up. Very strong lights, but won't illuminate the road in front of you, (very) suitable for being seen only. Comes with just the one USB cable, so you can only charge one at a time.

Can be had for less money if you look around (I bought them for thirty something in a sale there a few weeks ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Comes with just the one USB cable, so you can only charge one at a time.
    Any micro USB cable will work to charge these, the cable comes as standard now with all decent mobile phones and lots of other hardware.

You can charge them either connected to a computer or using a standard plug charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Parchment wrote: »

Have a look at cycling adverts. I have a set of Lezyne Zecto lights for sale, perfect for your requirements and below your budget

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I got some super-bright ones in Aldi last year, if you want to keep an eye out for these. A tenner each, front and rear iirc. I probably need to charge them once a week in winter time.

Youre the third person i have heard about these lights from!

i need to start shopping in Aldi!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have a set of the Lezyne Micro Drives, both have a usb connection when you unscrew the back, per the picture below, they charge quickly and last enough for 3-4 hours at a guess, I am good at putting them on charge whenever I take them off the bike. They are only good for being seen, for seeing I have another handlebar mounted light that lights up remote country roads and the like, they come in about 50-60 yoyos a set. Very easy to attach and remove from the bike too.

2013-Lezyne-Micro-Drive-USB-bicycle-lights01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Marrey bikes have some decent offers on the previous model of See.Sense (2.0) at the moment: http://www.marreybikes.com/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&submit_search=&search_query=see.sense. Like some of the others mentioned, they are be seen lights rather than seeing, though I am tempted to pick up the rear even though I've a set of Lezyne Micro Drives already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Not hijacking but I need lights to see where I'm going in the countryside with no street lighting.....floodlight preferably but not one that would blind motorists ....
    Any recommendations €100 max

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

moonshadow wrote: »
    Not hijacking but I need lights to see where I'm going in the countryside with no street lighting.....floodlight preferably but not one that would blind motorists ....
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-macro-drive-600xl-loaded/rp-prod149974 €55 at the moment (40% off). 600 lumens should be loads. I have the 450 lumens model and it's more than enough for unlit rural roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I have two sets of these:

2015 Infini Lava Light Black Twinpack - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007FWIUF8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nWV1xbE3PD608

Front ones are on the handlebars each side of stem, one rear of seat post and one on the back of my helmet. My commute is about 30 mins each way and they'll last almost a week in strobe mode. The front ones have 3 levels of brightness and strobe, the back has I think 2 levels of brightness and 2 different strobe patterns. I had a single set and liked them so much I doubled up, also allows me to rotate the charge if needed. One set should be absolutely fine though.

They're very light, compact, spin 90 degrees to remove. They charge via micro usb, you'll easily charge the two lights in a work day via usb with a single cable. A small yellow LED comes on when the battery is low, but will still last at least 30 mins once it appears, and light output isn't effected by low battery.

They won't light up the road miles in front of you but you certainly won't be missed by motorists with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Danbo! wrote: »
    I have two sets of these:

2015 Infini Lava Light Black Twinpack - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007FWIUF8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nWV1xbE3PD608

Front ones are on the handlebars each side of stem, one rear of seat post and one on the back of my helmet. My commute is about 30 mins each way and they'll last almost a week in strobe mode. The front ones have 3 levels of brightness and strobe, the back has I think 2 levels of brightness and 2 different strobe patterns. I had a single set and liked them so much I doubled up, also allows me to rotate the charge if needed. One set should be absolutely fine though.

They're very light, compact, spin 90 degrees to remove. They charge via micro usb, you'll easily charge the two lights in a work day via usb with a single cable. A small yellow LED comes on when the battery is low, but will still last at least 30 mins once it appears, and light output isn't effected by low battery.

They won't light up the road miles in front of you but you certainly won't be missed by motorists with them.

these look perfect! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

moonshadow wrote: »
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-macro-drive-600xl-loaded/rp-prod149974 €55 at the moment (40% off). 600 lumens should be loads. I have the 450 lumens model and it's more than enough for unlit rural roads.

I've a Cateye Volt 800, and also very good for the same purpose, possibly nearly too bright, but the beam pattern is pretty well focussed. We had 4 of them in rotation for a 2 man team on the Race Around Ireland, and I think they served the racers well for visibility too when turning corners before the headlights of the car followed. You'd nearly get 2 of the ones WA linked for the price though, so that's probably better for your purposes. I happened to get mine marked down to maybe 50 quid or I'd have gone for a smaller one, to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Just borrowing the thread to ask where to find 18650 Li-ion (with protection circuit) cells in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hauki wrote: »
    Just borrowing the thread to ask where to find 18650 Li-ion (with protection circuit) cells in Dublin?
    Try Maplins (Jervis Street) 8782388

Advertisement