Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 String Finger Style/Index finger probs

• 12-09-2016 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm playing a lot recently and have constant problem with nail damage/soreness on index finger. I'm using all fingers to pick steel string acoustic, and using my index finger to strum when needed. I'm going easy enough too, not thrashing it!

The index finger problem is really noticeable on medium gauge strings, and not so bad on lights. But I not sure my technique is sustainable on lights and maybe I should be looking to change my strumming style?

Should I be using a plastic finger pick on index finger? (I can use standard plectrum well enough but it doesn't suit my song style at present).

Should I be changing my technique? Any videos out there? Or ways to protect/harden nail?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

try using picks, they will require a change in your technique though, I find them really awkward to use. "Alaska Picks" might be worth trying (they fit under your nail, effectively replacing it with a plastic nail).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I still find it hard playing fingerstyle without my finger nails grown. I usually do most my finger picking playing when I have time off as I need to have short fingernails in clinical environments. I tried a thumb pick and didnt really like it.

Advertisement