Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't give up jobseekers

Options
  • 12-09-2016 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

I'm starting a new job after many years of jobhunting. My last employer was in 2002 so I thought I will never work again. I've 14 yrs work experience accross a few industries so had a wide search. I'm happy and scared at the same time !

Any tips for someone who has been out this long ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Take it slow. Your initial feeling is going to be you're an invincible king of the world. Take on what you can do and no more. If you've come in, in a relatively junior role keep you're head down and try not to make too many (not none but not too many waves). Companies have gotten very touchy about criticism in the last few years IMHO. Everything has to be positive - get that rep first then make small and innovative contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

dont be afraid to ask questions.

if you dont know something ask...

and enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

As someone who's started many, many jobs at many different companies (I was a highly in-demand temp for a few years), the best tips I can give you are to smile and look pleasant, "notice what table manners others are using", and don't be sucked into alliances until you know the lay of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭bikermartin

dont be afraid to ask questions.

if you dont know something ask...

and enjoy it!

Its a well established company, going 45 years, I just had to encourage other people who really want to work to explore every avenue. I completed an honours degree in architecture in 2010, the job is within construction, within project management, quantity surveying and some construction detailing...... Plus anything else that may be required.

I have 6 yrs experience in the field so I think I can bring a lot to the post. That's why I'm hired !!!

I will gain new skills and will be learning a new cad programme, but I am hoping this is the career that will suit me.

Onwards and upwards from here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Its a well established company, going 45 years, I just had to encourage other people who really want to work to explore every avenue. I completed an honours degree in architecture in 2010, the job is within construction, within project management, quantity surveying and some construction detailing...... Plus anything else that may be required.

I have 6 yrs experience in the field so I think I can bring a lot to the post. That's why I'm hired !!!

I will gain new skills and will be learning a new cad programme, but I am hoping this is the career that will suit me.

You're learning a new CAD program but you may also be asked to use it within a context of inventory and change management, which is actually my specialty as someone whose last job was primarily in database administration and software training for an engineering company. Let me stress very firmly indeed that a good relationship with your IT department (even if it is just "the person who does our computer stuff") will make the rest of your work much easier. The best ways to make points with your IT people are to be as available as you can to give them the information they need, understand that they want you to get back to work as much as you do, and allow them to diagnose your issue if necessary by applying obvious fixes first and moving on to less obvious ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Revit by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Well done OP, that is huge.

Best of luck and go easy on yourself initially! It will take a while to come up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭bikermartin

Revit by any chance?

Advance Steel...by graphisoft/ AutoCAD I think

Advertisement