Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast Forward wheel problems

Options
  • 12-09-2016 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

Got a set of FF wheels with the FF brand hub. I have had huge problems with the rear hub. Initially the bearings needed replacing after a few 100km and then the free hub packed in. New free hub, new bearings and again both packed in. Wheel was sent to the UK, got broken down and a new rear hub fitted. I just completed Mizen to Malin last week and the bearings in the new hub feel rough as a dogs a*se.... Has anybody else had issues with these hubs, we only got one day of rain doing M2M and I just gave the wheels a quick wipe down with a damp clothe the next morning. When I headed out on a ride today to just spin out the legs I could hear the back hub grinding. I'm going back to the shop again but they look at me as if I'm from another planet, said they have never had an issue with these hubs...said I must of used a power washer on them at some stage....as if.... Is there something on my bike set up that could be causing the hub problems, can't think of anything myself. The bearings themselves don't seem very well protected from the elements.....any help appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Are the bearings the sealed cartridge type??

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Are the bearings the sealed cartridge type??

Yeah, sealed bearings alright....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I've two sets of FFWD wheels and no problems with them. I've had both for a few years now.

TBH that's why I went for them, could find feck all bad reviews or negative press about them.....I'll go back into bike shop during the week and see what they say. The hub was perfect while it was dry, got a good wetting one of the days and today could hear the bearings while out riding....strange one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

I have had FFWD wheels for 3 seasons of racing- lots of races over various terrain- and they have been superb. Just had to true both of them slightly at seasons end; otherwise perfect.

You seem to be very unlucky- although I have DTSwiss hubs so I probably can't comment on that.

• Advertisement

Couldn't justify the extra spend for DT Swiss hubs....when I got the new hub built into the wheel they felt silky smooth when I spun them, same after 500km in the dry, soon as they got a wetting the hub is very rough when I spin the wheel...you can actually hear it when on the bike....we'll p*ssed off. I know well the lads in the bike shop are going to be looking at me as if I'm doing something I shouldn't be, but all I've done since they came back from the UK is wipe the wheels with a damp cloth...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It's easy enough to remove the bearings, and replacement bearings are cheap enough.

If I were you, I'd replace the bearings now and maybe do so on an annual basis.

07Lapierre wrote:
    If I were you, I'd replace the bearings now and maybe do so on an annual basis.

Current bearings have only done 650km, the wheels have only got 1100km on them and are still under manufacturers Warrenty, shop will have them back. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

Rear hubs tend to have some sort of rubber seal to prevent water getting into the bearings in the first place so I'd check to see if they are in place (or get the LBS to check them)

No rubber seal which I also taught was weird, will check with the guys....thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement