Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi a4 2.0 TDI (2012) -- buying a second hand car

• 12-09-2016 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been looking for an audi A4 for the past couple of month and have found one which I really like. It has a relatively low mileage and a good condition.

It is a 2012 audi A4 with approx 40K miles with all the basic spec that you would expect to find in it. It has a 19" alloy which makes it look very sharp.

I've paid deposit (€500) and am about to hand over thousands of hard earned cash this week to collect the car. The car cost 23K.

I am not an expert in buying second hand car and I would really appreciate it if some of you could let me know if there is anything I should be worried about with buying a audi A4 from that era.

Any advice of suggestion will be appreciated.

I would attach a link if it wasn't taken down already by the dealer after I paid the deposit over to them.:rolleyes:

Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

Are you buying from a main dealer? Have you check that the mileage is genuine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Seems a bit pricey. I started a thread a few weeks back about my mate who is selling a 2012 A6 Sline auto for the same price.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057640304

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

23K for a 2012 A4. :eek That's surely main dealer money.

It's also a UK import, no mention of service history in the advert. Have you done a history check on the car as 40k miles is very low for a 4 year old diesel car especially one from the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Christ thats some money for a 2012. Is it specced to the 9s? Mileage also seems a bit fishy to me. Could be genuine if course but 10 k km a year is really low for a diesel.

Nothing spectacular about the spec to be honest imo. It's a S Line Black Edition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Where's the car? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭tommyjin83

logie101 wrote: »
    Are you buying from a main dealer? Have you check that the mileage is genuine?

Thanks, and yes I am buying from a main dealer who has been in business for more than 50 years. There is full service history available and I suppose I could check if the mileage is genuine.

bazz26 wrote: »
    23K for a 2012 A4. :eek That's surely main dealer money.

It's also a UK import, no mention of service history in the advert. Have you done a history check on the car as 40k miles is very low for a 4 year old diesel car especially one from the UK.

Yeah, it is from a main dealer but not an audi dealer. I don't think it is an Uk import. I might do a history check on it to make sure the mileage is genuine.

Christ thats some money for a 2012. Is it specced to the 9s? Mileage also seems a bit fishy to me. Could be genuine if course but 10 k km a year is really low for a diesel.

Yep, it is a bit pricy but as far as I can see it is about the average price for a second hand audi a4 from a main dealer. It does come with a 12 month warranty. And you are right 10k a year seems very low for a diesel.

Where's the car? :confused:

The car is in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do a history check on the car, if you are handing over €23k and not doing a history check you need your head examined.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

tommyjin83 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been looking for an audi A4 for the past couple of month and have found one which I really like. It has a relatively low mileage and a good condition.

It is a 2012 audi A4 with approx 40K miles with all the basic spec that you would expect to find in it. It has a 19" alloy which makes it look very sharp.

I've paid deposit (€500) and am about to hand over thousands of hard earned cash this week to collect the car. The car cost 23K.

I am not an expert in buying second hand car and I would really appreciate it if some of you could let me know if there is anything I should be worried about with buying a audi A4 from that era.

Any advice of suggestion will be appreciated.

I would attach a link if it wasn't taken down already by the dealer after I paid the deposit over to them.:rolleyes:

Thanks a mil.
    Big money for it I have a 02

I had presumed it was this one the OP was talking about:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/Black-Edition/201014561564838280/

Looking at carzone.ie 23k would make it the second most expensive 2012 A4 advertised there.

OP would you consider an A5 Sportback, here is one being sold by a main dealer for similar money:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Audi/A5/Sportback-2.0TDI/9136032673950031818/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

I had presumed it was this one the OP was talking about:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/Black-Edition/201014561564838280/

Looking at carzone.ie 23k would make it the second most expensive 2012 A4 advertised there.

OP would you consider an A5 Sportback, here is one being sold by a main dealer for similar money:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Audi/A5/Sportback-2.0TDI/9136032673950031818/

It's a uk import alright, according to Motorcheck the mileage looks genuine.

1 owner in Ireland since July 16 looks unusual but dealer might have registered it in own name... I'd query this with seller if I were u

I'm sure 23k would buy this too, much nicer looking and higher spec imo than the majority of A4s out there:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/CC/2.0-TDI/201014577034126560/

Thanks for all the responses. There seems to be some misunderstanding which is purely my fault as I don't think my original post was clear enough so I'd like to add in a couple of things for further consideration.

1. This is a family car for both me and my wife. She can't drive manual. Therefore we need an automatic. (which comes with a premium)
    2. I am also trading in my 2005 Renault Laguna (its a bit of banger to be honest). So I am only delighted that I can get rid of it.
    3. I have limited my search on cars located in Dublin only.

Does the above factors change any of your thinking?

Cheers

None of that changes that 23k is rather expensive for a 4 year old A4 imo. Have you looked at anything else?

BTW your Laguna is worth nothing to a dealer and as such he is giving you nothing for it. So rather than he doing you a favor by taking it off your hands he is just reducing the discount he is giving you on the A4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Don't trade in your Laguna, its worth nothing. Sell it for 500 to 1000 and negotiate a cash discount, although you may be too far down the line since you have already paid deposit

None of that changes that 23k is rather expensive for a 4 year old A4 imo. Have you looked at anything else?

