Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Central vacuum system

• 12-09-2016 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

While searching this any threads that came up were a few years old so I said I'd start a new one!

I am starting a new build soon and am wondering if anyone has any feedback regarding a central vacuum system such as BEAM?

Comments

We installed one after the missus was "sold" on the idea at one of the selfbuild shows, it's been running for nearly 10 years now.

Good points:
    No heavy cleaner to pull around or up stairs.
    No cord that you need to plug into the nearest socket
    No bag to empty, except for the central unit which is in a "dirty" part of the house.

Bad points:
    about 4-6 times the price of a decent vacuum cleaner.
    needs special outlets on the walls that have to be built in to the house.
    long hose that can be quite awkward to pull around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My parents have installed and running for about 25 years now. Agree with everything dolanbaker says. It was a great device, but I wonder now if Dyson cordless do better

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Nickypicky

We installed one after the missus was "sold" on the idea at one of the selfbuild shows, it's been running for nearly 10 years now.

Good points:
    No heavy cleaner to pull around or up stairs.
    No cord that you need to plug into the nearest socket
    No bag to empty, except for the central unit which is in a "dirty" part of the house.

Bad points:
    about 4-6 times the price of a decent vacuum cleaner.
    needs special outlets on the walls that have to be built in to the house.
    long hose that can be quite awkward to pull around.

I was at a self build show yesterday ! Iv heard that suction isn't as good as good vacuums ? Would you agree? How long should they last? Is their much maintenance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Nickypicky

dudara wrote: »
    My parents have installed and running for about 25 years now. Agree with everything dolanbaker says. It was a great device, but I wonder now if Dyson cordless do better

Wow ! 25 years ! That is great going ! Have they had any issues in the 25 years ? Do you know the name of the brand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ab4248

We have one. Its grand. No issues and in ten years. If I'd time over again I wouldn't bother tho. Hose is so big and awkward. Cordless vacuum all the way.

• Advertisement

Nickypicky wrote: »
    I was at a self build show yesterday ! Iv heard that suction isn't as good as good vacuums ? Would you agree? How long should they last? Is their much maintenance ?
    Ours is quite powerful, as strong a suction as the best free standing units. I'm not sure whether the power restrictions placed on vacuum cleaners apply to the central systems but it is something to be aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭meme74

I dont see the point of having this expense when there are Dysons and other cordless vacuums around

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

meme74 wrote: »
    I dont see the point of having this expense when there are Dysons and other cordless vacuums around
    Main problem though could be if you wanted to vacuum the whole house in one go, and the cordless vacs going flat. Plus their limited dust capacities I guess, and depending on what model you buy, lower suction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sam290

Hiya, My mum and aunt both have beam vacuum systems installed in their homes and have lasted ages without any problems. Plus, any support they needed such as needing to change a filter or even advice on using the system has always been easy to get my contacting their support team. The company they used is Beam Vacuum and Ventilation. In relation to the price they are not expensive as you may think especially considering how long they last. If you contact the company named above they do over a free quotation if price is something you would like to get more information on,

Advertisement