Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Australian Pink Floyd

Options
  • 12-09-2016 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭

Heard on Nova today they are coming here towards the end of September next year. Scheduled to play in the O2

Last time I saw them ( maybe 2-3 years ago ) they played in the Olympia. Brave move going to the O2 I think.

Good luck to them, I'll be going that's for sure!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭exilec

Heard on Nova today they are coming here towards the end of September next year. Scheduled to play in the O2

Last time I saw them ( maybe 2-3 years ago ) they played in the Olympia. Brave move going to the O2 I think.

Good luck to them, I'll be going that's for sure!

tickets from €29 to €99 ... ladies and gentlemen , the celtic tiger is back !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I've seen them loads of times. Well worth going to. Was disappointed they haven't played in a while as they used to come to Ireland every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So this is basically a tribute band but on a grander scale ???

Wonder what the real pink Floyd members think of them ??? Do they endorse them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So this is basically a tribute band but on a grander scale ???

Wonder what the real pink Floyd members think of them ??? Do they endorse them

Not officially as such, but they've connections with Floyd, Gilmour booked them for one of his birthdays (apparently he wanted to see what a Floyd show was like) and Guy Pratt (bassist live with Floyd post Waters and son in law of Richard Wright has joined them on stage).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

exilec wrote: »

:eek: get fcuked ....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

RayCon wrote: »
    :eek: get fcuked ....

they are coming from down-under after all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Do they do a good cover of Robert Miles Children?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

exilec wrote: »

Not doubting your word, but where is your source for the ticket prices? According to Nova, they are only going on release this coming Friday.

Also, if You are right with Your prices, they are playing with fire. I was at David Gilmour's Gig in Wroclaw 3 months ago and the ticket cost Zl100 = €23.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Not officially as such, but they've connections with Floyd, Gilmour booked them for one of his birthdays (apparently he wanted to see what a Floyd show was like) and Guy Pratt (bassist live with Floyd post Waters and son in law of Richard Wright has joined them on stage).

David Gilmour actually booked them for His 50th Birthday bash. Good enough endorsement IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭exilec

Not doubting your word, but where is your source for the ticket prices? According to Nova, they are only going on release this coming Friday.

Also, if You are right with Your prices, they are playing with fire. I was at David Gilmour's Gig in Wroclaw 3 months ago and the ticket cost Zl100 = €23.

That what it shows on the ticketmaster link ..Maybe its a meet and greet or something , which sounds a bit strange for a tribute band ? >>> http://www.ticketmaster.ie/the-australian-pink-floyd-dublin-09-27-2017/event/1800511DA42446F2?artistid=3004754&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=542

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They played the Point before. Started with the Animals album start to finish which was pretty sweet.

They can fook off with those prices though.

David Gilmour actually booked them for His 50th Birthday bash. Good enough endorsement IMO

ooh the Irony! :)

Tough one this one - I mean I really really like Floyd songs... but then there are some I find really boring so i dunno how I'd be at a concert (whether it were real floyd or Tribute band) think i would have to go out for a wee when the boring ones come on. Safe to say though I like every song on DSOTM and most on The Wall album, and Echo's 1&2 tracks but then funny enough I am not mad keen on wish you were here track and dont like the division bell track and not mad keen on the one that stephen horkin features in, whats that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Saw them about 20 years ago in Limerick. I wonder is the three arena a bit big for them? After all, they aren't the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

finbarrk wrote: »
    Saw them about 20 years ago in Limerick. I wonder is the three arena a bit big for them? After all, they aren't the real thing.

They've played there before. Bit mad for a tribute act but when there's no chance of seeing the real deal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Have seen them 4 times, twice in the Olympia, in the Black box in Galway and then the last time in Leisureland. Will most likely go to this. A different set and completely different light show every time. One of the Olympia sets started with TDSOTM from start to finish and I think it was the Black Box set did the full 15 min version of Echoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I've seen the Australian Pink Floyd 3 times. The scale of their show justifies playing the 3arena. When I seen them in the Olympia the last time they played here, the band were cramped on the stage and visuals restricted in their effect.

As I've seen David Gilmour (going again later this month) and Roger Waters live, I was reluctant to go to a "tribute act", but I've got to say the Aussie Floyd put on a show that dwarfs the scale of a lot of original artists.

One of the original members of the Aussie Floyd, Damien Darlington, broke away and formed Brit Floyd, who are equally as impressive.

I would recommend anyone who has any doubts about going to this gig to go.
    You wont be disappointed.

poundhound wrote: »

One of the original members of the Aussie Floyd, Damien Darlington, broke away and formed Brit Floyd, who are equally as impressive.

Look at the size of this audience for Brit Floyd for example in Amsterdam a few years back so it just shows how much of a crowd a tribute band can pull in if they are good. Brit Floyd plays the royal Albert hall in November I think it is.
    https://youtu.be/bmyzFSc4VMg

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

Tough one this one - I mean I really really like Floyd songs... but then there are some I find really boring so i dunno how I'd be at a concert (whether it were real floyd or Tribute band) think i would have to go out for a wee when the boring ones come on. Safe to say though I like every song on DSOTM and most on The Wall album, and Echo's 1&2 tracks but then funny enough I am not mad keen on wish you were here track and dont like the division bell track and not mad keen on the one that stephen horkin features in, whats that one?
    I'd agree with all of this. I love Pink Floyd and went to see the Australian Pink Floyd about 10 years ago and was pretty disappointed. It was note perfect but no atmosphere. Every few songs they changed the projected image from eg an Australian shaped prism representing DSOTM to a kangaroo shaking hands with a burning man representing Wish You Were Here but I just thought I might just as well have listened to the CD. Obviously many others disagree as the band are still selling big venues but not for me. And if true that a tribute band can charge E99 - flabbergasted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I just had a look on TM.
    All standing is €60 (before the booking fees!) Most of the seating is €50, but there are some for €99.

The top deck is closed off, and there will be curtains closing it off, so the arena doesn't look empty. That's how it was the time i saw them in the point / O2.

They are very good, but those prices are mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Just giving the trend a bump. I agree with most here that the ticket prices are very high but I'm looking forward to seeing them. I have see one of the Irish tributes, "breathe" and they are fantastic so I hope being in a big arena enhances it.
    I saw Aussie Pink Floyd years ago in the old point and it was a cracking show. It also helped it was a Saturday night then, might even be before the smoking ban because I have a vague memory of weed being passed around :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I've seen both The Australian Pink Floyd (several years ago) and Brit Floyd (last November in the Royal Albert Hall), and I'd have to say that Brit Floyd wipe the floor with the APF....just my tuppence ha'worth.

I'd be more inclined to spend my hard-earned on Paul Carrack in the Olympia...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Patww79 wrote: »

Yes you COULD actually, Waters still has to announce an Irish date, but I imagine his tickets to be sixty odd possibly for what is rumoured to be a 3Arena show. You will get to see the principle songwriter of said group, OK, he is touring a new solo album, but he still has lots of Floyd goodies in there too. I would have a slight interest in a tribute act myself if they were to include more obscurer stuff like tracks from Obscured by Clouds, Meddle, The Embryo, Set the Controls, Fat Old Sun, Green is the Colour and Careful With that axe, Eugene and the like. Most tributes pay homage to the classic four (Waters era) albums and some of the Gilmour era late eighties early nineties stuff and neglect some of these early gems. Even some solo Barrett stuff or 67 era Floyd, most of the Floyd played on Barrett's solo stuff too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

€99 to see a tribute act wtf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Any idea what time these will be on stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭culline

My word.

Advertisement