BTW your Laguna is worth nothing to a dealer and as such he is giving you nothing for it. So rather than he doing you a favor by taking it off your hands he is just reducing the discount he is giving you on the A4.

I can see where you come from on the Laguna. But I suppose its just a bit of hassle for me to try and sell it privately and hoping someone will take it sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I can see where you come from on the Laguna. But I suppose its just a bit of hassle for me to try and sell it privately and hoping someone will take it sooner rather than later.

You are not loosing anything by keeping it. You'll pay exactly the same if you trade it in or not...

And unless it is a complete bunkers, the buyer will come.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    You are not loosing anything by keeping it. You'll pay exactly the same if you trade it in or not...

And unless it is a complete bunkers, the buyer will come.

Perfect, I will try and re-negotiate. Although, this might be a little too late as the previous discussion was based on me trading in the laguna. But I will give it a try. Sure, what's the worst that could happen.

Your at a serious disadvantage now given that you have already agreed a price and payed a deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

At this stage if you have paid the deposit and like the car (the crucial point here) then just go ahead and buy it.

No point spending €23k on a Passat if you don't like it.

If you like the Audi and have the money then go ahead and buy it, assuming it all checks out. Enjoy your new car 😊

166man wrote: »
    At this stage if you have paid the deposit and like the car (the crucial point here) then just go ahead and buy it.

No point spending €23k on a Passat if you don't like it.

If you like the Audi and have the money then go ahead and buy it, assuming it all checks out. Enjoy your new car 😊

I have an audi myself great cars not a fan of automatics do must tell you that I wouldent drive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

audi12 wrote: »
    I have an audi myself great cars not a fan of automatics do must tell you that I wouldent drive one.

We know you drive an Audi.
    We know you love it.
    We know you've had trouble free motoring with it.

The above information is of little help though.Modern Automatics are great cars to drive,the OP is buying an automatic so you are under no pressure to drive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

166man wrote: »

No point spending 23k on a Passat if you don't like it.

If you like the Audi and have the money then go ahead and buy it, assuming it all checks out. Enjoy your new car

Silence is better than bulli****.

coolbeans wrote: »
    Silence is better than bulli****.

Didnt know I wasn't allowed to give my view as an Audi owner myself

tossy wrote: »
    We know you drive an Audi.
    We know you love it.
    We know you've had trouble free motoring with it.

The above information is of little help though.Modern Automatics are great cars to drive,the OP is buying an automatic so you are under no pressure to drive one.

Just giving my input as an Audi owner myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

You're an Audi owner yourself? G'way...you kept that quiet. 2012 auto is it? Cos that's the only way you'll help the op.

• Advertisement

coolbeans wrote: »
    You're an Audi owner yourself? G'way...you kept that quiet. 2012 auto is it? Cos that's the only way you'll help the op.

Good luck with it anyway OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've had 2 Audi's in past people.

They're great cars and they can also be a pain on ars.

Cars are cars, this one sounds to me its a bit expensive but at same time its very low miles and if all checks out its going to give you years and years of great driving .

Do not be afraid to go back and renegotiate , you are spending a **** load of your money.

I do agree about Laguna tho. Don't trade, get a straight deal and sell Laguna for 10 euro . I guarantee you'll end up better for it .

Good luck with car

Really appreciate your comments and I have thought about it and decided not to go ahead with the original car.

So looking at another 3 options:

1) Audi A5 2012 -- €22,950

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/a5/used-2012-audi-a5-sportback-2-0td-westmeath-fpa-9136032673950031818

2) Audi A4 2014 -- €26,950

http://www.michaelmooreathlone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/1.8TFSI-170BHP/331097437636708888/

3) Audi A6 2012 -- €24,950

http://www.michaelmooreathlone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A6/2.0-TDI/6418256033651449913/

As you can see, I am still looking at audi from a Main dealer. This is going to be a family car and we have a 10 month old baby. So safety and comfort is key. I personally like the A5 as it does have a sporty look but I am not too sure how comfortable it is as a family car.

I am wondering from your experiences are any of these cars overpriced? (probably all of them are)

Which car do you recon would be the best option?

Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Which car do you recon would be the best option?

I am not an Audi person myself, but given similar cars - one saloon and one hb, I would almost certainly get the hatchback...

The a5 coupe is beautiful. As a bmw fan I would buy one no problem. The a5 4 door is not a great looking car I would be looking at a6 or a4 instead.

That a5 is trying to be 2 things and I don't think it quite pulls it off.

bmwguy wrote: »
    The a5 coupe is beautiful. As a bmw fan I would buy one no problem. The a5 4 door is not a great looking car I would be looking at a6 or a4 instead.

That a5 is trying to be 2 things and I don't think it quite pulls it off.

Dont like either of the A5s I prefer the A6 im glad my posts on here had an impact and helped make your mind up on picking an Audi.

• Advertisement

yDx5R.gif

Dont like either of the A5s I prefer the A6 im glad my posts on here had an impact and helped make your mind up on picking an Audi.

But I'm not picking up an Audi, I just said which ones I do like and which ones I don't! And it wouldn't be your posts that make up my mind

Advertisement