Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks at Cabinteely cross.

Options
  • 12-09-2016 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭

What is going on. I've been stuck at cornelscourt for 15 minutes now and I'm barely a third of the way to Cabinteely. Have they stepped up the work? (what are they doing anyway)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

G5zftKy.jpg

yup

new bus stop, left hand turn lane and cycle lane

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can find nothing on this on the DLR co co website, the most recent item in the 'Latest News' section of their roads maintenance webpage is dated June 27th ......

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/travel-transport/road-maintenance

and on their 'Public Notices' webpage, the last traffic related notice is dated August 26th...

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news-type/public-notices

thankfully AA Roadwatch are on the ball......

A stop/go system and lane restrictions are in place on the N11 Stillorgan Rd at the Johnstown Rd jct until approx. the end of Nov. From Mon 12th to Thurs 22nd Sept major works will take place between 7pm and 5am each night, Mon - Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They are upgrading the junction to a poor standard
    http://irishcycle.com/2016/05/11/dun-laoghaire-rathdowns-cycle-route-upgrades-continue-to-ignore-safety-guidance/

Wyattville is next. I guess it's all to allow for the additional traffic from cherrywood. Along with the removal of the roundabout etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The removal of what roundabout?

BTW, if yesterday is like today avoid that stretch and take the old bray road - but I think today it was just a case that the lads on the stop go signs greatly underestimated how much southbound traffic there was. Someone obviously kicked them up the ass, becuase having not moved far in twenty minutes they suddenly waved loads of us through. Hopefully just teething errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

errlloyd wrote: »

BTW, if yesterday is like today avoid that stretch and take the old bray road - but I think today it was just a case that the lads on the stop go signs greatly underestimated how much southbound traffic there was. Someone obviously kicked them up the ass, becuase having not moved far in twenty minutes they suddenly waved loads of us through. Hopefully just teething errors.

The big one between the M50 and the fly over at cherrywood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Never understand why they don't make the right hand turning lanes when going northbound 2 or 3 times as long as they are now, plenty of space, and it always clogs up the morning traffic as everyone has to sneak left to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

errlloyd wrote: »

I was stuck there too, right at the crossroads coming from Cabinteely trying to get to Johnstown Road. Stop/Go system was terrible. It gave priority to one road only for nearly 10 minutes, then the next etc. I could see southbound moving, then johnstown road, then northbound. People were even getting out of their cars to tell them to turn the signs. Hopefully that was just a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I was stuck there too, right at the crossroads coming from Cabinteely trying to get to Johnstown Road. Stop/Go system was terrible. It gave priority to one road only for nearly 10 minutes, then the next etc. I could see southbound moving, then johnstown road, then northbound. People were even getting out of their cars to tell them to turn the signs. Hopefully that was just a once off.

More of the same this evening. Traffic at a complete standstill going south from Cornelscourt around 9pm. Shambolic.

I heard a discussion about the JobBridge program (unpaid youngsters getting exploited interns getting work 'experience') on the radio a few weeks ago, a guy said he was in the program and was sent to work for a roads contractor, they put him on the Stop/Go paddles with zero training.

In fairness, you can't do traffic control at a crossroads and let opposing traffic run at the same time unless someone who knows what they are doing can filter the traffic turning right. It's all too easy (especially if you're not getting paid) to simply give the green to one stream at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The maths behind traffic flow are extraordinarily complex - so I have a lot of sympathy for individuals trying to control such a large junction with a stop go. Took a guy I live with 20 minutes to get through Cabinteely Cross Northbound last night around 8:30.

I guess it's time for alternate routes where possible, though I live on the N11 Southbound between Cabinteely and Cherrywood, so Southbound I really have no other choice. (Bar the Uturn, but it would be one hell of a trek around the world)

• Advertisement

Driving north or south, at off-peak times you could consider using the short stretch of the M50 between Cherrywood (exit 16) and Glenamuck Road (exit 15) to avoid that junction. The link to the N11 north of the junction would be at the Magic Carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

woejus wrote: »
    G5zftKy.jpg

yup

new bus stop, left hand turn lane and cycle lane
    The left hand turn lane does not appear to be any different from what I can see. Main thing is the bus stop and the footpath going all the way around into johnstown road. Used to be very dangerous there as idiots would walk along the cycle lane and people would come off the N11 at huge speed only to encounter these morons, even though there was a big grass verge to walk on.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2622606,-6.1489715,3a,75y,333.96h,71.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDzI2cCgjxsz-q2vdn-tVMw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Some of the extra special idiots would walk on the inner kerb like it was a tightrope wire, and keep falling off it into the way of bikes.

People in the estate had to go all over the world if they were to get to the bus stop on the cabinteely village side. If you were in 1 point in the estate you had to cross the road and cross again at lights to get to the cabinteely school side, cross a second set of lights, then another road, then the flyover, then another set of lights. Instead they would walk on the cycle track and cross N11 direct to the bus stop.

I saw many near misses as you saw herds of people running across, one trip and they'd be a gonner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Downside of moving the southbound bus stop north of the junction:
    1) it is removed from the 84/84A route.
    2) it is less accessible for those going to/from Cabinteely village and points further west.

Upsides:
    .... umm ...

Advertisement